EU passes article 13: Death of the Internet as we know it?

Fenian Boy

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/12/eu-lawmakers-pass-controversial-digital-copyright-law.html
Today the EU Parliament voted in favour of a controversial reform of digital copyright laws, with potentially disastrous consequences for Internet freedom. Under Article 13 of this new law, tech giants will be forced to install
filters that prevent copyright-protected content from being uploaded. What this essentially means is that Internet users will no longer be able to post memes, snippets of films or music, or any other content that is protected by copyright.

Dame_Enda

As its a directive rather than a regulation, the Oireachtas will have some say over how this implemented. Its unfortunate that FG voted for this in the EP, though positive that FF voted against.

jmcc

As its a directive rather than a regulation, the Oireachtas will have some say over how this implemented. Its unfortunate that FG voted for this in the EP, though positive that FF voted against.
Think that SF also voted against it.

Dame_Enda

Underlines the need for a compulsory register of members interests in the EP. Such an idea has been repeatedly voted down. The lobbyists have free rein in Brussels/Strasbourg.

jmcc

Worth following this account on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/Senficon

Julia Reda has been updating it with the latest information on the activity of the scumbags in Brussels.

cunnyfunt

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/12/eu-lawmakers-pass-controversial-digital-copyright-law.html
Today the EU Parliament voted in favour of a controversial reform of digital copyright laws, with potentially disastrous consequences for Internet freedom. Under Article 13 of this new law, tech giants will be forced to install
filters that prevent copyright-protected content from being uploaded. What this essentially means is that Internet users will no longer be able to post memes, snippets of films or music, or any other content that is protected by copyright.
Just one more reason to tear down this empire

Dame_Enda

edg

You mean they have to either use conversation or be creative themselves?
Good.

CatullusV

Dmca has been in place in the US for 20 years and the internet seems to survive. Many broadcasters actively use it as an ancillary broadcast medium. Many musicians are OK with using YouTube to market their stuff. There is both active collaboration or simple acceptance. A still from a film with a silly caption is hardly a breach.

Karloff

When i sent off emails complaining about this i never even bothered to include FG MEPs, foregone conclusion which way they would vote. For censorship, for big money v end user.

The EU turns into the US (minus the First Amendment) bit by bit.

Just watch how the algorithms will abuse this in deciding what is copyrighted.

Relish the fact that you did enjoy to live in a period of free information exchange before the corporates and govts moved in to make it theirs. 1990-2010 golden period and it may never happen again in history.

CatullusV

When i sent off emails complaining about this i never even bothered to include FG MEPs, foregone conclusion which way they would vote. For censorship, for big money v end user.

Relish the fact that you did enjoy to live in a period of free information exchange before the corporates and govts moved in to make it theirs. 1990-2010 golden period and it may never happen again in history.
The algorithms are not needed under the DMCA. An artist's right have to be asserted by the owner.

Dame_Enda

To be fair to FG in my experience they reply to emails, which is not my experience with FF.

RasherHash

Gemma O'Doherty

[MENTION=4844]gemma[/MENTION]od1
2m2 minutes ago
More
My interview with John Waters hit 10k views in a day. @YouTube have removed it with no consultation on a false copyright claim over a picture of #MaryBoyle that I own. The person who made this false claim is well known to Gardai. Please inform @YouTube to have the video restored

cunnyfunt

EU are conts.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
Gemma O'Doherty

@gemmaod1
2m2 minutes ago
More
My interview with John Waters hit 10k views in a day. @YouTube have removed it with no consultation on a false copyright claim over a picture of #MaryBoyle that I own. The person who made this false claim is well known to Gardai. Please inform @YouTube to have the video restored
how can she own a picture of maryboyle, she may have had permission to use it at one time but to "own" it????

Last edited:

CatullusV

Is there anyone here who would be happy to have their own creative work copied and distributed without their control and be happy that others actually profit from that?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
It is corporate fronts such as the EU which make breach of copyright, subversive memes and the more interesting criminalities worthwhile.

Like getting occasional penpal letters from the most boring Swiss accounts clerk in history.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Is there anyone here who would be happy to have their own creative work copied and distributed without their control and be happy that others actually profit from that?
Happens to me all the time.