Eugene Regan - FG's ideal (non-)solution

adamirer

I like Kenny, let me say that out front, so this sin't a Kenny bashing thread. But just wondering if Eugene Regan, rather than Barrett, had been elected in DL in 2007, I think he'd be the ideal replacement. He's the only FG'er who really stands out (and maybe that because he could be viewed as untested), with the intellect and gravitas to be seen a serious, serious leader.

Only 110 votes behind Cuffe when eliminated... Its a shame personal circumstances prevent him from running in the next GE. Solicitor, business experience, European cabinet experience, clear understanding of finance (Director of Goldman Sachs), the guy has a CV far superior to anyone in the Dail.

Is he the man who should... but can't?

Tomas Mor

Fact is he was not elected, and did you say director of Goldman Sachs ? Did'nt he spend over 47,000. 00 to get elected to DL Council in 2004,and Have the people the right to be wrong ?

corelli

I like Kenny, let me say that out front, so this sin't a Kenny bashing thread. But just wondering if Eugene Regan, rather than Barrett, had been elected in DL in 2007, I think he'd be the ideal replacement. He's the only FG'er who really stands out (and maybe that because he could be viewed as untested), with the intellect and gravitas to be seen a serious, serious leader.

Only 110 votes behind Cuffe when eliminated... Its a shame personal circumstances prevent him from running in the next GE. Solicitor, business experience, European cabinet experience, clear understanding of finance (Director of Goldman Sachs), the guy has a CV far superior to anyone in the Dail.

Not being smart, but he is actually a Barrister.

Tomas Mor

Not being smart, but he is actually a Barrister.
A SC in fact. They wear horse hair on their heads- supposedly to protect them from lice from peasants, and gowns with pockets in the back, where people can slip money (used be guineas) and his majesty did not see the filthy lucre going in. Anyway Regan is an able guy, but why would he waste his valuable time in politics ?

goosebump

I love this quote:

Goldman Sachs is “a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money.”

The Great American Bubble Machine | Rolling Stone Politics

Socratus O' Pericles

Regan will be lucky to be elected in dun laoghaire next time if he stands & especially if Barrett runs. The Baileys will be still out to get him and there will be a serious swing to the left in dlr with Labour providing (two)serious candidates [despite her protestations Bacik would go in Dun Laoghaire I'd say] PBP SF and others willl make up the rest . Although FFand the Greens are f**** it might be hard for FG to get two. I expect Hanafin to be returned.

antsrathcam

If he has talent, and is an honest patriot, he wont be elected.

We save that job for the PJ Sheehans and Frank Faheys of this world.

adamirer

Regan will be lucky to be elected in dun laoghaire next time if he stands & especially if Barrett runs. The Baileys will be still out to get him and there will be a serious swing to the left in dlr with Labour providing (two)serious candidates [despite her protestations Bacik would go in Dun Laoghaire I'd say] PBP SF and others willl make up the rest . Although FFand the Greens are f**** it might be hard for FG to get two. I expect Hanafin to be returned.
He's not running, his wife is ill.

I can't see a second seat for Labour here with it going to a four seater and Richard Boyd barrett running. Still, back to the point. so he's a non-exec director of Goldman Sachs... so what? if anything it means he should have a better insight than those current in power!

adamirer

Fact is he was not elected, and did you say director of Goldman Sachs ? Did'nt he spend over 47,000. 00 to get elected to DL Council in 2004,and Have the people the right to be wrong ?
Course they have the right to be wrong. Hence 13 years of FF! That wasnt the q the OP posed.

Master Debater

I voted for him in the last election. I emailed him about an issue in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown area and he sent me an immediate response. I was impressed with him.

Morte

While there's no doubt of his competence, his electoral record would suggest he's not blessed with charisma. And if you think Kenny can pull some bad publicity for doing daft things, Regan's biggest headline is probably from when his daughter tried to sue Fine Gael to force herself onto a local election ticket over the sitting councillors (I'm free to be corrected if Naja was actually doing this against Eugene's advice). Don't get me wrong I love the guy to bits but the ability to run the country well is sadly not the only criteria for choosing a leader. It's debatable whether Regan is actually even as good as Kenny at those areas where Kenny seems to be falling down with the electorate.

Dave's thread said that he wouldn't run to be a TD. Does anybody know if he's prepared to go back to the Senate? Without the parish pump work I'd presume the time commitments would be much less.

biteback

He does seem to be good at digging up dirt on FF and using it well. His investigate skills could definitely be used amongst the FG frontbench at the very least.

I agree with previous posters who've said how sad it is intelligent/intellectual people cannot get elected to the Dail yet Mary Coughlan, Biffo etc. get in time and time again largely based on family name rather than policy or law making ability.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies