EU passes article 13: Death of the Internet as we know it?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
We must protect artistic endeavour, is the call of the corporate. And then they spend the rest of the day working on merchandising deals to get more mars bars, crisps and coca-cola onscreen or plastered all over said internet while threatening everyone in sight to protect their purchased right to market in connection with a drugged Olympic games or some other equally tedious overblown horse-shyte.

Technology killed the old rigged singles market which basically record companies owned. And this was a good thing. And in terms of creativity since when did some 25 year old who can play a guitar have a right to hundreds of millions of dollars?

Anything that sees Ed Sheeran bumming on the side of the road is fine by me. I give a ****************************** about copyright in the same way Japan gave a ****************************** about the British motorcycle industry and European personal radio player market post world war II.

I suspect the most creative and apposite artistic content I've seen in my life has actually been based on disruption of copyright and treating the concept of intellectual ownership as tedious in the extreme.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Who's the pr1ck who has copyright on asterisks around here?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Going back to the wildly creative and imaginative attempts to turn the internet into a standard medium that can be controlled like the good old days of newspapers, magazine, film etc I predict that the day the vanilla internet turns into something sniffily like your mother in law reading the Daily Mail is the day when a lot of people start heading toward the Dark Net.

And then advertisers will be whinging about it until they find a way to advertise on the Dark Net.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
Is there anyone here who would be happy to have their own creative work copied and distributed without their control and be happy that others actually profit from that?
thats a very vague statement

jmcc

Another reason to hate the fooking EU , always putting corporates before people.
Well that scumbag Drunken Juncker was the prime minister of the tax haven of Luxembourg. What else could one expect of people of such low character? They want to destroy European nation states.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Curious really that the great glory of being European for me is the actual diversity of languages, culture and national differences in Europe.

Very much a fan of the European Economic Community I can't say I'm a fan of the inevitable attempts to homogenise European culture from Stettin to Trieste that are inevitable with a corporatist and federalist approach.

It would require attacks on the very thing I like about being a European.

But I should imagine there are one or two threads on this subject knocking about. I don't see Juncker as any friend to the Europe I know. He's a corporatist tool as far as I can see and has spent too much of his career promoting the benefits of offshored resources to be convincing as any friend to the average European in my book.

Perhaps he'll donate his liver to the Cayman Islands.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Probably a truism in there somewhere that as soon as the EU or any other global power bloc manages to exert some control over the internet it will cause displacement of those they are seeking to regulate somewhere else- probably another level of the 'Net.

Eventually people will get pissed off enough with the governed 'Net that they will move somewhere where there may be other dangers but where they won't be hassled or advertised at constantly by Miki from an attic office in Belgrade.

Given the inevitable downside of convergence of data with social media sites and the constant corporate attempts to identify and categorise 'Net users so they can control them and sell to them in detail we may I think see a sort of 'highrise' effect on the 'Net.

Various strata may be a level allowed and safe for kids in terms of age appropriate visibility and interaction, then there will be the vanilla level where the shoppers live for buying stuff they generally want but don't need and then there will be further strata for people who can access the vanilla level when they want to but interact with others on other levels.

It will be interesting to see where political discourse ends up. I suspect splintered into a sort of Daily Mail/Mumsnet at one level with other levels appearing on the high-rise schematic as needed.

Interestingly it may be that political tribes in and around the government and administration circles will assume they are at the top level- probably incorrectly;)

CatullusV

thats a very vague statement
It isn't in the least. If you had invested a couple of years of work on a project of any kind would you be happy if your work were then stolen from you? What about, forgetting about copyright? Happy that it is stolen? Your work reduced to a value of zero the day it is published?

What motivation is that? Why would anyone bother with creative, or other projects if their work could be immediately stolen and monetised by others?

jmcc

It isn't in the least. If you had invested a couple of years of work on a project of any kind would you be happy if your work were then stolen from you? What about, forgetting about copyright? Happy that it is stolen? Your work reduced to a value of zero the day it is published?

What motivation is that? Why would anyone bother with creative, or other projects if their work could be immediately stolen and monetised by others?
And what company is the worst offender?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Just been an interesting discussion on the radio with a veteran band and record company manager. He had some surprising things to say.

He said with music there is a tendency to assume the copyrighted author is the creator of a certain work. Where he says that there is very little originality in that every composer and writer builds naturally out of influences and pieces of work by other authors whether consciously or subconsciously.

He quoted a few interesting examples he was aware of of people being sued for copyright infringement for 100% of royalties on a work based on the contention they were ripping off earlier works.

Some of the examples were played on the show and they sound like radically different works.

'Interstellar Overdrive', written by Sid Barrett for Pink Floyd took a piece of melody from a piece of work by Manfred Mann. They played the relevant works and to my ear without technical knowledge there is no audible comparison.

Another example was Richard Ashcroft's 'Bittersweet Symphony' which was a huge hit. Based on a strings arrangement from a Rolling Stones song.

Both caused legal wars and to the listener's ear you just wouldn't associate the pieces of music even hearing them side by side.

The manager Peter Jarret, I think, who managed The Clash, Baba Maal, Billy Bragg, Paul Weller I think so he has cred and is involved in the debate about copyright, pointed out that all too often legal issues are raised by people who own the piece of paper in which the copyright is vested but who aren't even necessarily the actual authors.

His point is that the argument would have weight if the intention was that authors who create the work receive credit and pay for their work but that all too often that isn't the case.

Interesting fellow.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com

who is stealing what?

Jim Car

What the progess of the CRR? If its not passed bybmay there is a good chance that it will simply die. Here is hoping. But have you ever seeen such a tone def detached from reality piece of legislation in your life. This issue in and of itself would cause me to preference any party opposed to it over those that support it. May is coming, there is going to be a very satisfying kick back.