EU Commision appoints INM Chief Editor to "Fake News" "expert" group (this is not a joke)

Analyzer

EU Commision appoints INM Chief Editor to "Fake News" "expert" group (this is not a joke)

This is not an April Fools Day joke. It looks like one. It definitely looks farcical.

The old joke comes to mind "truth is stranger than fiction.

Here is it from the main comic of the DOBlin media.

https://www.independent.ie/business/media/inm-editorinchief-appointed-to-eu-expert-group-to-tackle-fake-news-36482020.html

The EU Commission/Politburo, in a moment of utter absurdity has selected the Editor in chief of a newspaper that produces such gems as "Payback Time" to commence fighting...."fake news".

Presumably Gemma Doherty (sacked after she told the truth about the penalty points scandal) from INM, will get the irony of this better, than most.

The EU are clearly killing irony here.

Dinnymedia IS "Fake News".

One wonders if Big Fill had any influence in this.

Last edited:

Analyzer

Apparently....

The group has been established to advise the European Commission on all issues in relation to the spread of false information across traditional and social media, and on how to cope with its social and political consequences.
The fact that they are concerned about "false information across traditional" media is the bit that is the most hilarious.

The "Irish" (tax non domicile owned) "Indpendent (if you use your independent conscience you get the Gemma Doherty treatment) is a farce in terms of churnalism.

Anybody want Willie O'Dea, Sean "ontrahprahnhoor" Gallagher, or the ex-Taoiseach's ex-girlfriend for the "facts" ???

Catalpast

Its only the start as the Political & Media Establishments row back on the Freedom the Internet gave each and everyone one of us to be our own reporters

- and have access to anyone who cared to listen...

Civic_critic2

They don't care if you believe them or not or if what they state is absurd or not - in a time of dictatorship you will do what you're told and will be given the official truth, whther you like it or not. For that reason these moves over 'fake news' are more disturbing than ironic or farcical; they indicate a move towards straightforward force against the population by the establishments across the western world.

HenryHorace

Actually fairly disturbing that.

Spanner Island

This is not an April Fools Day joke. It looks like one. It definitely looks farcical.

The old joke comes to mind "truth is stranger than fiction.

Here is it from the main comic of the DOBlin media.

https://www.independent.ie/business/media/inm-editorinchief-appointed-to-eu-expert-group-to-tackle-fake-news-36482020.html

The EU Commission/Politburo, in a moment of utter absurdity has selected the Editor in chief of a newspaper that produces such gems as "Payback Time" is now fighting...."fake news".

Presumably Gemma Doherty (sacked after she told the truth about the penalty points scandal) from INM, will get the irony of this better, than most.

The EU are clearly killing irony here.

Dinnymedia IS "Fake News".

One wonders if Big Fill had any influence in this.
Just because you may despise a particular paper and the views expressed in it doesn't mean it's 'fake news'...

This 'fake news' thing really is beyond bullsh!t at this stage...

It's gotten to the stage whereby any views or facts expressed with which some people disagree means those views and facts are automatically labelled 'fake news'...

Don't get me wrong... INM is a rag but FFS... it's not 'fake news' for the most part...

wombat

I must admit that I thought it was a windup when I read it, the Indo is what it is but I don't see how what people read or choose to believe is the business of the EU?

The_SR

The Indo is a shadow of its former self, but that doesn't mean it's intrinsically wrong to have their input into a very real issue.

The_SR

I must admit that I thought it was a windup when I read it, the Indo is what it is but I don't see how what people read or choose to believe is the business of the EU?
Nobody will be stopping anyone reading or thinking anything. The issue is blogs and fake news factories being given the same prominence and billing as established media outlets. It is a problem.

Analyzer

If the "Irish" "Independent" want to lie and deliberately ignore scandals, corruption, and popular disgust (as exemplified by the Water protests ), then that is their business. By all accounts it is an expensive approach to business. Everywhere I go I see large piles of the comic, that people are refusing to buy.

But one of principal architects of their antics is the least suitably qualified to decide what is real and false.

His track record suggests complete unsuitability for any role concerning policy formulation on the media.

FunkyBoogaloo

Just because you may despise a particular paper and the views expressed in it doesn't mean it's 'fake news'...

This 'fake news' thing really is beyond bullsh!t at this stage...

It's gotten to the stage whereby any views or facts expressed with which some people disagree means those views and facts are automatically labelled 'fake news'...

