• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

EU pours money and resources into Yes campaign

Helium Three

The EU Commission is throwing aside any pretence of neutrality in Irish political affairs and launching its own campaign for a Yes vote in the Son of Lisbon referendum.

It has concluded after looking into its heart that we were stupid. It is setting about curing our stupidity by holding meetings to tell us how stupid we really are.

In a coup for the Commission they have even roped in someone who voted No to be one of the people who will tell us exactly how stupid that is.

For a list of these unmissable opportunities (nearly said 'never to be repeated opportunities' but that assumes a No vote next time...) the LIsbon Times has the schedule.

How lucky can we be?

ibis

"EU pours money and resources into Yes campaign"

Dear me. Could the title be spun any harder? It's a set of 7 public meetings, intended as 'listening exercises'. The total cost probably runs into nearly a whole couple of thousand euro. Shocking. I appreciate the Yes campaign in the referendum was nothing to writ home about, but I somehow doubt this is the opening artillery salvo of Lisbon 2.

Of course god forbid the EU should actually try and find out what people want. Damned if they do, damned if they don't, eh?

Harpo

ibis said:

Dear me. Could the title be spun any harder? It's a set of 7 public meetings, intended as 'listening exercises'. The total cost probably runs into nearly a whole couple of thousand euro. Shocking. I appreciate the Yes campaign in the referendum was nothing to writ home about, but I somehow doubt this is the opening artillery salvo of Lisbon 2.

Of course god forbid the EU should actually try and find out what people want. Damned if they do, damned if they don't, eh?
There shouldn't even be a Lisbon 2

forest

Helium Three said:
The EU Commission is throwing aside any pretence of neutrality in Irish political affairs and launching its own campaign for a Yes vote in the Son of Lisbon referendum.

It has concluded after looking into its heart that we were stupid. It is setting about curing our stupidity by holding meetings to tell us how stupid we really are.

In a coup for the Commission they have even roped in someone who voted No to be one of the people who will tell us exactly how stupid that is.

For a list of these unmissable opportunities (nearly said 'never to be repeated opportunities' but that assumes a No vote next time...) the LIsbon Times has the schedule.

How lucky can we be?
I am sorry at what point did the commission say or was meant to be neutral

CookieMonster

Harpo said:
ibis said:

There shouldn't even be a Lisbon 2
There won't be. They'll call it something else and it will be "new" and "different" but won't be either new or different.

ibis

By the way - considering that Libertas have not disbanded, and Mr Ganley continues to fly around to meet up with various eurosceptics - where is the equivalent "Ganley continues to pour money and resources into Libertas campaign"? I won't call it a No campaign, since it's more of a Euro '09 campaign at this stage.

Helium Three

Running emergency ('Flash') polls, paying people to monitor the Lisbon debate on this site, setting up these propaganda sessions.... and targeting Ganley. All without any basis in the Treaty.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
This is brazen propaganda designed to deceive the people into thinking their concerns on many of those issues are not well-founded. The reality is that they are on some of them, especially job-displacement. Brussels funding of the yes campaign, including via the European Parliament allowance, must end. It is debatable that it violates Irish law, as equal State funding is supposed to go to both sides and the EP allowance is paid for by the taxpayer. SIPO should investigate. This reminds me of the propaganda campaign by PM William Pitt's govt claiming we would get Catholic Emancipation if the Act of Union passed in in 1800, leading to some Catholic bishops supporting the Union. :?

Catalpa

Helium Three said:

How lucky can we be?
October 6th Displacement – Real or Imagined? Royal College of Physicians, Kildare Street, Dublin 2. 8pm

Incl: Joan Burton TD (Labour Party), David Begg (ICTU), Marc Coleman (Newstalk)

I take it 'displacement' is code for 'immigration'?

Now that could be interesting! :cool:

angelcity

Catalpa said:
Helium Three said:

How lucky can we be?
October 6th Displacement – Real or Imagined? Royal College of Physicians, Kildare Street, Dublin 2. 8pm

Incl: Joan Burton TD (Labour Party), David Begg (ICTU), Marc Coleman (Newstalk)

I take it 'displacement' is code for 'immigration'?

Now that could be interesting! :cool:
Catalpa i bet you that a group of gay like you are the people that the labour party of ireland is meant for anyway, so get over it my friend or are you going to invite rotweiller with your calculator to your invitations ?

L.O.L

ibis

Helium Three said:
Running emergency ('Flash') polls, paying people to monitor the Lisbon debate on this site, setting up these propaganda sessions.... and targeting Ganley. All without any basis in the Treaty.
Outrageous, eh - trying to find out public opinion! How do you suggest they do it? Should they wait in their offices for representatives of the No campaign(s) to come to them and tell them the will of the people?

Catalpa

ibis said:
Helium Three said:
Outrageous, eh - trying to find out public opinion! How do you suggest they do it? Should they wait in their offices for representatives of the No campaign(s) to come to them and tell them the will of the people?
Ibis have you lost the plot alltogether?

The People have spoken.

The answer is NO!

What part of 'NO' do you not understand? :roll:

angelcity

ibis said:
Helium Three said:
What you dont know is that when the No referendum was held it was announced publicly i dont know your anger in all an unannouced case scenarios to be honest. l.o.l

CookieMonster

angelcity said:
ibis said:
Helium Three said:
What you dont know is that when the No referendum was held it was announced publicly i dont know your anger in all an unannouced case scenarios to be honest. l.o.l
What the hell are you talking about? Seriously, if you are going to contribute at least take some time to consider what you are saying and plesase start making some sense when you post.

kerrynorth

CookieMonster said:
angelcity said:
ibis said:
Helium Three said:
What the hell are you talking about? Seriously, if you are going to contribute at least take some time to consider what you are saying and plesase start making some sense when you post.
Would the Mods ever do something about him. This is around angelcountry's 6th identity on p.ie. I know that is not many identities for a Nigerian but surely it is not permissable.

ibis

Catalpa said:
ibis said:
Helium Three said:

The People have spoken.

The answer is NO!

The muppets who keep repeating that stupid slogan? Whether or not the No is permanent, the EU has to engage in finding out what people didn't like about what was offered in Lisbon. If it's not what people want, then the member state governments have to seriously consider where they and the electorate are coming adrift.

A round of public consultations and debates in the aftermath of the No vote is part of the process of the EU realising they didn't have their finger on the pulse, and trying to find out what people actually think, as opposed to what they were 'supposed' by bureaucrats to be thinking. Nobody with more than a quarter of a functional brain could fail to see that - and I await your repeated objection.

Plus of course one thing that the referendum undoubtedly demonstrated was that people have very little knowledge of how the EU works, or what it does - and these address some of those points. Of course, I can see why the knee jerks like He3 might not like that, since more knowledge of the EU seems to lead almost in every case to greater liking for it...

McDave

Catalpa said:
ibis said:
Helium Three said:
The People have spoken.
The answer is NO!
You're taking the mickey aren't you? This is the tiredest of the No tag-lines. A worn out cliche with no value.

eurosceptic

The constitutional project will be back in some shape or form. No doubt about that. But will we get a referendum? Croatia's accession treaty will prove too tempting i think.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies