• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

€26m Sports Grants announced for capital spending: what catches your eye and what's missing?

Con Gallagher

http://www.dttas.ie/uploads/documents/news/Sports Capital Programme Local Projects.pdf

In the year of boxing success, the grants to boxing clubs (though welcome) seem quite low when compared to rugby, soccer and GAA clubs.

Why do clubs which have membership/subs costing €385, eg Tennis Clubs like Sutton get, €296k of public funds? (Ditto golf clubs)

What did Islandeady Clay Pigeon shooting club do to justify its €10k?

I can't notice any great uplift to sporting organisations for those with disabilities, which might have been expected after the Paralympics? (Dochas in limerick did get a couple of grand).

Who decides these? What is the criteria? Could a minister do a Reilly on it and move up projects in his constituency? (In fairness to Michael Ring, that does not appear to be the case from this list)

Catalpast

http://www.dttas.ie/uploads/documents/news/Sports Capital Programme Local Projects.pdf

In the year of boxing success, the grants to boxing clubs (though welcome) seem quite low when compared to rugby, soccer and GAA clubs.

Why do clubs which have membership/subs costing €385, eg Tennis Clubs like Sutton get, €296k of public funds? (Ditto golf clubs)

I can't notice any great uplift to sporting organisations for those with disabilities, which might have been expected after the Paralympics? (Dochas in limerick did get a couple of grand).

Who decides these? What is the criteria? Could a minister do a Reilly on it and move up projects in his constituency? (In fairness to Michael Ring, that does not appear to be the case from this list)
Has anyone told Angela?:shock:

ger12

Salient question. I'd very much like to know in an era of "New Politics".

sic transit

sic transit

ger12

sic transit

You simply apply and hey presto?
Isn't the idea to make all interfaces between the public and Govt simple? Imagine it's a lot more complicated than that and past experience with other official grants suggests lots of hoops to jump through.

Mushroom

Some beauts there right enough, many in Dublin:

As well as Sutton LTC getting €296K, we've got the well heeled

Malahide RFC €190K

Malahide Utd AFC €69K

Suttonians RFC €92K

Merrion CC €230K

Donnybrook LTC €150K

And the Civil and Public Servants' very own private sports club Sportslink (PSTSC) is getting €173K (interest declaration - I'm a member - yeehaw!)

ger12

Isn't the idea to make all interfaces between the public and Govt simple? Imagine it's a lot more complicated than that and past experience with other official grants suggests lots of hoops to jump through.
Yes - simple - fair and transparent. Shouldn't all three boxes be ticked otherwise we have newspaper headings like this ....

Revealed: Surge in Lotto cash grants for Kenny's home base - National News - Independent.ie

From what you've linked there doesn't seem to be a criteria (pesky word that) from which the lucky duckys are selected for dosh.

Who ultimately makes the decision? A board of directors or the Minister?

Diawlbach

Malahide RFC €190K

Malahide Utd AFC €69K

Suttonians RFC €92K

Merrion CC €230K

Donnybrook LTC €150K

And the Civil and Public Servants' very own private sports club Sportslink (PSTSC) is getting €173K (interest declaration - I'm a member - yeehaw!)
SFAIK, Suttonians aren't that loaded a club at all, and cover a large enough area. Malahide aren't rich; only reformed in 1978, very progressive club.

Don't confuse the club and the area.

Mushroom

Malahide aren't rich; only reformed in 1978, very progressive club.

Don't confuse the club and the area.

Can't speak for Suttonians, although I'd wager that they're not on the breadline. However both of my kids played mini-rugby for Malahide RFC so I'm reasonably familiar with the setup. The club did a handy land swap with a developer about a decade ago and got a new clubhouse, floodlights and top notch pitches down at the Estuary. In fact so good are the new facilities that Leinster have held a one or two training sessions there.

Analyzer

More money for circuses.

Analyzer

alloverbartheshouting

Malahide RFC €190K

Malahide Utd AFC €69K

Suttonians RFC €92K

Merrion CC €230K

Donnybrook LTC €150K

I have a private sports club? :shock2:

Mushroom

:) But do I get an allowance for it, that's what I wanna know.

Only if you can convince the powers that be and Brendan Howlin that the water in the swimming pool is so cold that a valid case exists for the payment of a hypothermia allowance.