€10 fares on all trains coming in weeks: Sunday Times

gijoe

There is an article in today's Sunday Times about train times and car journey times between our cities and comparing them now that the motorways have made car journeys quicker.

In the article Barry Kenny stated that the online promotional €10 fares that are available on just some trains will be extended to all trains shortly. To get the €10 fare you have to book them in advance. The first line that will be offering the €10 fare on all services will be the Galway line in the coming weeks.

Roll_On

awesome :) although the GoBus service offers a student return Dublin-Galway for €18 and it's faster than the train, no stops. It'd be great on the Cork line though

Interista

In the article Barry Kenny stated that the online promotional €10 fares that are available on just some trains will be extended to all trains shortly. To get the €10 fare you have to book them in advance. The first line that will be offering the €10 fare on all services will be the Galway line in the coming weeks.
Might be similar to the "Mini Pris" scheme they have in Norway. Train tickets are sold on the same basis as airline tickets - there are so many avaiable at the lowest price, and when they're all sold you move into the next price bracket, and so on. I got a Bergen-Oslo ticket for about 25 Euro by booking online 3 weeks in advance. Not bad considering a full price ticket would be about 100Euro!

gijoe

Might be similar to the "Mini Pris" scheme they have in Norway. Train tickets are sold on the same basis as airline tickets - there are so many avaiable at the lowest price, and when they're all sold you move into the next price bracket, and so on. I got a Bergen-Oslo ticket for about 25 Euro by booking online 3 weeks in advance. Not bad considering a full price ticket would be about 100Euro!
There was pointedly no mention on a limit of the number of seats available at the €10 fare, only that they must be booked in advance. I assume something like 14 or 21 days in advance.

MPB

Somebody discovered that offering value for money means more usage and hence more profit.

Most private sector companies have embraced this model, so nice to see the semi states do it too.

Maybe there is hope after all.

MsAnneThrope

Scenes from Heuston Station circa October:

Seriously though that's a great deal. I might make a couple of trips myself. Always enjoyed the train provided you can get a seat of course.

gijoe

Somebody discovered that offering value for money means more usage and hence more profit.

Most private sector companies have embraced this model, so nice to see the semi states do it too.

Maybe there is hope after all.
It will put a shiver down the spine of Bus Eireann no doubt.

Roll_On

this is step one to being competitive with private transport. Step 2 means some investment in the infrastructure and the relaying of some track.

Roll_On

It will put a shiver down the spine of Bus Eireann no doubt.
Oh Bús Eireann is useless All their intercity services stop in every Ballygobackwards. They avoid toll roads like the plague and they are ALWAYS late often between 50 minutes and 2 hours

corelli

Well, the on the spot return fair from Dublin to Galway, or the reverse, is 48 Euro. You can get an on the spot fair, on City Link bus, which is quicker with no stops and has free wi-fi, and a loo onboard, for 17 euro/20 max. How this is going to make much difference is a little beyond me. I don't have 21 days notice as to when I travel, nor do most, one would suspect.

gijoe

Scenes from Heuston Station circa October:

Seriously though that's a great deal. I might make a couple of trips myself. Always enjoyed the train provided you can get a seat of course.
I guess a bit of the logic of it is that if 100 people book €10 fares 3 weeks in advance maybe half of them will show up. Whereas if they offered €20 fares up to 3 weeks in advance they would have few takers!

euroboy

Train passengers in Ireland need to learn that people have reserved seats on trains.

I don't know how many times my seat has been occupied.

Roll_On

Do they actually say that you have to book 21 days in advance? I don't even book plain tickets that far ahead.

Interista

this is step one to being competitive with private transport. Step 2 means some investment in the infrastructure and the relaying of some track.
Another step is changing people's mentality. In recent years, Ireland seems to have developed an almost American-style 'car culture' where driving everywhere is the only thing to do. Now, it's partly understandable given Ireland's lousy public transport, but part of has to do with the 'status' of going everywhere by car. Perhaps one silver lining of the recession might be to change this mentality. Perhaps.

Roll_On

Train passengers in Ireland need to learn that people reserved seats on trains.

I don't know how many times my seat has been occupied.
TELL ME ABOUT IT!!!! then when you say it to them they act as if they're from the planet Zog and booking seats is a completely alien concept to them.

gijoe

Well, the on the spot return fair from Dublin to Galway, or the reverse, is 48 Euro. You can get an on the spot fair, on City Link bus, which is quicker with no stops and has free wi-fi, and a loo onboard, for 17 euro/20 max. How this is going to make much difference is a little beyond me. I don't have 21 days notice as to when I travel, nor do most, one would suspect.
In fairness the train is a far superior mode of transport than the bus. And I can see the €10 fare going down really well on the Kerry and Cork lines.

gijoe

Do they actually say that you have to book 21 days in advance? I don't even book plain tickets that far ahead.
No, no mention of the length of time in advance. I am only guessing 14 or 21 days. There is currently no time limit in booking the existing €10 fare trains.

Roll_On

No, no mention of the length of time in advance. I am only guessing 14 or 21 days. There is currently no time limit in booking the existing €10 fare trains.
why would they introduce such a time limit? Short breaks in Ireland tend to be a bit more spur of the moment than that.

cricket

Tried to book a Cork - Dublin return for a friend for next week and the cheapest I could get was €48.80. I think there's also a fine if you miss the scheduled train , there's a fine of , I think , €40.

New Threads