• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

€1 a cigarette. Too much?

Marcos the black

"Health Minister James Reilly wants to see each cigarette cost €1 to drive home to smokers the dangers of their habit."

Reilly wants every cigarette to cost

Given how much smokers cost the state each year maybe they should be a euro a pop... And it would certainly put them beyond the reach of teenagers, but also for many "hardened smokers" who's only vice is a pack of smokes a day...

As a recovering smoker I think that this could be a step too far, the illegal cigarettes trade will flourish and smoking could almost become a status symbol "Yes, I can afford to smoke, so what?"..

What do you think?

Spanner Island

I think you're right... the illegal smokes trade would flourish and the 'state' would end up losing income... 1st by losing all the taxes and duty they'd fail to collect and 2nd on the inevitable resources they'd end up wasting in the pursuit of the smugglers etc.

I know if I still smoked I'd be actively looking for illegal cigarettes cos €10 a pack is already a rip off...

Worst of all though, is the utter hypocrisy the 'state' indulges in with regards to smoking...

They're happy enough to take the revenue but also lambast smokers at every opportunity while also failing to make nicotene replacement products more affordable...

GDPR

unbelieveable stupidity from the hypocritical fascist. Luckily the laws of the real world eventually will be brought to bear on stupid decisions whether fatty likes it or not.

truthisfree

Who cares tbh.....illegal cigarettes are so easy to get that now even I smoke them....

Last edited:

emulator

Care to elaborate?
Yes.

€1 per cigarette is not too much. Don't they contain a drug that renders them addictive ? How are they even legal ?

They just show the force peer pressure plays on individuals and, apart from that, they are merely a form of Darwinism....

Marcos the black

Yes.

€1 per cigarette is not too much. Don't they contain a drug that renders them addictive ? How are they even legal ?

They just show the force peer pressure plays on individuals and, apart from that, they are merely a form of Darwinism....
You're right of course and if they were developed today they would never make it out into the market place, but they are out there and people are addicted. So if the price did increase dramatically they would just seek the ciggies illegally, BUT it should stop more people from starting them...

nationalsday

I deeply resent badger-features attempts to control my private life. Wouldn't mind so much if I didn't live in the Northern European equivalent of Haiti - a little rich now at this remove to have moral lecturing or further economic bullying after twenty years of the most corrupt and bankrupt legislature since the famine with the same old pocket liners in charge

Mr. Bumble

Very wrong and simplistic. What about the 80 year old pensioner who has been smoking 15 a day for 60 years? Is Reilly going to take away one of their few, or only, remaining pleasures in their declining years? He's a pr1ck if this goes through though I suspect it's populist rhetoric.

olamp

Cigarettes should be banned as a lethal substance -but no fear of that as the government hauls in the revenue generated by this poison.

Baztard

Who cares how much ciggies cost, just ban smokers from access to health services and watch the tax reveneues tumble. Will make no difference however as the reduction in the cost to the state of treating smoking related diseases will dwarf the tax income.

ticketyboo

"Health Minister James Reilly wants to see each cigarette cost €1 to drive home to smokers the dangers of their habit."

Reilly wants every cigarette to cost

Given how much smokers cost the state each year maybe they should be a euro a pop... And it would certainly put them beyond the reach of teenagers, but also for many "hardened smokers" who's only vice is a pack of smokes a day...

As a recovering smoker I think that this could be a step too far, the illegal cigarettes trade will flourish and smoking could almost become a status symbol "Yes, I can afford to smoke, so what?"..

What do you think?
As a non smoker who detests the weed, nonetheless it's an ill-considered, bombastic publicity seeking nonsense of a statement.
For those of us who dislike (and I'm using mild language here) smoking, I still feel we've just about got the balance necessary. Any more and you're driving the illegal trade upwards. Some of you may remember Sir Humphrey..."Prime Minister, these people are sacrificing their lives for this country". Many a true word spoken in jest indeed.
We could make the same argument for alcohol, and I look at the Minister for Health and ponder is he a man who likes his deoch. If not then judging by the shape of him he likes a lot of fatty food, so you can completely lose the run of yourself and have a carbo-hydrates tax to go along with the carbon tax.
No, methinks he's blowing hot air to give the impression of a robust, crusading Minister. Or, to put it another way, it's dangerous to make policy on your feet.

MacO'velli

Its a stupid move, because it would make sense for any punter to get in his car, drive to NI and fill the boot every few months, the hit to revenue would be immediate.
Methinks this press release is a flag flying exercise for something else Reilly has up his sleeve.

sport02

Probably a good idea but Reilly is far from the picture of health to be preaching.