• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

EU To phase out lightbulbs by 2009!


Redassmonkey

Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2007
Messages
8
Do we even live in a sovereign state that is capable of makeing its own decisions?. Is anyone else getting sick of that faceless entity the EU and their constant interferance?
 

rockofcashel

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 23, 2005
Messages
7,956
Website
www.sinnfein.ie
I believe they intend to phase out the wasteful tungsten filament type lightbulb, and not lightbulbs in general.

They intend replacing them with long life, low wattage CFL bulbs.

However, to answer your other question.. in reality no, we don't live in a sovereign state any more. When Nice 2 was put back in front of the people, our sovereignty effectively ended, de facto if not de jure
 

The Analyser

Active member
Joined
Jan 17, 2007
Messages
115
Redassmonkey said:
Do we even live in a sovereign state that is capable of makeing its own decisions?
There is no such thing as a sovereign state and never has been. We are impacted by economic, cultural and social pressures and always have been.

When Ireland joined the EEC it agreed to pool sovereignty.

As to this policy, it is 100% correct. The government should have done it long ago.
 

SPN

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 2, 2004
Messages
16,890
Redassmonkey said:
Do we even live in a sovereign state that is capable of makeing its own decisions?. Is anyone else getting sick of that faceless entity the EU and their constant interferance?
Is this a troll post, or have we just experienced a product of the underfunded Irish education system?


CFL lightbulbs use a tiny fraction of the electricity that incandescent lightbulbs use - I have just put in CFL spots with an 11W draw, but the brightness equivalent to 55W of incandescent (4 of them in one room, two in another).

Banning incandescent bulbs is an excellent idea.


Redassmonkey needs to get a clue before posting such idiocy on interweb boards! :twisted:
 

Catalpa

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 10, 2004
Messages
10,301
Its not a bad idea but I get the feeling that once again we will probably sign up to something and find our hands tied into forking out large sums of money to implement this while other States backtrack and stall without fear of punishment. :evil:

Let all the States of the EU be bound by the same rules and regulations and esp the same Timetable to complete the transformation.

If not then we should be under no legal obligation either.

BTW not a snowballs chance of every home in the EU having these new bulbs in place within two years.

It will take 5/10 years for a changeover and thats with no State copping out.
 

Redassmonkey

Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2007
Messages
8
SPN said:
Redassmonkey needs to get a clue before posting such idiocy on interweb boards! :twisted:
Did I say the banning of tungsten lightbulbs was a bad idea?
No I did not!. I did however criticize the EU and their nasty habit of telling so called sovereign nations what to do!. Do you have a problem with people who criticize the EU?.If you do then I suggest you "get a clue". :lol:
 

SPN

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 2, 2004
Messages
16,890
Redassmonkey said:
SPN said:
Redassmonkey needs to get a clue before posting such idiocy on interweb boards! :twisted:
Did I say the banning of tungsten lightbulbs was a bad idea?
No I did not!. I did however criticize the EU and their nasty habit of telling so called sovereign nations what to do!. Do you have a problem with people who criticize the EU?.If you do then I suggest you "get a clue". :lol:

Get a clue monkey boy! :wink:

You might also get some tuition on basic English comprehension.

Now f**k off and don't annoy me with your idiocy! :twisted:
 

green

Active member
Joined
Apr 21, 2003
Messages
136
Website
www.younggreens.ie
Catalpa said:
Its not a bad idea but I get the feeling that once again we will probably sign up to something and find our hands tied into forking out large sums of money to implement this while other States backtrack and stall without fear of punishment. :evil:

Let all the States of the EU be bound by the same rules and regulations and esp the same Timetable to complete the transformation.

If not then we should be under no legal obligation either.

BTW not a snowballs chance of every home in the EU having these new bulbs in place within two years.

It will take 5/10 years for a changeover and thats with no State copping out.
You do realise that Ireland backtracks, stalls and cops out of more EU environmental legislation than any other member state?
 

qtman

Active member
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Messages
280
Redassmonkey said:
No I did not!. I did however criticize the EU and their nasty habit of telling so called sovereign nations what to do!. Do you have a problem with people who criticize the EU?.If you do then I suggest you "get a clue". :lol:
Sovereign Nations created the EU, and the EU Commission, and gave it the power to propose legislation, which is then passed by the democratically elected European Council.

Because you don't understand the function or the background to the EU doesn't mean it is undemocratic.
 

CookieMonster

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 19, 2005
Messages
34,801
joemomma said:
SPN said:
Is this a troll post, or have we just experienced a product of the underfunded Irish education system?
A quick look back through Redassmonkey's previous posts will quickly reveal that in this case it's both.
If we're not careful Mairead McGuinness will be using him as one of her examples.
 

Redassmonkey

Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2007
Messages
8
SPN said:
Redassmonkey said:
SPN said:
Redassmonkey needs to get a clue before posting such idiocy on interweb boards! :twisted:
Did I say the banning of tungsten lightbulbs was a bad idea?
No I did not!. I did however criticize the EU and their nasty habit of telling so called sovereign nations what to do!. Do you have a problem with people who criticize the EU?.If you do then I suggest you "get a clue". :lol:

Get a clue monkey boy! :wink:

You might also get some tuition on basic English comprehension.

Now f**k off and don't annoy me with your idiocy! :twisted:
I smell a very sad and bitter individual. Resorting to personal attack via the internet is a trademark of sad and bitter individuals. :roll:
 

SPN

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 2, 2004
Messages
16,890
Redassmonkey said:
SPN said:
Redassmonkey said:
SPN said:
Redassmonkey needs to get a clue before posting such idiocy on interweb boards! :twisted:
Did I say the banning of tungsten lightbulbs was a bad idea?
No I did not!. I did however criticize the EU and their nasty habit of telling so called sovereign nations what to do!. Do you have a problem with people who criticize the EU?.If you do then I suggest you "get a clue". :lol:

Get a clue monkey boy! :wink:

You might also get some tuition on basic English comprehension.

Now f**k off and don't annoy me with your idiocy! :twisted:
I smell a very sad and bitter individual. Resorting to personal attack via the internet is a trademark of sad and bitter individuals. :roll:

.... and the nonsense you came out with is a trademark of clueless idiots who get called on their a) inability to comprehend basic english, and b) their general all-round cluelessness!


When you have something intelligent to say, then, maybe, you will get intelligent responses to your posts.

In the meantime, get used to having your idiotic meanderings referred to as such.
 

beardyboy

Active member
Joined
Feb 12, 2007
Messages
207
Hasn't Australia already done this already
 

St Disibod

Active member
Joined
Dec 3, 2005
Messages
113
Just a few questions for those in the know:

1) Does this only apply to household lightbulbs? I am assuming our torches and cars will keep the tungsten fires (or whatever the fancier cars are boasting these days) burning.

2) Will heat-lamps be left well alone, or will all our fastfood be left go cold?

3) Are there energy saving lightbulbs that can be dimmed with a dimmer switch?

All in all I think this reform makes sense, as long as I don't have to overhaul my car or rewire my house.

qtman said:
Sovereign Nations created the EU, and the EU Commission, and gave it the power to propose legislation, which is then passed by the democratically elected European Council.

Because you don't understand the function or the background to the EU doesn't mean it is undemocratic.
But the European Court of Justice is a right pain in the sovereign arse at times. In the 1986 Les Verts v. European Parliament case they decided that Article 173 (now Article 230), which read: "The Court of Justice shall review the legality of acts of the Council and the Commission;" should cover the European Parliament even though it was not mentioned in the Article. It's one thing for a court to interpret treaties, it's quite another when they decide they can re-write them: the ECJ itself decided that the EP must have been left out by accident or not included later by an oversight. The ECJ appears to enjoy high support levels among EU citizens, but I would attribute that to a winning combination of ignorance and the word' justice' in its title. At times this body has been a direct threat to both democracy and sovereignty.
 

SPN

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 2, 2004
Messages
16,890
beardyboy said:
Hasn't Australia already done this already
Yeah, but that doesn't matter ......

Australia is a member of The Commonwealth

or

Australia ISN'T a member of the EU

or

Australia ISN'T the USA - which regularly tells sovereign states what to do, and what NOT to do, under pain of aerial bombing (or, coming to a cinema near you in April - a tactical Nuclear strike)

or

whatever particular perspective yon muppet is coming from (it is very hard to tell as he/she keeps contradicting him/herself).
 

Redassmonkey

Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2007
Messages
8
SPN said:
.... and the nonsense you came out with is a trademark of clueless idiots who get called on their a) inability to comprehend basic english, and b) their general all-round cluelessness!


When you have something intelligent to say, then, maybe, you will get intelligent responses to your posts.

In the meantime, get used to having your idiotic meanderings referred to as such.
Ah yes, a typical response from a sad and bitter individual !. Prehaps he was bullied at school?. He certainly has a lot of repressed anger.
Cheer up mate! It is probably not your fault you are such a bitter and arrogant arsehole :roll:
Try to release some of your tension! Why not pull your k**b?, or maybe smoke a joint? :lol:
 

CookieMonster

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 19, 2005
Messages
34,801
Guys grow up, a bit of innocent ribbing is fine, but this is just childish.
 

SPN

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 2, 2004
Messages
16,890
Redassmonkey said:
Why not pull your k**b?, or maybe smoke a joint? :lol:
Grow up! :roll:
 
Top