• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

EU Democracy at work? Founding EU 6 emergency BREXIT meeting .. day after event

robut

Six founding EU states meet in Berlin to discuss Brexit - FT.com

Foreign ministers of the founding six EU states are meeting in Berlin to try to revive shattered confidence in European unity after the UK’s historic Brexit vote as rating agency Moody’s downgraded the UK’s economic outlook to negatie from stable .

The gathering comes amid conflicting ideas about how to react to the EU’s biggest crisis since its foundation almost 60 years ago. Some leaders are pressing for rapid action and even treaty changes, while German chancellor Angela Merkel has warned against hasty decisions.
Anyone else bothered or angered by this?

Surely this BREXIT EMERGENCY MEETING should have been attended by all remaining EU members?

Surely the IRISH GOV should have been allowed to attend this emergency meeting because, of all members, we are closest to ground zero?

In effect 6 other far removed countries are discussing OUR future ... and we are not at the meeting.

To the FIELD MARSHAL& others ... The bold part & all the post parts I wrote IS ONLY MY OPINION, that is all. I am not deliberately trying to make any allegations .. nor can I provide links except for the one above

Last edited:

Northsideman

Surely this BREXIT EMERGENCY MEETING should have been attended by all remaining EU members?

Surely the IRISH GOV should have been allowed to attend this emergency meeting because, of all members, we are closest to ground zero?

In effect 6 other far removed countries are discussing OUR future ... and we are not at the meeting.
Are you surprised? That's how the EU works.

Lúidín

These are the Real EU countries; the rest are just the clowns whose leaders are paid to keep the cash flowing.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Probably.

Six sovereign governments are meeting to discuss an international crisis.

Some people will resent not being invited.

That's inevitable.

I sometimes go for a drink with my sister to discuss family matters. I'm sure some other family members would also like to come along.

ManUnited

Discussing, they cant decide anything. What's wrong with them having a discussion? I'm sure other leaders are talking to eachother.

euryalus

I must admit, this does seem a little odd, but perhaps the "Founding Six" feel some sort of "ownership" of what used to be called The Common Market. One might add that, when the UK first attepted to join the Common Market, the founding members rejected its application in the most insulting way - perhaps this initial rejection has coloured the UK's relationship with the EU?

robut

Discussing, they cant decide anything. What's wrong with them having a discussion? I'm sure other leaders are talking to eachother.
OK .. point taken, DISCUSSING.

I suppose I am just thinking of optics here. Also that post BREXIT it would have been nice to see some move toward a more inclusive EU in a meeting like this

an modh coinniolach

The clamour for swift and exemplary action on Brexit as a means of deterring leave votes elsewhere tells you all you need to know about the EU. This is government for the sake of institutions rather than for the populations of its member states. Ireland, Greece, Italy, Portugal, Britain all recently threatened with being made examples of. Can we please leave aside the notion that this institution is anything but a cabal of corporate self-interest.

ManUnited

OK .. point taken, DISCUSSING.

I suppose I am just thinking of optics here. Also that post BREXIT it would have been nice to see some move toward a more inclusive EU in a meeting like this
Fair enough. Isn't there a Council meeting happening soon?

VHF

As per usual, Ireland and other EU member states are kept outside the inner cabal.

At what f'ing point will the penny drop with this weak Irish government. Hell bent on nodding and agreeing to every order and instruction from unelected bureaucrats.

Pathetic carry on. Proves how undemocratic the EU actuals, and the mindset and behaviours of Juncker reveals quite a lot about the herd mentality within the cabal itself.

Dorcha

All countries are equal, but some countries are more equal than others. The classic example.

Fractional Reserve

Now toland there is a big difference between having a drink with you're sister discussing family matters v the European Union
Probably.

That's inevitable.

I sometimes go for a drink with my sister to discuss family matters. I'm sure some other family members would also like to come along.

Accidental sock

Now toland there is a big difference between having a drink with you're sister discussing family matters v the European Union
Never met the girl...but I'll take your word for it.

Clanrickard

Probably.

That's inevitable.

Yes you and your sister are comparable to heads of state. The six were invited. Why 6? Why not Poland or Spain who are large economies and bigger than some of the 6?

Catalpast

Good point - was on the verge of starting a thread on this further Insult

Kenny is a total stooge as events like this prove...

The arrogance of these people is breath-taking

- like the Bourbons

- they learn nothing and forget nothing....

Just being mentioned on RTE now BTW

D

Deleted member 17573

Probably.

That's inevitable.

That's even worse than the worst of Mercurial's analogies:lol:

Tacitus

Nothing sinister, really. This meeting was planned weeks ago when nobody thought that there would really be a Brexit. In hindsight it would have been better to prepare for an emergency meeting of all meber states, but politicians wanted to avoid the impression that they were preparing for Brexit.

Now hold your horses and calm down.

robut

Good point - was on the verge of starting a thread on this further Insult

Kenny is a total stooge as events like this prove...

The arrogance of these people is breath-taking

- like the Bourbons

- they learn nothing and forget nothing....

Just being mentioned on RTE now BTW
Yes heard that. Saying that this grouping has no official reason or power or place within the EU members to be meeting like this.

But as was said here we could now have "unofficial" agreements and steps outlined at this meeting as a template to steer this meeting of ALL the EU ministers next week ..

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies