• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

€12000+ annual allowance safe for employees as Court upholds their claim.

He3

Today the High Court had to rule on a claim by two VEC employees intent on keeping €12000+ a year allowances, given originally for tasks that are no longer performed by them. The ruling suggests to me that whoever drew up the scheme long ago missed something. Or maybe they didn't miss it.

The news report says the beneficiaries in this case earn over €100k a year. That is apart from the allowance - I think.

Two VEC bosses win part of legal case over abolition of allowance - Independent.ie

"The CEO of Galway and Mayo VECs are on salaries of over €100,000 each  but said a special Transport Liaison Officers Allowance which is worth €12,500  a year to them should not have been  cut - even though that part of their role ceased two years ago."

The allowance by law became part of their entitlements, even if what it was given for was no longer part of their duties.

Spanner Island

Today the High Court had to rule on a claim by two VEC employees intent on keeping €12000+ a year allowances, given originally for tasks that are no longer performed by them. The ruling suggests to me that whoever drew up the scheme long ago missed something. Or maybe they didn't miss it.

The news report says the beneficiaries in this case earn over €100k a year. That is apart from the allowance - I think.

Two VEC bosses win part of legal case over abolition of allowance - Independent.ie

"The CEO of Galway and Mayo VECs are on salaries of over €100,000 each  but said a special Transport Liaison Officers Allowance which is worth €12,500  a year to them should not have been  cut - even though that part of their role ceased two years ago."

The allowance by law became part of their entitlements, even if what it was given for was no longer part of their duties.
This is the kind of bullsh!t and these are the kind of repugnant parasites that have this country f***ed...

They make me want to puke...

W*nkers...

freewillie

This is the kind of bullsh!t and these are the kind of repugnant parasites that have this country f***ed...

W*nkers...
I am sure they will consider your opinions carefully tonight as they break open a few extra bottles.
But at least you have expressed your anger and needn't do anything more about it.

Last edited:

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
....and so it goes on and on. I agree with you above however, they did not missit, it was well thought out beforehand. A win win situation written up by civil servants for civil servants. I mean it's just more gombeenation ballymagash rules and regulations.

In this day and age with extraordinary circumstances and the country broke etc....this type of situation should get immediate contract change.

carruthers

There's that word that fooked a nation... Entitlements.

venusian

W*nkers...
How about useless Noonan not cutting bankers salaries, repugnant parasites that the FFger's are, are the ones that have this country f***ed...

Nemesiscorporation

A judge has actually ordered they get paid for a job they no longer perform.

Going by that case, everyone who was made unemployed should sue to have there wages re-instated.

The cost of this should come out of the judges pay.

This is beyond insane.

cricket

This is the kind of sh1te that does a disservice to the thousands of public servants, many of them poorly paid, who have taken a hammering in recent years but continue to put in a good shift every day.

Equinox

A judge has actually ordered they get paid for a job they no longer perform.

Going by that case, everyone who was made unemployed should sue to have there wages re-instated.

The cost of this should come out of the judges pay.

This is beyond insane.
I suspect that the judge had one eye on his own generous entitlements when he made this ruling. Shameful.

devnull

Based on the link in the OP, the thread title is incorrect and the court has rejected the plantiffs' arguments that their allowances and terms and conditions can't be touched without their consent.
The legal options now appear to be that either the VECs can do their jobs in this matter or the law can be amended to give the power to do it to the Minister. In either case, the plantiffs have won the battle and lost the war.

He3

Funny the rush by a couple of posters to slam the guy who upheld the rules, rather than the people who wrote them.

Last edited:

Sister Mercedes

Funny the rush by a couple of posters to slam the guy who upheld the rules, rather than the people who wrote them.
The Judge said that only the VEC Boards (not the Minister) can remove the allowances. So why don't they vote to remove them?

Joyee

Because they have similiar allowances-the trough is still full for the 'lads'

He3

Insanity, paid for a job someone else is doing, the taxpayer paying twice for the same job and going to the courts and winning

He3

This allowance alone almost matches the annual salary offered for Museum security jobs advertised recently in Madrid. There were 11 posts available. There were almost 90,000 applicants.

blokesbloke

This allowance alone almost matches the annual salary offered for Museum security jobs advertised recently in Madrid. There were 11 posts available. There were almost 90,000 applicants.
:shock2: Really??