• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

EU needs to impose taxes on Chinese imports to save current EU jobs.

realistic1

How many times have we now heard that Europe is in recession? Is it now time to admit that this recession is here to stay. In my opinion this recession is a direct result of millions of jobs been relocated to China over the last decade or so. Is it now time for the EU to have some form of protectionism, for current manufacturing jobs and impose extra taxes on all imports from China.

Below is an article from a leading executive who calls for a form of protectionism in the EU.

Mittal urges EU to protect itself against China imports - FT.com

Dame_Enda

What about the jobs that would be lost from more expensive imports?

YouKnowWhatIMeanLike

How many times have we now heard that Europe is in recession? Is it now time to admit that this recession is here to stay. In my opinion this recession is a direct result of millions of jobs been relocated to China over the last decade or so. Is it now time for the EU to have some form of protectionism, for current manufacturing jobs and impose extra taxes on all imports from China.

Below is an article from a leading executive who calls for a form of protectionism in the EU.

Mittal urges EU to protect itself against China imports - FT.com
I wish you could stop posting F******Times.com links to p.ie

Honecker

What about the jobs that would be lost from more expensive imports?
Surely the point of protectionism is so you can replace imports with domestically manufactured goods?

EUrJokingMeRight

Another federalista in favour of more EU taxes.

It's protection FROM Europe that we want, not China.

Taxi Driver

Surely the point of protectionism is so you can replace imports with domestically manufactured goods?
Which would be more expensive than the imports if they require import duties in order to be competitive. If domestic consumers have to spend more money to buy these "protected" products it means consumers have less money to spend on everything else. The gains in the protected industries are simply transfers of these losses from other industries.

Why should consumers be forced to spend more money on these protected goods thereby reducing their overall well-being because they have less money to spend on everything else?

It is well understood that the beneficiaries of these "protections" can form a cohesive collective group to lobby for their imposition, where as the losers of protectionism (consumers, all other industries) are not well organised. There are large visible gains for a few and small dispersed losses for the many from protectionism. Any proposal would have to show why the gains are greater than the losses.

The EU already has some large duties on imports, including those from China. One issue that didn't get much coverage in the Begley garlic import case was why is there massive duties on the importing of garlic from China. Why can't consumers get access to this (apparently cheaper) product? Is there some reason why the EU wants to prevent this product getting into the market. The import duty on garlic is 232% compared to 9% for apples.

farnaby

The EU already imposes duties on imports from China and uses them as a negotiating stick, see for example:

Germany disputes hard EU stance on China solar panel duties

I think we'll see more protectionist measures coming in when people realise that it's not "just" working-class manufacturing jobs that have gone to China - it's also nice middle class jobs such as roles in design, supply chain, corporate law, IT etc. I.e. jobs currently held by those people who vote for and thus influence the main political parties.

Maximilian

The EU and European National Governments impose strict regulations on indigenous industry – in order to protect the environment or to increase the safety of workers, for example – which often increase the cost of manufacturing in the EU when compared to elsewhere, such as China, thus putting EU based companies at a competitive disadvantage. One could make an argument, therefore, for tariffs to be put on goods from countries without similar regulations. These tariffs could be relaxed as similar regulations are implemented in the subject countries. The argument for such tariffs might be strengthened in cases where the elimination of externalities, such as carbon emissions, would benefit both the EU and the country upon which the tariff has been imposed.

Alternatively, the imposition of regulations in the EU could be said to force innovation, efficiencies and cost saving measures on indigenous industries, that they might not have otherwise made, in order to stay competitive.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Protectionism is an inelegant "solution" that just stores up problems for future generations

Globalisation - letting everyone have a fair go of it - is here to stay and things such as tarrifs are outmoded

cYp

Old Irish

Protectionism is an inelegant "solution" that just stores up problems for future generations

Globalisation - letting everyone have a fair go of it - is here to stay and things such as tarrifs are outmoded

cYp
Well then maybe we should have a China Employment Union to ensure that employees are treated the way our country would treat their workers. Then it would be fair. How is it fair that even when an employer wants to set up in Ireland it can't because their competitor is doing it for half the cost in China because they can pay their employees badly and have them living like slaves?

james5001

cYp
Things called facts completely go against the points you make. Protectionism was a key factor in the development of many major economies, including the us and British Empire.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Well then maybe we should have a China Employment Union to ensure that employees are treated the way our country would treat their workers. Then it would be fair. How is it fair that even when an employer wants to set up in Ireland it can't because their competitor is doing it for half the cost in China because they can pay their employees badly and have them living like slaves?
Indeed

It is up to Western consumers to agitate for good working conditions for Chinese workers, and they do that and gradually China improves.

That said when did you last see in a local TD's letter a section "Working conditions in China/the 3rd World" ... I'd suggest people are only so interested in the area

cYp

james5001

Indeed

It is up to Western consumers to agitate for good working conditions for Chinese workers, and they do that and gradually China improves.

That said when did you last see in a local TD's letter a section "Working conditions in China/the 3rd World" ... I'd suggest people are only so interested in the area

cYp

Just them alone?

opinions

Where do you think this Protectionism policy will stop? Of course all the labour intensive manufacturing industries have gone to China and places like Bangladesh which their disaster of over 1000 people partly explains why labour, and life are cheaper in these countries.

Compare this with the martial law imposed on Boston to locate one 17 year old kid connected (Alleged) with the death of only three people, where people's homes were searched at gunpoint. Add to this the suriel cheering of the population when the limitations to their freedoms were lifted. I thought that Stockholm was only in Sweden.

As I have asked, where will this end. We know about the problems in Europe, but how about the US? Apart from fulfilling defence contracts and manufacturing arms which the US is the largest provider in the world, their complete blue collar manufacturing base has been decimated. Take Detroit and the auto industry as an example.

What if the US was to impose further taxes on imported cars from Europe and Japan?
Just take a look back through history. 1st you have currency wars, which we are having now at this moment. Then we have trade wars which the OP views advocate. Then finally we have world wars like WWI & WWII.

I hope people are not so deluded that this could happen again. The first moves have already been made by the US in surrounding the middle east oil wells. They went in to get rid of Sadam and Bin Ladin, there gone but the US is still there. I wonder why...........

So in my non professional view, be careful what you ask for.

realistic1

What evidence is your opinion based on?
Massive unemployment throughout the EU, especially among the youth. In the past Manufacturing has always been a massive employer in the EU. These jobs have gone to China and this is common knowledge so why provide evidence, do a google search for yourself.

Old Irish

Indeed

cYp
Don't get me wrong. I'm only interested in my area also.....primarily but better working conditions for the Chinese et al would be better for everyone.

Honecker

cYp
Yes that's exactly what globalisation is:roll:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies