• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

€4.3 billion is the cuts target

johnfás

Eamon O'Cuiv stumbled on his words this morning and ended up outlining the figure of €4.3 billion as being the cuts target.

<Mod> This thread has been merged with "Eamon O'Cuiv lets the cat out of the bag: €4.3billion budget". </Mod>

Last edited by a moderator:

HarshBuzz

too low

gijoe

Eamon O'Cuiv lets the cat out of the bag: €4.3billion budget

Eamon O'Cuiv has seemingly let the cat out of bag inadvertantly in a radio clip in suggesting that the adjustment being sought in the budget is €4.3billion. Newstalk are carrying the clip.

EvotingMachine0197

Is that just cuts or cuts+taxes ?

4.3 Billion is an awful lot of dosh to cut. There's trouble ahead.

HarshBuzz

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
Well too low for recovery, but enough to keep an even keel. If the Croke Park agreement remains in place there is no saving what so ever from Public Sector cut backs, only reduced services. That means the lions share of 'cuts' will be made achieved through increased taxes. The low paid and unemployed are firmly in the governments sights already. God help anyone else whose incomes are not guanenteed and supported by govenment borrowing.

gijoe

No wonder John Gormley came out of the budget meeting yesterday looking for a 'concensus' with the opposition i.e. he is looking for political cover for the pain that has to be inflicted in December.

sport02

Originally meant to be 3 billion, now 4.3 billion, that makes it a little over 40% up on it's initial targert.
These FF TD'S are chancers, they never get the figures right, look at anglo, they should just give us a general election.

gijoe

Plus the €4.3billion is coming from circa just €35billion of net government spending because €20billion of it is deemed off limits under Croke Park.

HarshBuzz

With the income levy, the drop in capital expenditure and the cuts to date in the public sector, some might say we're two years into a six year "plan"?
I wouldn't disagree with that

I'm glad to see you put 'plan' in quotation marks as there's no element of strategy about anything the government has done

EvotingMachine0197

Well too low for recovery, but enough to keep an even keel. If the Croke Park agreement remains in place there is no saving what so ever from Public Sector cut backs, only reduced services. That means the lions share of 'cuts' will be made achieved through increased taxes. The low paid and unemployed are firmly in the governments sights already. God help anyone else whose incomes are not guanenteed and supported by govenment borrowing.
With a current deficit of 20 Billion it does seem a bit low. But this is the kind of thing that has to be done piecemeal IMO. Too much of anything without warning causes economic shocks and whatnot.

Also, a balance has to be found between reducing the deficit to please bond markets and leaving enough cash in the economy to provide a basis for recovery.

So maybe 4.3 Billion is about right....I dunno.

Crowey

I wouldn't disagree with that

I'm glad to see you put 'plan' in quotation marks as there's no element of strategy about anything the government has done
The last time the Govt had an overall budget of Eur30 billion was around 2001 or 2002... if only each department could work off budgets similar to what they had then!

constitutionus

i cant see anyway out of this that doesnt involve hitting PS wages.

its just not possible.

my bet is watch the pension levy go way up.

EvotingMachine0197

The last time the Govt had an overall budget of Eur30 billion was around 2001 or 2002... if only each department could work off budgets similar to what they had then!
Huge chunks of voted expenditure are wages and pensions. You'd have to get these back to 2002 levels to have any serious impact.

Good luck with that ...

HarshBuzz

i cant see anyway out of this that doesnt involve hitting PS wages.

its just not possible.

my bet is watch the pension levy go way up.
interesting one constitutionus

would that be outside the scope of the CPD? I have no idea

constitutionus

as its a tax/levy your wages are technically still the same.

its the type of sneeky shyte i'd expect of them so i reckon anythings possible.

i just wish they'd be honest and say all the money thrown at em from the bubble is gone and they have to deal with it.

all this cloak and dagger stuff just pisses people off.

Miserable eFFer

I wonder would my doctor bring his fee back to 2002 levels. Or my dentist. Or my grocer. Or my undertaker. Or anyone else for that matter. Get real here for everyones sake!!! We live in an undertaxed, overpaid society. The rich will get richer(if they managed to avoid NAMA) and those dependant on State handouts including the Public Sector will get poorer. It's the natural order of things after all. When you did a hole as deep as we have you should stop digging and begin to fill the damn thing in.