EU including Irish exported animals tortured in Turkey and the Middle East.

Karloff

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/01/revealed-exported-eu-animals-subject-to-abuse-illegal-conditions

I found it very difficult to review the article, there are horrific images which i could not watch for long, you can change the settings in google chrome to exclude images if you wish.

Dozens of undercover videos and photographs obtained by the Guardian show live cattle and sheep from EU countries being beaten, shocked with electric prods, and held for days in overcrowded pens and covered head to toe in faeces as they are transported from Europe to their final destinations in Turkey and the Middle East in conditions that breach European law.

At their destination, at least some of the animals are slaughtered in appalling conditions. The footage shows cattle and sheep from France, Romania and Lithuania kicking and flailing violently as their throats are crudely cut or sawed at repeatedly, often in crowded street markets and run-down abattoirs.
It is a disgrace, an utter disgrace. We on a European level should not be exporting live animals to countries like this, in Ireland we are now (in light of Brexit) looking into exporting them to places like China were there are no animal welfare laws at all. In the 21st Century there is no possible defence for these practices. Farmers engaged in this export are making a living true - but morally it is obscene, if they can only make a living this way maybe they should raise crops instead. It looks very much like greed to me. We cannot excuse ourselves from responsibility for this abuse just because a foreigner wields the knife but are a part of this chain of suffering.

Also the Irish put the cows on transport facilities so crammed that the animals are in great distress on arriving (firstly burning them with electric prods - so in that sense we are directly cruel - and flouting the EU law on the matter and the EU must hold us and others to account.

In the EU port of Rasa, Croatia, the video shows animals from at least five European countries, including Germany, Hungary, Romania, Poland and Slovenia, waiting to be loaded on to a vessel headed to Beirut. Cattle and sheep are seen being kicked, beaten and shocked with electric prods to the anus while being loaded on to the ship. A sheep is shown being picked up by an animal handler and thrown on to the boat; cows slide backwards on to each other while trying to climb steep loading ramps.

Bea C

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/01/revealed-exported-eu-animals-subject-to-abuse-illegal-conditions

I found it very difficult to review the article, there are horrific images which i could not watch for long, you can change the settings in google chrome to exclude images if you wish.

It is a disgrace, an utter disgrace. We on a European level should not be exporting live animals to countries like this, in Ireland we are now (in light of Brexit) looking into exporting them to places like China were there are no animal welfare laws at all. In the 21st Century there is no possible defence for these practices. Farmers engaged in this export are making a living true - but morally it is obscene, if they can only make a living this way maybe they should raise crops instead. It looks very much like greed to me. We cannot excuse ourselves from responsibility for this abuse just because a foreigner wields the knife but are a part of this chain of suffering.

Also the Irish put the cows on transport facilities so crammed that the animals are in great distress on arriving (firstly burning them with electric prods - so in that sense we are directly cruel - and flouting the EU law on the matter and the EU must hold us and others to account.
I amn't disputing anything about the morality aspect, but you need to realise that not much land here is allows such farming.

Website
www.merrionstreet.ie

Stop with this racism.

How dare you condemn the cultures and diversity of Muslims in the islamic world, why cant you accept this multicultural world of which we live in?

DIVERSITY CAMP FOR YOU NOW!

*EPIC SUCCESS*

Based on many, many cases, including the recent 'Grace' foster home case of horrific violence and abuse, the Irish State still has yet to work out how to treat humans with common decency so don't be surprised by how they view the treatment of 'dumb' animals either.

Website
www.merrionstreet.ie
Based on many, many cases, including the recent 'Grace' foster home case of horrific violence and abuse, the Irish State still has yet to work out how to treat humans with common decency so don't be surprised by how they view the treatment of 'dumb' animals either.
Its not the Irish who are abusing these animals, its the religion of peace doing what it does best to where they are exported too.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

Stop with this racism.

How dare you condemn the cultures and diversity of Muslims in the islamic world, why cant you accept this multicultural world of which we live in?

DIVERSITY CAMP FOR YOU NOW!
Are you OK? The only possible reasons for the above is either you have difficulties comprehending the OP or you are troll?

*EPIC SUCCESS*

Its not the Irish who are abusing these animals, its the religion of peace doing what it does best to where they are exported too.
Apologies, I see now you have genuine issues comprehending simple concepts. I'll explain.

I said: ''don't be surprised by how they view the treatment of 'dumb' animals either.''

What this means is not that they are abusing the animals, but that they do not seem to have an issue with others who do.

If you need any further assistance with posts, don't hesitate to PM and I can assist.

Website
www.merrionstreet.ie
Are you OK? The only possible reasons for the above is either you have difficulties comprehending the OP or you are troll?
If you want to see Animal abuse, take a look at the countries they are being exported too. You will also find that many of the places sending the animals are Muslim owned, exporting Hal-Al meat to their homelands.

Recognization: Cruelty to Animals in Pakistan

Website
www.merrionstreet.ie
Apologies, I see now you have genuine issues comprehending simple concepts. I'll explain.

I said: ''don't be surprised by how they view the treatment of 'dumb' animals either.''

What this means is not that they are abusing the animals, but that they do not seem to have an issue with others who do.

If you need any further assistance with posts, don't hesitate to PM and I can assist.
Maybe its you who cannot read.

A cow exported from France is suspended by its leg in a Turkish abattoir. Photograph: Animals International

Karloff

That's not true. The article states that the animals are kicked, prodded and thrown on to overcrowded barges where they languish for 12 days in their own faeces before being sent on to the hellish conditions of their slaughter. In any event the EU law demands that the treatment of the exported animals at the destination site conforms with their standards too.

A very heavy fine should follow and money from it to be plowed into enforcing of this regulation. The fine should be split between live export farmers and the state - deduct it from their CAP payments if necessary.

Spanner Island

Ireland has an appalling record on animal welfare.

Our laws are pathetic and rarely enforced.

If you want to see Animal abuse, take a look at the countries they are being exported too. You will also find that many of the places sending the animals are Muslim owned, exporting Hal-Al meat to their homelands.
You'll find it a lot closer to home than that.

Stones and glass houses.

Website
www.merrionstreet.ie
That's not true. The article states that the animals are kicked, prodded and thrown on to overcrowded barges where they languish for 12 days in their own faeces before being sent on to the hellish conditions of their slaughter. In any event the EU law demands that the treatment of the exported animals at the destination site conforms with their standards too.

A very heavy fine should follow and money from it to be plowed into enforcing of this regulation. The fine should be split between live export farmers and the state - deduct it from their CAP payments if necessary.
From the article

A Lithuanian cow tied up in Palestine. Photograph: Animals International

Last time I checked, Palestine was not in the EU.

Gaston

If we are to eat animals then the most basic obligation we have is to at least make their passing as stress free as possible.

What is happening here is wonton cruelty.

I knew before I opened the article as to who was most likely to be the culprits here and if it were up to me I'd ban live exports to such countries.

If this were done, at least it would remove the probability of the animals being unnecesarily stressed and by keeping control over the slaughter process, it would go some way to ensure that the barbarity is minimised.

You want your meat halal?...fine, buy it from someone else!

Spanner Island

Yes, but the majority of the abuse of animals from the OP is coming from Muslim countries!
I'm just highlighting the hypocrisy that goes on.

We are no world leaders in treating animals well.

The OP is correct imo... in that the EU should stop exporting animals on the hoof because it is obvious at this stage that the way they are treated once sold is of no interest to those doing the selling.

The EU also needs to have a good look at itself too.

Website
www.merrionstreet.ie
Ireland has an appalling record on animal welfare.

Our laws are pathetic and rarely enforced.

You'll find it a lot closer to home than that.

Stones and glass houses.
And it will only get worse now that we have allowed Muslims to pour into Ireland demanding their cultural rights are protected and observed in the slaughter of animals.

[video=youtube;-VnN1AAOO-I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VnN1AAOO-I[/video]

[video=youtube;NDheQoAlysE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDheQoAlysE[/video]

Website
www.merrionstreet.ie
I'm just highlighting the hypocrisy that goes on.

We are no world leaders in treating animals well.

The OP is correct imo... in that the EU should stop exporting animals on the hoof because it is obvious at this stage that the way they are treated once sold is of no interest to those doing the selling.

The EU also needs to have a good look at itself too.
But we must continue to allow the legal abuse of animals, it wouldn't be fair on Muslims and would be seen as racist to deny them their cultural rights to slaughter animals with cruelty and barbaric methods.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies