€130,000 spent by Kenny in hotel and travel bills in last 4 months as Taoiseach

Erudite Caveman

At a cost of €77,000 Einstein :roll:
So 9 people went to the US for 7 nights and did this:

In Boston the group stayed at the five-star Fairmont Copley hotel at a rate of €385 per night, in Washington the group stayed at the four-star Dupont Circle Hotel where an overnight stay ranges from €338 and €667 per person. The group stayed in four -star hotels for the remainder of the trip which were more modestly priced at €142 and €155 respectively.
Not exactly rock'n'roll, as anyone who has stayed in US hotels on business would know.

DaveM

Every year some dummy starts a thread on this. Doesn't matter who's in power. Doesn't matter the benefits. Ignores the money Patrick's day results in. Ignores the trade opportunities of our ministers having access to other countries. The way the leader of a country of 5 million has a standing appointment with the president of the US.
August. FOI is the only way some journalists can think of anything to write about. Paper never refused ink and there's always a market for po-faced faux outrage.

Socratus O' Pericles

I hate this perennial shíte, the Taoiseach (any Taoiseach) and his team should stay in the cheapest B&B ?

They're not going on a holiday thy're going on business- different rates apply, like it or not.

TBf to Kenny he was no Ahern or Haughey.

Watcher2

and when you don't go to your usual place of work, it's customary to get expenses
yes, yes, yes, we know that. I don't think that's what's at issue. But continue to side step why don't you.

Watcher2

Not exactly rock'n'roll, as anyone who has stayed in US hotels on business would know.
I think 9 people for 7 nights was the excessive bit. Maybe I don't know enough of international diplomacy, but I think it excessive, especially for a country that continues to borrow to keep the lights on.

Watcher2

Its as bad as the proverbial eejit down the road, up to his neck in debt, but still buys the latest gadgets and goes on the wonderful holidays.

Fr Peter McWhinger

I think 9 people for 7 nights was the excessive bit. Maybe I don't know enough of international diplomacy, but I think it excessive, especially for a country that continues to borrow to keep the lights on.
You mean we cant afford to sent Government Ministers or officials overseas?

The State spent more than €66m on staffing and rental costs for its embassies around the world last year, figures released by the Department of Foreign Affairs have confirmed.

Socratus O' Pericles

As one of my more capitalist buddies points out "Ya gotta Speculate to Accumulate"............. the whole world of capitalism at the (inter)national, business and individual trader levels is based on borrowing.

DaveM

Excessive to meet the President of the United States, the Vice President of the United States, the Congressional Leadership and who knows how many business figures with existing Irish interests or who might be potential investors in the economy?

Incidentally the amount spent is one and a half times the amount that Aengus Ó Snodaigh spent on fúcking print cartridges at the taxpayers' expense over a two year period. A little perspective is needed here.

Socratus O' Pericles

As one of my more capitalist buddies points out "Ya gotta Speculate to Accumulate"............. the whole world of capitalism at the (inter)national, business and individual trader levels is based on borrowing.
Also given the constraints of our scale and the relative weakness of our position I think we are handling our debt crisis quite well, however I'd like to see this guy's idea discussed a bit more:

Ireland's national debt: 'We are arguably approaching a very serious crisis'

How can we protect and help ourselves?

We can borrow €50 billion now, repay in advance the debt due to be repaid in the next few years, and replace it with money to be repaid much further into the future.

This would lock in unprecedented low bond yields reducing the cost of repaying our national debt. We can see this by comparing it to a mortgage. Suppose we had a mortgage of €300,000 and interest rates are say 6%, we’d need to pay back nearly €2,000 per month. But if interest rates were 1%, we’d only need to pay back a little over €1,000 per month. This greatly reduces what we need to repay.

From another perspective, our choice is between a very low fixed rate longer-term mortgage and a mortgage that needs repeated mortgage approval every year, with awful consequences if we ever get turned down.

Some would say the Troika was the best thing that could happened to this country fiscally and monetarily after the crash but we need to be flexible too.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
Every year some dummy starts a thread on this. Doesn't matter who's in power. Doesn't matter the benefits. Ignores the money Patrick's day results in. Ignores the trade opportunities of our ministers having access to other countries. The way the leader of a country of 5 million has a standing appointment with the president of the US.
Is there actually any direct proof that these junkets entice business or more likely baloney to justify the waste of state money on mega freebie's ?

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
Poor OP. Going further south now...
Excessive to meet the President of the United States, the Vice President of the United States, the Congressional Leadership and who knows how many business figures with existing Irish interests or who might be potential investors in the economy?

Incidentally the amount spent is one and a half times the amount that Aengus Ó Snodaigh spent on fúcking print cartridges at the taxpayers' expense over a two year period. A little perspective is needed here.
If it's a poor OP why do you keep posting on it then so ?

Just as Haughey would say back in the day.

NYCKY

Borrowing is great, it allows folks to own their own homes, businesses, cars, go to college etc

DaveM

If it's a poor OP why do you keep posting on it then so ?
I posted because the OP was a silly attempt to rustle up a bit of faux outrage. Simple as that.

Watcher2

You mean we cant afford to sent Government Ministers or officials overseas?

The State spent more than €66m on staffing and rental costs for its embassies around the world last year, figures released by the Department of Foreign Affairs have confirmed.
All borrowed money, so in a way, no, we cant afford it. We have access to funds so we are able to pay the bill but that does not mean we can afford it. Can you not see the distinction?

Watcher2

Ah, some "look over there" stuff. Haven't actually see it in a while. I'm sure its been posted (this is p.ie after all), I just haven't' seen it.

But its all a disgrace. No respect for taxpayers money. That's the problem.

I'm not saying Kenny should not have gone, I'm only questioning 9 people for 7 days. In my opinion, that was excessive. I've travelled for business many a time in my job. Travel is well controlled and excessivene4ss is not tolerated.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies