EU Commission still paying McCreevy €96,000 a year despite new employment

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
17 former members of the European Commission, including Charlie McCreevy are receiving annual payments of €96,000 despite having found other employment.

A report on the EUObserver website today reports that the annual "transitional allowance" is to assist former European Commission members "ease" back into private sector employment following their work with the Commission.

Since leaving his office in February 2010, Mr McCreevy has become a member of the supervisory board of Ryanair airlines, with an annual salary calculated by the Alter-EU anti-lobbying campaign group of up to €47,000.

But he is still said to get an additional €11,000 of transition money from the commission. The same amount is thought to go to Mr Borg who currently works for Fipra, a PR consultancy lobbying on maritime issues.

The commission's allowance rules say the transitional money is paid for three years and the sum is between 40 percent and 65 percent of the basic salary of a commissioner (€20,278 per month), depending on the length of service.
Nick Webb in The Sunday Independent at the weekend reported that McCreevy had joined the board of the €4bn "corporate raider" investment group NBNK "headed up by the former Lloyds chairman Lord Levene" just before it floated. Webb's piece on the front page of the business section reported that the firm was eyeing up AIB UK's operations because NBNK had "plans to create a new high-street UK bank".

The EUobserver goes on to report that the Alliance for Lobbying Transparency and Ethics Regulation has raised concern over McCreevy's continued payments from the European Commmission now that he's on the board of Ryanair saying it "give serious cause for concern".

spotty

He worked hard for that money. And it only takes 3 taxpayers at the average industrial wage paying all their taxes for a year to pay his pension.

Frankly, after the service he did the nation, it's the least we can do.

louis bernard

He worked hard for that money. And it only takes 3 taxpayers at the average industrial wage paying all their taxes for a year to pay his pension.

Still having a laugh I see, please keep it up but don’t be under the impression that anyone is taking you serious.

Asparagus

Actually spotser - given the average industrial wage is 32000 it would take 18-19 of these brave souls to reward this soldier of destiny for his part in where we are.

And thats just his EU Commission allowance .. how many tax takes cover the whole charlie pacakge?

councilkid

Is there no way to tempt him back to help sort out the current problems here? (I'm joking, of course)

He3

The people in those circles vote each other nice packages full of public money. The size of the package is supposed to reflect the responsibilities of the post.

The catch is that even if the post-holder destroys an entire country's social fabric by failing in their responsibilities they get to keep the money.

Paying for their failure is the public's responsibility.

Passer-by

As a matter of interest, how much does he get in total from his (multiple) TD and Ministerial pensions?

It would be interesting to see if he is better off as an ex-TD/ex-Minister or as an ex-Commisssioner in financial terms.

sondagefaux

I presume he gets an Irish ministerial pension and a TD's pension too?

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
It would be interesting to see if he is better off as an ex-TD/ex-Minister or as an ex-Commisssioner in financial terms.
Would he not benefit doubly in this situation? Are you asking which of them pays better? This "transitional allowance" doesn't include any pension payment.

Last edited:

Asparagus

That really is something to make you choke. It's unbelievable that they are entitled to ministerial and TD pensions while they are still working.
Look at the army pensions 38-40 year old pensioners on 3/4 pay for life

charlie and the politicos are only the feckin tip

louis bernard

Will someone with the time and inclination work out what exactly this character is getting paid every year? I really don’t have the time.

Passer-by

Would be not benefit doubly in this situation? Are you asking which of them pays better? This "transitional allowance" doesn't include any pension payment.
He does benefit doubly and, yes, I am wondering which pays better.

Isn't there an equivalent to the "transition allowance" for outgoing TDs and Senators also (i.e. ones not re-elected to the Oireachtas for whatever reason)?

Oh, if only my Career Guidance teacher had pointed out the benefit (packages) of public service to me when it might have made a difference. :)

Radix

And has he not done our superstate some service?

A day's pay for a day's work and a little bit for himself when he retires to less demanding role.

Sure wouldn't we all like that.

I think we're bein a bit begrudgin and jealous, moanin and cribbin from the sidelines.....

Alls I know is that I don't know why ye all don't emigrate.

So there.:)

kerdasi amaq

If he's spending the money in Ireland; it's all good.

turdsl

It is to help ease him back into the Labour market, It disappears after a few years when he gets a new job.

Popular Threads

Most Replies