Don't get me wrong... INM is a rag but FFS... it's not 'fake news' for the most part...
How does one tell the difference?

If, as you say, INM is not fake news for the most part, then I think it's fair to put them in the fake news box.

Or at least the box yer wan with a face like a melted welly kept repeating (Can't remember her name at the minute). The alternative facts box.

Edit: Kelly Ann Conway was her name, I think. PR person for Trump at one point or another.

Analyzer

Nobody will be stopping anyone reading or thinking anything. The issue is blogs and fake news factories being given the same prominence and billing as established media outlets. It is a problem.
You are being deliberately dishonest here. In fact you go to a lot of trouble to ignore the definite hypocrisy of having a media oligopoly that has declining credibility, decide what is truth.

The established media IS a false news factory.

In fact it has been for decades.

Under Denis O'Brien, the "Irish" "Independent" has become a farce. Sam Smyth gone. Gemma Doherty kicked out. And a complete whitewash on events like the Water Protest, taxpayer funded debt write downs for corporate entities owned by tax non domicile billionaires.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

The Indo is a shadow of its former self, but that doesn't mean it's intrinsically wrong to have their input into a very real issue.
I guess its like interviewing burglars to get more background into how to protect your home?

Analyzer

Was that an attempt to out-do the irony of the EU commission ?

One of their owners needs to be prosecuted over the findings of the Moriarty Tribunal. Instead nothing is happening. The law is not implemented, in effect, facilitating "intrinsically wrong" behaviour.

His media machine is not reporting any of this.

Spanner Island

How does one tell the difference?

If, as you say, INM is not fake news for the most part, then I think it's fair to put them in the fake news box.

Or at least the box yer wan with a face like a melted welly kept repeating (Can't remember her name at the minute). The alternative facts box.

Edit: Kelly Ann Conway was her name, I think. PR person for Trump at one point or another.
Nah... INM just like most 'media' companies these days occupy a specific position on the political spectrum...

It doesn't mean what they produce is 'fake news'.

It may be tasteless or thoughtless or lazy arsed journalism that doesn't delve very deeply into certain issues... but then that's a problem for the entire media 'establishment' in Ireland... there are few who engage in real investigative journalism.

For the most part though... they report what's going on while their editorial leanings are... well... what they are...

Just because people may despise the editorial leanings doesn't mean they're 'fake news' outlets.

More often than not that particular whinge is just a lazy arsed response by people who disagree with what they're reading, listening to or watching...

Trump has a lot to answer for... as do the likes of Blair and Campbell because it was they and their shameless and relentless spinning and media manipulation that created such disillusion among the public with media outlets.

I'm not sure the EU should be doing this although I would fully support the EU putting real pressure on the likes of Facebook and Twitter etc. because they are media companies whether they like it or not.

FunkyBoogaloo

Nah... INM just like most 'media' companies these days occupy a specific position on the political spectrum...

It doesn't mean what they produce is 'fake news'.

It may be tasteless or thoughtless or lazy arsed journalism that doesn't delve very deeply into certain issues... but then that's a problem for the entire media 'establishment' in Ireland... there are few who engage in real investigative journalism.

For the most part though... they report what's going on while their editorial leanings are... well... what they are...

Just because people may despise the editorial leanings doesn't mean they're 'fake news' outlets.

More often than not that particular whinge is just a lazy arsed response by people who disagree with what they're reading, listening to or watching...

Trump has a lot to answer for... as do the likes of Blair and Campbell because it was they and their shameless and relentless spinning and media manipulation that created such disillusion among the public with media outlets.

I'm not sure the EU should be doing this although I would fully support the EU putting real pressure on the likes of Facebook and Twitter etc. because they are media companies whether they like it or not.
Media outlets are themselves to blame too.

But an excellent post nonetheless.

Analyzer

The_SR

You are being deliberately dishonest here. In fact you go to a lot of trouble to ignore the definite hypocrisy of having a media oligopoly that has declining credibility, decide what is truth.

The established media IS a false news factory.

In fact it has been for decades.

Under Denis O'Brien, the "Irish" "Independent" has become a farce. Sam Smyth gone. Gemma Doherty kicked out. And a complete whitewash on events like the Water Protest, taxpayer funded debt write downs for corporate entities owned by tax non domicile billionaires.
And again, I commented on the decline of the Indo.

Stating that the Indo isn't at the same level of infowars or the Moldovan fake news factories is not defending the Talbot St output.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies