EU Commissioner for “Protecting our European way of life” – A bridge too far?

NYCKY

Incoming European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen in naming her choices for the EU's new top team, announced that Margaritis Schinas of Greece would be a nominee for a Vice President spot but would also get the portfolio with the dubious title of Protecting our European Way of Life. If confirmed, Mr Schinas would oversee migration, security, employment and education.

Unsurprisingly, the title has proved highly controversial.

Juncker criticizes von der Leyen over ‘European way of life’ commissioner

Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker criticized the decision of his successor to create a commissioner for "Protecting the European Way of Life" because it suggested that welcoming migrants is against the Continent's values.

In a highly unusual intervention before Ursula von der Leyen has formally taken over at the Berlaymont, Juncker told Euronews on Thursday he objected to the move and predicted it would be reversed.
MEPs damn 'protecting European way of life' job title

The European commission’s incoming president has been pilloried for giving the EU’s most senior official on migration the job title “protecting our European way of life”.
“There was absolute, complete condemnation,” he said, speaking after a group meeting on Wednesday. “If that [title] survives then we are in a bad position as progressives, because it is an embarrassment for us.”

Sophie in ‘t Veld, a Dutch liberal MEP who works on migration law, said the decision was misguided and urged Von der Leyen to withdraw the title. “The very point about the European way of life is the freedom for individuals to choose their own way of life,” she said.
I have a hunch that the title of the portfolio gets changed. The EU parliament has some form here. In 2004, then Italian, Rocco Buttiglione, the nominee for the Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs had expressed controversial anti homosexual views. Enough parties in the European parliament made it clear that the whole commission would be rejected and ultimately Buttigliones nomination was withdrawn and he was replaced.

To be fair, this is a different issue and it’s not Mr Costas himself but the proposed title of his portfolio.

Last edited:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
A bit of a blunder, alright, that title or portfolio. One of my fears of the future within the European Union political structure is that it will start spending a lot of time and money in promoting a cultural homogeneity.

This would turn out inadvertantly or deliberately to mean an attack on the large patchwork quilt which is Europe's true and real identity.

The thoughts of McDonalds and Travel Lodges being separated only by roundabouts from Stettin in the Baltic to Trieste in Italy is not a vision of a future Europe I'd find encouraging.

I'm very happy to be Irish first and European second. I don't want to see the latter set itself up to discourage the former.

Shouldn't 'protecting our European way of life' mean protecting what is glorious about Europe- it's very cultural diversity and space as a cultural crossroads of the world?

owedtojoy

Incoming European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen in naming her choices for the EU's new top team, announced that Margaritis Schinas of Greece would be a nominee for a Vice President spot but would also get the portfolio with the dubious title of Protecting our European Way of Life. If confirmed, Mr Schinas would oversee migration, security, employment and education.

I have a hunch that the title of the portfolio gets changed. The EU parliament has some form here. In 2004, then Italian, Rocco Buttiglione, the nominee for the Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs had expressed controversial anti homosexual views. Enough parties in the European parliament made it clear that the whole commission would be rejected and ultimately Buttigliones nomination was withdrawn and he was replaced.

To be fair, this is a different issue and it’s not Mr Costas himself but the proposed title of his portfolio.
Bad choice.

First of all, too much of a gesture to the far right.

Second, too vague. It might as well be Commissioner for Apple Pie, or Commissioner for Good Sex. Who could be against Apple Pie or Good Sex?

Need to look again.

Clanrickard

Long overdue. You want to live in the EU you adapt.

Clanrickard

A bit of a blunder, alright, that title or portfolio. One of my fears of the future within the European Union political structure is that it will start spending a lot of time and money in promoting a cultural homogeneity.

This would turn out inadvertantly or deliberately to mean an attack on the large patchwork quilt which is Europe's true and real identity.

The thoughts of McDonalds and Travel Lodges being separated only by roundabouts from Stettin in the Baltic to Trieste in Italy is not a vision of a future Europe I'd find encouraging.

I'm very happy to be Irish first and European second. I don't want to see the latter set itself up to discourage the former.

