• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

EU believes gardai are racial profiling

MrD011

The European commission against racism and intolerance (ECRI) in their fourth monitoring report of Ireland have said it was aware of claims that many non-Irish nationals were subjected to police stops and asked to produce identity documents "which in practice can result in racist incidents and the profiling of individuals on the basis of their colour" ,

They recommended that the government "should consider adopting legislation prohibiting any form of racial profiling" and establish "an independent authority competant to deal with cases of descrimination"

The report also criticised spending cuts to English langauge courses for Immigrants and said that "ireland is not very well prepared to help new immigrants enter the school system".

The report also stated that the accomodation for asylum seekers has a negative impact on their family life and is unsuitable for long periods of stay (even though the spending on asylum accomodation alone is 65 million euro per year)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my questions are so ,

If such legislation is introduced that stops so called racial profiling will a Garda who spots somebody acting suspiciously be unable to confront that person because of the colour of their skin and what if accross the road he spots a white man acting suspiciously and goes and confronts him instead only to find the man is wearing a polish football Jersey and therefore he too cannot be confronted .

I mean where exactly can you draw the line , on what races do you apply the laws , Irish people are a race too , so is it racial profiling to confront an Irish Person acting suspiciously .

what are peoples thoughts here on the ECRI report.:lol:

Last edited:
F*** off EU

If you have a problem with funding then pony up the cash instead of wasting it on reports.

johnny365

I see, has the EU done any study on how EU enforced Austerity is driving thousands of Irish people away from their homeland?

Dr Pat

Usual tosh from EU probably gleaned from reported whining from liberal-leftie 'professional' mass migration lobbyists who claim to justify their ugly and pointless presence by loudly haranguing the unfortunate and long suffering Irish public. I wish they would all just go take a permanent jump and leave us be.

Clanrickard

F*** off EU

If you have a problem with funding then pony up the cash instead of wasting it on reports.
I see, has the EU done any study on how EU enforced Austerity is driving thousands of Irish people away from their homeland?
Usual tosh from EU probably gleaned from reported whining from liberal-leftie 'professional' mass migration lobbyists who claim to justify their ugly and pointless presence by loudly haranguing the unfortunate and long suffering Irish public. I wish they would all just go take a permanent jump and leave us be.
It is nothing to do with the EU. The ECRI is part of the Council of Europe.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Does Ireland pay any money to keep this body in existence? if so Why?

Dr Pat

Ok, point taken but they do share flag, etc. As to the substance of what they say, it is more of the same well-meaning but ultimately spurious waffle and I wish they would just clear off.

Racist

Ok, point taken but they do share flag, etc. As to the substance of what they say, it is more of the same well-meaning but ultimately spurious waffle and I wish they would just clear off.
The guy representing Ireland in the ECRI is a solicitor by the name of Michael Farrell, he was the senior solicitor with the free legal advice centres or FLAC. Who receive funding from Atlantic philanthropies, who also fund many pro immigration groups in Ireland.

Council of Europe- European Commission Against Racism and Intolerance

Asylum-seeker exclusion is mean-minded » News & Events » Latest News & Issues : FLAC (Free Legal Advice Centres)

BlackLion

I am a fan of what Europe can be but sometimes it feels like they are sticking their finger at us, while at the same time wagging it at us in disgust.

Dame_Enda

The ECRI is NOT an EU institution. Will thread starters please bother to do the research before automatically assuming that every organisation with "European" in it belongs to the EU? Plz. :roll:

There is no proof there is racial profiling. But having said that, I think the Gardai are entitled to take social origins into account if they are relevant to the likely national background of illegal immigrants, based on historical experience.

L'Chaim

Not a good week for Ireland is it? The laundries saga, a report about travellers that shows the government in a bad light and now this by the EU.

Mercurial

The European commission against racism and intolerance (ECRI) in their fourth monitoring report of Ireland have said it was aware of claims that many non-Irish nationals were subjected to police stops and asked to produce identity documents "which in practice can result in racist incidents and the profiling of individuals on the basis of their colour" ,

They recommended that the government "should consider adopting legislation prohibiting any form of racial profiling" and establish "an independent authority competant to deal with cases of descrimination"

The report also criticised spending cuts to English langauge courses for Immigrants and said that "ireland is not very well prepared to help new immigrants enter the school system".

The report also stated that the accomodation for asylum seekers has a negative impact on their family life and is unsuitable for long periods of stay (even though the spending on asylum accomodation alone is estimated around 70 million euro per year)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my questions are so ,

If such legislation is introduced that stops so called racial profiling will a member of the Gardai who spots somebody acting suspiciously be unable to confront that person because of the colour of their skin and what if accross the road he spots a white man acting suspiciously and goes and confronts him instead only to find the man is wearing a polish football Jersey and therefore he too cannot be confronted .

I mean where exactly can you draw the line , on what races do you apply the laws , Irish people are a race too , so is it racial profiling to confront an Irish Person acting suspiciously .

I agree with the recommendations.

(Would you like me to change the thread title from "EU" to "ECRI"?)

Al.

The report also stated that the accomodation for asylum seekers has a negative impact on their family life and is unsuitable for long periods of stay (even though the spending on asylum accomodation alone is estimated around 70 million euro per year)

my questions are so ,

If such legislation is introduced that stops so called racial profiling will a member of the Gardai who spots somebody acting suspiciously be unable to confront that person because of the colour of their skin and what if accross the road he spots a white man acting suspiciously and goes and confronts him instead only to find the man is wearing a polish football Jersey and therefore he too cannot be confronted .

Sounds like a plan to replace the Garda Siochána with a EU police force.

And they keep saying that the Council of Europe isn't part of the EU even though they use the same flag...now if there was a Council of America that used the Stars and Stripes and insisted that it wasn't part of the USA, or a Council of Eurasia that used the star/hammer/sickle red flag and insisted that it wasn't of the USSR, what would people think, eh?

Clanrickard

FrankSpeaks

I have reported the title, it is totally misleading, I recommend everyone else who objects to the title to do the same.

Dr Pat

The guy representing Ireland in the ECRI is a solicitor by the name of Michael Farrell, he was the senior solicitor with the free legal advice centres or FLAC. Who receive funding from Atlantic philanthropies, who also fund many pro immigration groups in Ireland.

Council of Europe- European Commission Against Racism and Intolerance

Asylum-seeker exclusion is mean-minded » News & Events » Latest News & Issues : FLAC (Free Legal Advice Centres)
Thanks for that. When you look at it, it is the same old tired tune being played at various levels but often by the same players. Given that Atlantic Philanthropies have been handing out the dosh to lots of the migrant rights lobbyists, is it a case of he who pays the piper calls the tune? If that is the case, should the Irish People be asking Mr Chuck Feeney and his Board worthies to be explaining exactly why the promotion of migrant rights in Ireland is so important?

Ireland is not the USA with huge space and resources and upto relatively recently we were fairly homogeneous in makeup. We have no wish to have our country turned into some sort of confused interminable 'rights-based' multicultural project irrespective of the views and actions of the likes of characters like Shatter, Lentin and Bacik and whether or not it suits the interests of global capitalism or it is for some other purpose.

Last edited:

Astral Peaks

And you would say no to their portion of the bailout money, the Structural Funds monies and Education Development funding too?

Astral Peaks

All the usual suspects are here, I see.

By the way, I agree with this ECRI decision.