EU Parliament head frets over "spread of small nations".

Wascurito

These comments from Antonio Tajani strike at the democratic principles that are supposed to lie at the heart of the European Union. Fundamentally, for all the official-speak and lip service, what the EU wants right now is S.T.A.B.I.L.I.T.Y. No border changes, please. We're Europeans and we have enough to worry about with Brexit.

Of course, being Italian, the referendums today in northern Italy will be foremost in Tajani's mind. However, his inclusion of a reference to the crisis between Spain and Catalunya is instructive. The Catalan nation consists of 7.5 million people. If he's fretting over that, then presumably, he's not overly-enthused by the Maltese, Luxembourgeois, Cypriots, Estonians, Latvians, Slovenians, Lithuanians, Croatians, Irish, Slovakians, Finns, Danes and Bulgarians.

RTÉ News: EU parliament chief 'fears' spread of small nations as Italy votes

Ardillaun

From the administrative side, one can see his point. 50 countries would be a lot harder to herd than 27. The solution would be a looser EU based on trade relations that did not need to micromanage the constitutional arrangements of its member states.

ionsniffer

The EU is goosed unless thundering freakshow extremists like drunker are sent packaging.
For that reason let him stick around :)

Wascurito

From the administrative side, one can see his point. 50 countries would be a lot harder to herd than 27. The solution would be a looser EU based on trade relations that did not need to micromanage the constitutional arrangements of its member states.
Hmmm....herd. See below. The corollary to that argument is that The Nation State has been shown to be the most stable form of statal entity and that if certain regions within a state feel they're a separate nation and want to do that "maître chez nous" thing, then maybe it's better to deal with that than telling to them to f*ck off and stop being annoying.

SamsonS

Hmmm....herd. See below. The corollary to that argument is that The Nation State has been shown to be the most stable form of statal entity and that if certain regions within a state feel they're a separate nation and want to do that "maître chez nous" thing, then maybe it's better to deal with that than telling to them to f*ck off and stop being annoying.

"The Nation State has been shown to be the most stable form of statal entity" - bit soon to declare that (but take your point)!

Spanner Island

Rich areas voting to jettison poorer areas...

Great isn't it? Very patriotic wherever it's happening... Spain, Italy etc.

Drill that down to the individual level and it's just like the 1%'ers or 0.1%'ers pulling up the drawbridge and telling everyone else to go to hell...

I wonder when Leinster is going to vote for independence...

Or Bavaria... they must be itching to split from Germany... :roll:

blinding

The EU is goosed unless thundering freakshow extremists like drunker are sent packaging.
For that reason let him stick around :)
Juncker and Macron will be fiddling while the Eu crumbles around them.......

Juncker will be steaming drunk and Macrons nanny will be reprimanding him........

D

Deleted member 17573

Juncker and Macron will be fiddling while the Eu crumbles around them.......

Juncker will be steaming drunk and Macrons nanny will be reprimanding him........
Did you see the other evening Merkel and Macron walking on either side of May, completely ignoring all the other, supposedly equal, leaders? Pity none of the others hadn't the balls to elbow the pair of them out of the way!

Wascurito

Rich areas voting to jettison poorer areas...

Great isn't it? Very patriotic wherever it's happening... Spain, Italy etc.

Drill that down to the individual level and it's just like the 1%'ers or 0.1%'ers pulling up the drawbridge and telling everyone else to go to hell...

I wonder when Leinster is going to vote for independence...

Or Bavaria... they must be itching to split from Germany... :roll:
Catalunya has had a separate identity, language and culture since time immemorial.

In the case of the two Italian regions, there possibly is a strong economics element but I think they're voting on autonomy rather than independence. I don't think there's significant support in any mainland Italian region for independence but I could be wrong on that.

I think Tajani's comments were clumsy. Half of the EU nations post-Brexit will have a population less than the 7.5m Catalans. Europe is a continent of small nations. If he doesn't like small nations, maybe he should try some other continent.

Ardillaun

You've got to see things more from the mandarin's point of view. The masses exist to be herded. That's why they are there. Giving them choices only confuses them. Thus the spread of small nations could be likened to a plague of some sort - best to stamp it out before it catches on.

former wesleyan

Catalunya has had a separate identity, language and culture since time immemorial.

In the case of the two Italian regions, there possibly is a strong economics element but I think they're voting on autonomy rather than independence. I don't think there's significant support in any mainland Italian region for independence but I could be wrong on that.

I think Tajani's comments were clumsy. Half of the EU nations post-Brexit will have a population less than the 7.5m Catalans. Europe is a continent of small nations. If he doesn't like small nations, maybe he should try some other continent.
The trouble with the Balkanisation of Europe is that all these little states could be presumed to form alliances. And alliances are usually predisposed to agree to defend each other. And since they all have guns…….

Volatire

Law of unintended consequences.

The EU makes nation states less stable by appearing to reduce the barriers to fragmentation.

wombat

The trouble with the Balkanisation of Europe is that all these little states could be presumed to form alliances. And alliances are usually predisposed to agree to defend each other. And since they all have guns…….
Most of these separatist states will be headed by populist, nationalist strongmen, one of the causes of the Balkan wars were nationalist leaders in Serbia and Croatia.

wombat

This can be summarised into "I like Catalan separatists, I don't like Italian separatists". The unpleasant fact is that both groups are mé féiners, rich areas who object to sharing wealth with poorer, sort of reminds me of 1912.

blinding

Did you see the other evening Merkel and Macron walking on either side of May, completely ignoring all the other, supposedly equal, leaders? Pity none of the others hadn't the balls to elbow the pair of them out of the way!
Merkel will another nanny for Macron . Muti runs the show in the Eu but the Germans themselves have clipped her wings after her mad immigration “ Fehler “

The Brits are well out of the mad house .

Wascurito

You've got to see things more from the mandarin's point of view. The masses exist to be herded. That's why they are there. Giving them choices only confuses them. Thus the spread of small nations could be likened to a plague of some sort - best to stamp it out before it catches on.
That's about 80% of it. There's also the fear of change. If the status quo is to one's liking, then why rock the boat?

How and ever, the inconsistency of viewpoint is shown starkly when the spread-of-small-nations thing could augment the EU. Catalan independence is bad. Scottish independence is now seemingly looked upon favourably.

O'Quisling

Most of these separatist states will be headed by populist, nationalist strongmen, one of the causes of the Balkan wars were nationalist leaders in Serbia and Croatia.
The main cause of the break-up of Yugoslavia was EU elites grooming a Croat separatist cadre.

Funny how the EU is not so impressed with "freedom for small nations" now that the shoe is on the other foot!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies