• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

EU formally charges Google with antitrust violations over Android OS

jmcc

The EU has formally charged Google with antitrust violations over its monopoly position on Android OS, the operating system that runs most of the smartphones on the market.

Google hit with competition charges over Android - RTÉ News

Google faces EU charge over Android 'abuse of dominance' - BBC News

European Commission - PRESS RELEASES - Press release - Antitrust: Commission sends Statement of Objections to Google on Android operating system and applications

This doesn't look good for the !evil empire.

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
Funds running low due to the refugee crisis? Simple solution, lets hit GOOG with an antitrust suit. That should be good for around 5 billion.

jmcc

Funds running low due to the refugee crisis? Simple solution, lets hit GOOG with an antitrust suit. That should be good for around 5 billion.
You might very well think that. I couldn't possibly comment. :)

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
You might very well think that. I couldn't possibly comment. :)
April 2018: EU launches antitrust case against MSFT. The company is being investigated for forcing PC users to upgrade to Windows 10.

Rinse repeat etc.

dizillusioned

Apple anti-trust case on tax...Google on 'abuse of dominance'..EU wants tech giants here...I suspect America will change tax laws shortly and bring them all home.

jmcc

April 2018: EU launches antitrust case against MSFT. The company is being investigated for forcing PC users to upgrade to Windows 10.

Rinse repeat etc.
Windows 10 seems to be spyware/malware.

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
Apple anti-trust case on tax...Google on 'abuse of dominance'..EU wants tech giants here...I suspect America will change tax laws shortly and bring them all home.
It's the Commission's way of harvesting taxes from these giants. They do it every couple of years to a different one. At this stage, I imagine the companies already have it priced in to their operating costs.

jmcc

Makes you wonder why MSFT is adding a Linux command line to Windows 10 in June(ish). :)

jmcc

It's the Commission's way of harvesting taxes from these giants. They do it every couple of years to a different one. At this stage, I imagine the companies already have it priced in to their operating costs.
There's also the shopping comparison case with Google that has yet to be resolved and there's been a mention of making Youtube pay proper royalties and respect copyrights. :)

Clanrickard

It isn't. There is a way of calculating if someone is abusing a dominant position. It has nothing to do with taxes.

BACKTOBASICS

Up to now, concerning the EU and these MN giants, there is a bit of pat my back and I'll pat yours going on, but it looks like this is going to change. The US tax authorities will shortly be closing down the tax loopholes, and many EU countries are looking at competing with Ireland and other tax havens on the virtual nil rate of tax facilitated by our Revenue in return for giving employment.

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
It isn't. There is a way of calculating if someone is abusing a dominant position. It has nothing to do with taxes.
I realize that, Clan, but in these cases, it is. The Commission is always three steps behind the tax vehicles these guys use, so this is how they get them.

They launch an antitrust case for say €40 billion. Eviltaxavoidercorp then settles the case for what always seems to be a "record fine". Nice headline, and ergo a perceived win for the Commission, and a few euro for the general fund.

dizillusioned

I really suspect that the Yanks are looking at ways to bring these companies home CD... Would solve much of the employment issues and create good feeling for the next President. Ireland would be devastated.

stopdoingstuff

Wouldn't worry about the tax angle. Corporate inversions are understandably stymied, but most other things are fair game. Even the investigation into the oul' "special deal" we were supposed to have given to Apple seems to have mysteriously gone off the boil .

European Commission seeks details of Apple tax in Ireland

The European Commission has sought extra information (lol) from Irish tax authorities relating to the ongoing investigation into Apple’s tax arrangements in Ireland, potentially delaying further an outcome of the state-aid probe.

Commission representatives wrote to Irish authorities last week, seeking further information pertaining to the case. It follows the submission by the Revenue Commissioners of additional information to the European Commission in late January (double lol)
More than two and a half years (haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa) since the European Commission first opened a formal investigation into tax rulings offered by Ireland to the US multinational, the probe is continuing, despite the fact that the Commission has delivered its verdict on similar cases relating to Fiat in Luxembourg and Starbucks in the Netherlands.

Despite speculation in Brussels that a verdict could be delivered in April, the EU’s competition commissioner, Margrethe Vestager, dampened expectation of an imminent decision last week when asked about the timing of the outcome. “Don’t hold your breath,” she said. (ooooh, wonder why)

Last edited:

jmcc

Isn't it already in later releases?
It is already in the developer Windows Insider previews. Was tempted to upgrade a box to see what it was like as I use Linux for development work. It won't be rolled out to the public yet.
Ubuntu

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
I really suspect that the Yanks are looking at ways to bring these companies home CD... Would solve much of the employment issues and create good feeling for the next President. Ireland would be devastated.
Without international cooperation on tax law - and by international, I mean the Caribbean islands too - things aren't changing any time soon. Effective tax rates under 5% are what the shareholders demand.

How's the Intel news being taken over there? A decimation of global staff must have many people unsettled.

Aindriu

Makes you wonder why MSFT is adding a Linux command line to Windows 10 in June(ish). :)
Powershell uses mostly Linux commands anyway.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies