EU raises Brexit Bill to €100 billion

darkhorse

I am an expert and I provided you with the expert analysis and reasons - I didn't just say "trust this anonymous poster". I posted the reasons, which you could have rebutted, but didn't.

Now, I am willing to brush over the glaring logical fallacy (appeal to authority) and your gross logical flaw (you fail to cite any expert endorsing your views, but demand others do) and simply post this expert.

And let's make no mistake. This is an expert. And an expert with an outstanding long term track record on UK economic issues concerning trade and the EU.

[video=youtube;leKEUT1TiLU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leKEUT1TiLU[/video]

Now, let me just pile it on a bit more. Because this expert is just a prominent member of a wider group of experts, including people such as:

Professor Tim Congden
Dr Gerard Lyons
Dr Roger Bootle
Professor David Blake
Minford's flawed theories have been well exposed in the FT among other sources
Brexiters’ idea of unilateral free trade is a dangerous fantasy

The reality is that the vast majority of economists continue to be pessimistic about Brexit
Economists as pessimistic as ever about Brexit Britain

Even the British Government have yet to produce a credible post Brexit economic plan bar the usual jingoistic catchphrases - hence the emphasis on getting for a 'good deal' for Britain in negotiations - effectively depending on the charity of strangers.

darkhorse

The €100bn figure could be just the tip of the brexit-bill iceberg if these predictions come to pass ...

For example, assuming a hard Brexit takes place in 2019, a Mexican-owned bank operating out of the City will be able to sue the UK in an investment tribunal for the loss of passporting rights on the strength of the UK-Mexico BIT of 2006. There is good precedent for suing western governments for radical changes in regulatory regimes. Spain is an example. Almost every foreign investor in the energy field has sued Spain for recent changes in incentives structures for renewable energy generation. The Spanish government had aimed to make the country a leader in clean energy. Spain promised a stable and welcoming environment to clean energy generators, which, it is claimed, acted as a guarantee of their successful commercial enterprise and financial viability. One could say the same about the UK and financial services.
Brexit Lawsuits, But Not As You Know Them

Trainwreck

Minford's flawed theories have been well exposed in the FT among other sources
Brexiters’ idea of unilateral free trade is a dangerous fantasy

The reality is that the vast majority of economists continue to be pessimistic about Brexit
Economists as pessimistic as ever about Brexit Britain

Even the British Government have yet to produce a credible post Brexit economic plan bar the usual jingoistic catchphrases - hence the emphasis on getting for a 'good deal' for Britain in negotiations - effectively depending on the charity of strangers.

Hang on. What happened to "experts"?

Firstly, Martin Wolfe is not an expert. He is a journalist. I am far more "expert" than he is.

Secondly, let me recap:

I was looking for an expert but realistic view on the economic upside of Brexit for Britain - which no one has yet come up with
Not your jingoistic spoofery
Thanks anyway

I provide you with "an expert realistic view". I "came up with one" (actually a clutch - but hey, you only insisted on one)

Your claim was very explicit: "no expert believes reasonably that Brexit could have a positive effect on Britain".

My response was just as explicit: "here is an expert"

Your response: "Let's do vote instead" (even you can see the switch here right?)

My point, which should be the point of any reasonable person is, don't use logical fallacies (you first with you "appeal to authority" claim, now - after you were rumbled- with you "appeal to consensus" claim. We should address the logic.

At the very least there is as much logic for a positive effect as a negative one. (in my expert opinion greater opportunity for positive than negative).

Now the big question. Do you have the intellectual honesty to admit what you are doing here...

Trainwreck

darkhorse

Oxford PPE (not a real economics degree) plus MPhil (Oxon) 1971.

No PhD.

He is not as expert.
You don't seem to understand what an expert is
Number one is that he must be right about his conclusions
There is no point is engaging an expert engineer with a PhD if ultimately the building falls down
Your entire argument rests on the qualifications you claim to hold - which make you mistakenly believe makes you an 'expert'.
Well you're not - you are a spoofer

mossyman

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies