EU - related events after Brexit ref, up to triggering of Article 50

robut

UK gives up 2017 presidency of European Council - RTÉ News

Britain is giving up its presidency of the European Council next year.

Prime Minister Theresa May informed council president Donald Tusk in a phone call yesterday.

The presidency rotates between the 28 EU member states on a six-monthly basis, giving each the opportunity to shape the agenda.

The UK was due to hold the seat in the second half of 2017, but Ms May has decided that Britain should skip its turn in the light of last month's referendum vote for Brexit.
At least this is a sort of quick progress where EU is concerned. Not sure who is next?

( Started this thread to cover / capture all such EU/Brexit events in time period stated in the Title .. If that makes sense :D )

statsman

blokesbloke

It's odd, really. The UK is doing stuff to extract themselves from the EU day-to-day, then saying Brexit won't happen before 2019:

Theresa May to Angela Merkel: UK will need time to prepare for Brexit | Politics | The Guardian
Well Brexit can't happen for two years after the Article is invoked, so it was never going to be an immediate thing.

I don't especially like the delay but it's several months, I can live with it.

It seems sensible to extract ourselves on practical day-to-day matters even before it's invoked if we're leaving anyway.

We've been in the EU for 43 years, it's not a simple process to change the myriad of laws, directives and regulations incorporated into British law via the EU over that time period.

statsman

Well Brexit can't happen for two years after the Article is invoked, so it was never going to be an immediate thing.

I don't especially like the delay but it's several months, I can live with it.

It seems sensible to extract ourselves on practical day-to-day matters even before it's invoked if we're leaving anyway.

We've been in the EU for 43 years, it's not a simple process to change the myriad of laws, directives and regulations incorporated into British law via the EU over that time period.
I'd have thought that doing things like not taking the presidency might actually make the process of negotiation even more difficult. While you're still members of the club, you should accept your responsibilities as members. To refuse to do so seems to me to run the risk of annoying the people you need to make deals with.

robut

Just on RTE News at 11.

Belgium have proposed they will step in and take up the presidency of the European Council next year in place of UK.

Belgium are one of the INNER 6 .. the original 6 who set up the EU way back ..

ibis

We should make an offer on it, for the laugh. Well, maybe not just for the laugh - we could use it to highlight the border issue.

statsman

You hope.:roll:
Actually, I don't. As someone who goes there once a month at least on business, and who lived there for several years, I have nothing but concern for the UK and its people.

Spanner Island

I'd have thought that doing things like not taking the presidency might actually make the process of negotiation even more difficult. While you're still members of the club, you should accept your responsibilities as members. To refuse to do so seems to me to run the risk of annoying the people you need to make deals with.
Is the Presidency that big a deal?

I never know where it is unless it's here or in the UK and then only because it's made a big deal of by the host government and media.

I reckon it's a sensible move tbh.

I don't think a UK presidency with 27 participants at various levels having to attend meetings in a country that is leaving would be particularly productive or effective.

It would be a bit of a charade that would only really benefit the media who'd bore us all to tears with it.

The UK isn't going to be driving or influencing any major EU decisions from now on.

statsman

Is the Presidency that big a deal?

I never know where it is unless it's here or in the UK and then only because it's made a big deal of by the host government and media.

I reckon it's a sensible move tbh.

I don't think a UK presidency with 27 participants at various levels having to attend meetings in a country that is leaving would be particularly productive or effective.

It would be a bit of a charade that would only really benefit the media who'd bore us all to tears with it.

The UK isn't going to be driving or influencing any major EU decisions from now on.
That last point is certainly true. But they will have to live with whatever decisions are made, so it might be best to be fully engaged while they still can.

Trainwreck

Actually, I don't. As someone who goes there once a month at least on business, and who lived there for several years, I have nothing but concern for the UK and its people.
Ah, bless. Those naive vulnerable children.

I do hope you let them know, on your monthly business trips.

Trainwreck

That last point is certainly true. But they will have to live with whatever decisions are made, so it might be best to be fully engaged while they still can.
Well, d'oh.

The fundamental issue of the referendum was that Britons were living (increasingly) with decisions they hadn't made.

Gurdiev77

UK gives up 2017 presidency of European Council - RTÉ News

At least this is a sort of quick progress where EU is concerned. Not sure who is next?

( Started this thread to cover / capture all such EU/Brexit events in time period stated in the Title .. If that makes sense :D )

Another seriously important piece of information that the remain campaigners failed to capitalise on.

The presidency, which now only comes round every 14 tears is a great opportunity to shape the future direction of the EU.

Would it not have made tremendous sense for cameron to have scheduled the referendum after wards ?

gerhard dengler

You're right, how could one even conceive that Britain could govern itself.
The decision by the U.K. for forgo the EU presidency in 2017 ought to be commended, rather than denigrated.

If the UK had gone ahead and accepted the presidency, the Europhiles would accuse the UK of being hypocritical.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies