€16000 expenses top up for Super Junior Ministers

Dame_Enda

Under the Ministers an Secretaries and Ministerial, Parliamentary, Judicial and Court Offices (Amendment) Bill 2020, 3 Super Junior ministers will have access to €16000 in expenses.

This is in spite of remarks by the current Public Expenditure Minister Micheal McGrath against such an increase in 2017. He was asked about it and says he doesnt remember attempts by FF to block this back then.

Thejournal.ie said:

In a statement published on the Fianna Fáil party website, which is still available, the party’s then-spokesperson on education and skills, Thomas Byrne, confirmed that the party would block the creation of the new role.

“Let me make it clear – Fianna Fáil will vote against any legislative change which attempts to fund an additional super-junior position. Mr Varadkar didn’t think it through and must now deal with the consequences of the mess he created,” Byrne said.

Last edited:

james toney

We all know it's a greedy and obscene pay grab, wonder who came up with such a corrupt title of 'A super junior minister'?
It will be forever remembered as a PR disaster for the coalition of chaos.

A Parasitic overpaid minister would be a more accurate description.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
'Top-up' is a strange phrase when you think of it. It doesn't really convey the sense of reimbursing them for an expense but providing them with a target.

loner

This is an appalling abuse of the electorate---Jobs for the boys and girls has now become the order of the day --politicians and their army of highly paid advisers taking us for a ride--unfortunately the opposition have not indicated that they would be different.

james toney

Am I correct in thinking that these "super juniors" are a way of ignoring the constitutional limit on number of ministers?
It has happened previously with Regina Doherty...not sure of the details, but if my memory serves me right she had to pay back money that was wrongly awarded to her.

Uganda

Am I correct in thinking that these "super juniors" are a way of ignoring the constitutional limit on number of ministers?
in effect yes. But they can’t vote at cabinet. Not a huge cross to carry as there is never a vote at cabinet.

Round tower

It has happened previously with Regina Doherty...not sure of the details, but if my memory serves me right she had to pay back money that was wrongly awarded to her.

It was when she was chief whip, she paid the extra but was then deemed she was not entitled to it as the law at that time allowed only 2 super ministers could receive it.

culmore

See Brian Stanley getting an extra12000 for Chairman of Committee. All the same.

james toney

See Brian Stanley getting an extra12000 for Chairman of Committee. All the same.
He won't be taking that,(and that figure is wrong anyway).....but you can see why the spin is in full flow.
His high-profile chairmanship of the powerful Oireachtas Committee on Public Accounts (PAC) is a far more important role and a measure of the Laois TD’s success.

The committee scrutinises Government spending and has often been at the centre of major national controversies, including the massive overspend on the National Children’s Hospital.....and many other examples of alleged corruption in government.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Yes. It is amazing how politicians won't dare to enact something like long term rent controls, because apparently an AG suggests that it might not be constitutional...yet, it seems that they don't even feel the need to ask an AG if allowing non members of government (super juniors) to sit at cabinet, thus making each member of the government potentially in breach of the constitutional requirements on cabinet confidentiality, is legal.

ShoutingIsLeadership

in effect yes. But they can’t vote at cabinet. Not a huge cross to carry as there is never a vote at cabinet.
How do you know? What government is ever going to admit that it is split on something? That's the whole point of cabinet constitutionality

Round tower

Yes. It is amazing how politicians won't dare to enact something like long term rent controls, because apparently an AG suggests that it might not be constitutional...yet, it seems that they don't even feel the need to ask an AG if allowing non members of government (super juniors) to sit at cabinet, thus making each member of the government potentially in breach of the constitutional requirements on cabinet confidentiality, is legal.
Super Junior Miisters are there for 26 years and as far as i know no one has questioned the consitutionality of them, so u can be the first

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Have you ever noticed how the vast majority of employers keep a close eye on expenditure and it is always linked to reimbursement or cover of essential costs for the employee.

Except when it comes to politicians the system is different. It has allowance ceilings, which sounds like something a union might have pulled off in the 1970s at a print works.

Provide a ceiling in this area and people will generally find a way to hit it. I believe politicians are one of the few subsets of employees who are also allowed to submit claims for unvouched expenses (ie no invoice or receipt) up to a generous amount.

I bet no politician with private business interests would ever allow the system they are on to be brought in at their own business.

Round tower

He won't be taking that,(and that figure is wrong anyway).....but you can see why the spin is in full flow.
His high-profile chairmanship of the powerful Oireachtas Committee on Public Accounts (PAC) is a far more important role and a measure of the Laois TD’s success.

The committee scrutinises Government spending and has often been at the centre of major national controversies, including the massive overspend on the National Children’s Hospital.....and many other examples of alleged corruption in government.
Yes €9500, chairpersons of all party committees get
As him taking it not, don't know but he will be given it wht he does with it is up to himself.
It's not only in Gov.; it's as the heading states how public money is spent, before the 1 u mentioned their was the FAI and the one which brought controversey REHAB and how was it's chief was treated by the PAC

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom