€16000 expenses top up for Super Junior Ministers

Round tower

so then you are talking about Cabinet, not Government. That was my original question.
Gov. would be the Taoiseach and theministers which make the final decisions on matters.
Cabinet is the senior ministers + the 3 super ministers who don't have a vote. Up to what 94 the Gov. and the cabiet was the same thing till the SJM was appointed

Watcher2

Gov. would be the Taoiseach and theministers which make the final decisions on matters.
Cabinet is the senior ministers + the 3 super ministers who don't have a vote. Up to what 94 the Gov. and the cabiet was the same thing till the SJM was appointed
So what are backbencher? I thought they were also “the Government”?

Round tower

So what are backbencher? I thought they were also “the Government”?
Backbenchers are those in Gov. who are not Ministers, SJM or minisster of state, while in other parties like SF where they would not be a spokesperson on any of the cabinet portfolios.

omgsquared

If you're not able to stand over accusations, then you shouldn't make them. Stick to the facts though, and you'll do just fine.
Well thank you for your advice. In spite of the fact " The Moriarty Tribunal concluded "beyond doubt" that the previously mentioned Minister was a tax evader and had assisted a business consortium in acquiring a lucrative mobile phone licence and in spite of the fact that the same minister attempted and failed to use a defamation lawsuit against the press to silence it and of course there was the issue of a recorded conversation in which it is claimed he received undeclared payment of €250,000. for legal reasons it was stopped by the moderators. I guess they do not want the hassle and potential expenses of litigation and I respect their concerns

greencharade

"Cabinet" has no constitutional meaning.

These "junior minister" roles are in the nature of political favours, paid for by the public.

carlovian

Last edited:

ShoutingIsLeadership

Nope. The SJs sit AT cabinet, not IN cabinet.

ShoutingIsLeadership

No. One pretend minister was there since 1994

Interesting article on the unconstitutionality question

Hey! I have been saying that around here for the past few weeks, and I was told that I was wrong. Looks likes some lawyer type agrees with me. Thanks for posting that

ShoutingIsLeadership

If there is a constitutionality issue, presumably the Opposition parties will get legal advice re same?

Also on your final point, officials frequently attend cabinet meetings, so I suspect that's not an issue.

Interesting?

(acknowledgement to @carlovian for posting)

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom