EU wants 70kmh (45mph) speed limit on national primary roads.

Dredger

The ERSC has recommended a 45mph speed limit on national primary roads where no central median or side crash barriers are present.

EUROPE'S top road safety agency warned yesterday that the speed limit on our killer rural roads is too high and should be slashed by a third.

But the proposal is unlikely to be implemented by local authorities as speed limits here were changed and set when the country switched over to metric limits in 2004 -- and such a move now would not enjoy the support of many motorists.

Also, the EU is not in a position to force Ireland to introduce the recommended lower limits to save lives -- because it does not have control over national speed limits.

The general speed limit of 100kmh on main rural roads which do not have dividing crash barriers should be cut to 70kmh or less, an official report recommended yesterday.
EU wants to slash rural speed limit - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

They want people to crawl around in 4th gear.

jmayo

The ERSC has recommended a 45mph speed limit on national primary roads where no central median or side crash barriers are present.

Woudln't that really be 3rd gear ?

That would suit the eejits that drive like this already.
You know the ones that appear to be stuck at same speed and in same gear regardless if supper straight wide road or village street.

evercloserunion

70kmph is definitely not feasible, not on main rural roads anyway. Though maybe it would do for smaller backroads which are in worse condition and see more accidents.

We could do with a lower speed limit, but I don't know how much good it would do; better enforcement is the key really.

junius

I think its a brilliant idea. I worry every day when my sons in their early twenties and late teens go out on the roads. Most roads are not suitable and having speed limits of 100 kph makes no sense whatsoever. How many times have I screamed at my sons as I taught them to drive "Its a fu......c...ing speed limit NOT a speed target!" Bring it on EU. Current speed limits are for lunatics!:D

F.U.B.A.R

as usual, the few fook it up for the majority. same with the off license farce. what a sh.ithole of a country. now we have bigger brother dictating to big brother.

jmayo

No, 4th, you couldn't comfortably do 45mph in 5th and you would be over revving in 3rd.
Depends on car I would say.

Shure you could get to that speed with tractor plus full trailor on good straight hill. :eek:

keepitreal

as usual, the few fook it up for the majority. same with the off license farce. what a sh.ithole of a country. now we have bigger brother dictating to big brother.
+1, and the thing is the speed limit on these roads could be 30km/h and it wouldn't' make one blind bit of difference. The gardai are, of course, on the
nice long stretches of safely designed motorway with their speed guns to raise funds for FF, banks, developers etc.. etc.

Aindriu

I think its a brilliant idea. I worry every day when my sons in their early twenties and late teens go out on the roads. Most roads are not suitable and having speed limits of 100 kph makes no sense whatsoever. How many times have I screamed at my sons as I taught them to drive "Its a fu......c...ing speed limit NOT a speed target!" Bring it on EU. Current speed limits are for lunatics!:D
Rubbish! Kids don't take any notice of speed limits anyway and many of our rural roads are capable of being driven on at higher speeds as long as the driver is experienced.

The EU can go screw themselves!

rubensni

It would be an excellent idea to roll out more central crash barriers on national primary roads. Plenty roads are wide enough to be dual-carriageways, but instead we persist with these quasi-hard shoulders with a broken yellow line that may or may not be safe to pull into to let people pass?

Chrisco

Typical top quality from the Indo...

There is no such thing as the ERSC.

There is however, the European Traffic Safety Council, a "Brussels-based independent non-profitmaking organisation dedicated to the reduction of the number and severity of transport crash injuries in Europe" that issued a report yesterday.

Well done Treacy Hogan!

jmayo

Yeah right.
I am glad you are not teaching your sons to drive now.
The speed on most rural roads is 80kph and only national routes are 100kph.

On some roads (non motorways) I hold you could safely go at 140 kph whereas on other borreens you can just do about 30kph.

No amount of legislation is going to matter, because people will break the limits if firstly they are absurdly stupid for the conditions and secondly if there is no enforcement.

evercloserunion

Typical top quality from the Indo...

There is no such thing as the ERSC.

There is however, the European Traffic Safety Council, a "Brussels-based independent non-profitmaking organisation dedicated to the reduction of the number and severity of transport crash injuries in Europe" that issued a report yesterday.

Well done Treacy Hogan!
:rolleyes: Jesus.

I was going to point out that the ERSC does not, in all likelihood, speak with the official tongue of the EU, so it is incorrect to say that the EU told us to lower our speed limits.

I had no idea the Indo would be so far off as to get the organisation wrong...

Why is this paper as popular as it is?

slx

Can you imagine what would happen if they tried to implement this in Spain, Italy, France, the UK or any other country that likes to drive rather fast??!!

This simply isn't going to be implemented ever.

TradCat

How many times have I screamed at my sons as I taught them to drive "Its a fu......c...ing speed limit NOT a speed target!" Bring it on EU. Current speed limits are for lunatics!:D
You should drive close to or at the speed limit in normal conditions. Why wouldn't you? If you can't manage that you really shouldn't be on the road at all. People failing to get up to the speed limit are a menace. They cause bunching behind them and force people to overtake.

If there is fog or ice or some other good reason to slow down then you should do so. But only if there is a reason. Otherwise get on with it.

truthisfree

Can you imagine what would happen if they tried to implement this in Spain, Italy, France, the UK or any other country that likes to drive rather fast??!!

This simply isn't going to be implemented ever.
Because those countries just would not put up with it, on the other hand we accept everything like the feeble lambs we are!

Aindriu

you should drive close to or at the speed limit in normal conditions. Why wouldn't you? If you can't manage that you really shouldn't be on the road at all. People failing to get up to the speed limit are a menace. They cause bunching behind them and force people to overtake.

If there is fog or ice or some other good reason to slow down then you should do so. But only if there is a reason. Otherwise get on with it.
+1,000,000

New Threads

Most Replies