Shouldn't 'protecting our European way of life' mean protecting what is glorious about Europe- it's very cultural diversity and space as a cultural crossroads of the world?
Diversity should be at the bottom of the list of what we want. What should be top is democratic liberal values.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
When I say 'diversity' I mean I like the fact that spanish judges insist on holding on to their right to a siesta in the middle of the day. It is very sensible in their climate although might sound odd to us northern Europeans.

Some areas should be kept carefully free of attempts at cultural homogeneity.

tsarbomb

It's a good gesture. With more efforts like this I'll become more pro EU.

This will only be controversial with far left loopers, though they're more represented in the media and academia so we'll hear from them more than we need to :(

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
What's a "way of life"? It's that which makes a Bavarian feel at home in Bad Kissingen and a Basque feel at home in Biarritz. Anyone who's travelled to sufficiently distant lands will easily recognize the blindingly obvious reality that there is in fact a "European way of life" which sets it apart from how people live elsewhere. There is a sub-continental way of life. There is an east-asian way of life. There is an Arab way of life etc.

But just look at the responses. Pay attention to the underlying instincts that show through in the responses. I am speaking of both our resident p.ie euro-zealots as well the president who has overseen a European Union more at odds with European people than ever before.

Imagine actually believing that a desire to maintain a way of life is "far right"? Most normal people instinctively identify with this. To the internationalist progressive mind apparently liking your own culture and wanting to see it persist is some form of racism to be abhorred and eventually stamped out.

Of this I am certain: The EU's future as a political entity hinges upon the degree to which they will incorporate the human desire to belong and identify. This seems like a step in the right direction.

Dame_Enda

I;m fine with the title. As for what it means - its different for different people. But for me European values are the values of the Enlightenment.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt

I kind of agree with you. Europe's patchwork of established cultures is indeed what makes Europe the fascinating and beautiful place it is. The part of your post I bolded is precisely what the old generation of EU leader (Juncker et al) regarded as the goal. And they're too hidebound to recognize an attempt to force post-nationalism on the European people threatens the future of the institute to which they claim to hold dear. Witness the witless #IAmEuropean social media tag campaign the unbearable Verhofstadt tried to get going.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I would be fairly convinced that the majority of people across Europe who do consider themselves of their own nation first and Europeans second would prefer that EU politicians did not start acquiring notions of grandeur or spending European taxpayers' money on PR operations.

jmcc

Looks like a concession to what they term "populism" so that EUnuchs don't end up swinging from lampposts? The new European Parliament is quite different from the old one in that there has been somewhat of a powershift. Drunken Juncker is too closely identified with Merkel and her gang so the new commission needs to be seen to be different from the Merkelists even though it is quite as Leftist.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The title is a bit creepy, a sort of first station on the railway line to a destination which ends at the 'Ministry of Love'.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I'd be heavily tempted in a competition for a new name for the Commission for the Organisation of Cultural Knowledge to go for something elegant.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Looks like a concession to what they term "populism" so that EUnuchs don't end up swinging from lampposts? The new European Parliament is quite different from the old one in that there has been somewhat of a powershift. Drunken Juncker is too closely identified with Merkel and her gang so the new commission needs to be seen to be different from the Merkelists even though it is quite as Leftist.
True, but an objective reality that some euro-zealots on here deny.

jmcc

True, but an objective reality that some euro-zealots on here deny.
The other fact is that without the UK, the voting power of the Eastern EU countries will be amplified and some of those are not so keen on the Merkelist agenda having lived through the Warsaw Pact years when Merkel and her friends in the USSR ruled their countries. The EU could end up tearing itself apart.

McTell

Twitter
No
"Protecting our way of life" gives the impression that the EU might limit immigration but they are still subsidising the people traffickers.

I was reading something about al-Maqdisi the other day, and the concepts of gender equality OR even of seeing all religions as equally valid, are to him "monstrous blasphemies".

Human rights is to him a product of "western imperialism".

There has to be some sort of values form, where at least they can't say they didn't know our strangely blasphemous way.

If we are so horrible, and the middle east is so perfect, then why come here at all?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies