€418 million spent cross-border

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
The Central Statistics Office has issued a review of cross-border expenditure this morning, which shows total household expenditure on shopping in Northern Ireland was €418 million the twelve months to June 2010. Broadly similar to the previous 12 months.

The research shows some other interesting pieces of data.

• The average amount of a single shop in Northern Ireland was €274.
  • 14% of households made at least one shopping trip to Northern Ireland which is down slightly compared to the previous year, how those who have made trips are making more of them. Those who mades trips to Northern Ireland did so on average 8.6 times.

You can read the CSO report here.

D

Duth Ealla

Interesting figures. The Border region forming the largest component naturally enough and inevitably enough.

the tendency of some towards protectionist fetish when it comes to cross border trade is amazing. Those who will come on here invariably mumbling about national duty to shop in the southern state (FF & FG take a bow) do not think about the benefits of trade and the huge volume of trade sold to the northern state.

Secondly those who complain about the figures should be as focussed on why the cost is so much higher here as opposed to the northern state. A much more productive exercise than engaging in boot slapping and the economic suicide of protectionism.

Last edited:

jacko

the average spend per shop certainly seems accurate judged on my own observations at Asda Enniskillen.

Most people I know only go three or four times a year but that is probably offset by people who are nearer (Sligo etc) who travel more regularly

Ethan Edwards

Yes! That sounds about right, for me anyway. I go up to ASDA in Enniskillen about every 5 or 6 weeks stock up the car and back to Dublin as long as the exchange rate is around 87p or better to the euro my family does well, the trick is to have a chest freezer to store items although you still buy some items fresh down here. If anybody wants to call this unpatriotic so be it, I turned a corner and really could not give a fiddlers anymore. Staff up there in the shops are very helpful, the shop comfortable, if you can’t make a good saving there is not much hope for you. Currently the exchange rate is 85p so that will stop some, not the people in the border area from going up but I will still go up before Christmas and be more careful even if the exchange rate stays at 85p. The prices down here have not fallen enough to match the cutbacks people have suffered so it is a matter of cutting your cloth that’s all. The notion of customer service and value for money for retailers in Dublin seems to me to still be an alien concept.

jacko

Yes! That sounds about right, for me anyway. I go up to ASDA in Enniskillen about every 5 or 6 weeks stock up the car and back to Dublin as long as the exchange rate is around 87p or better to the euro my family does well, the trick is to have a chest freezer to store items although you still buy some items fresh down here. If anybody wants to call this unpatriotic so be it, I turned a corner and really could not give a fiddlers anymore. Staff up there in the shops are very helpful, the shop comfortable, if you can’t make a good saving there is not much hope for you. Currently the exchange rate is 85p so that will stop some, not the people in the border area from going up but I will still go up before Christmas and be more careful even if the exchange rate stays at 85p. The prices down here have not fallen enough to match the cutbacks people have suffered so it is a matter of cutting your cloth that’s all. The notion of customer service and value for money for retailers in Dublin seems to me to still be an alien concept.
+1

and Tesco and the Erneside Shopping Centre are within 400 metres.

Always try and hit the town in the morning as the traffic gets very heavy

ned green

the average spend per shop certainly seems accurate judged on my own observations at Asda Enniskillen.

Most people I know only go three or four times a year but that is probably offset by people who are nearer (Sligo etc) who travel more regularly
Yes,a lot of people from Sligo and the surrounding area shop exclusively in Enniskillen primarily in Asda.There is a lot of hypocrisy especially at this time of year from our local politicians appealing to people to shop local,they don't practice what they preach.A couple of years ago I was almost run over at the door of Asda by a then Mayor of Sligo and their spouse pushing two overloaded trollies.The then Mayor was on local Radio and media the following week, appealing to people to support local businesses and jobs.

Ethan Edwards

No wonder nobody believes the ************************e that comes out of their mouths anymore?

Tigris Celtica

I'm only surprised that the spend over the border isn't even more.

I went on a Christmas booze trip to Newry with a few friends and a white transit van (which we filled ) yesterday.:cool:

In Sainsbury's in Newry you can but two fifteen can packs of decent beer ( Carlsberg etc - Not Dutch Gold ! ) for £15 - Thats fifty pence per can...:cool:

Let me see : Do I want to spend a fiver + per pint down the local or get a few friends around and drink at home at 50 pence per pint ? ? - It's a no brainer ! ! .:D

Tigris Celtica

I was almost run over at the door of Asda by a then Mayor of Sligo and their spouse pushing two overloaded trollies.The then Mayor was on local Radio and media the following week, appealing to people to support local businesses and jobs.
Was that the same mayor who was a big supporter of Nigerian Pamela ? .:-x

D

Duth Ealla

The same people who call it unpatriotic are the parties that pretended the north was not part of Ireland except when it came to GAA.

Ignoring what they call patriotic behaviour would be very wise indeed.

The people who call for such a boycott. What exactly do they want to achieve and are they willing to engage in a trade war with another part of Ireland. To whose benefit?

If anyone calls your behaviour unpatriotic you could rightfully point out their poorly though out approach was so economically clueless to represent the real lack of patriotism.

However look at who are saying such things - Fianna Failer and Fine Galers. The two parties whose inability to run the country with anything like forethought or vision has led us down this rocky road. Why should we continue to listen to them when they are demonstrably not thinking this "unpatriotic" line through.

Take no heed of them.

Ethan Edwards

+1

and Tesco and the Erneside Shopping Centre are within 400 metres.

Always try and hit the town in the morning as the traffic gets very heavy
I never go to Tesco in Enniskillen, TBH I don't know why, are they any good for bargins up there?. I did find childerns shoes expensive in the Erneside there are better deals in the smaller shoes shops down south, another place worth checking out is the outlet malls about 10 miles passed Newry v/good for adult clothes suits & casual, shoes and boots.

Grumpy Jack

I'm only surprised that the spend over the border isn't even more.

I went on a Christmas booze trip to Newry with a few friends and a white transit van (which we filled ) yesterday.:cool:

In Sainsbury's in Newry you can but two fifteen can packs of decent beer ( Carlsberg etc - Not Dutch Gold ! ) for £15 - Thats fifty pence per can...:cool:

Let me see : Do I want to spend a fiver + per pint down the local or get a few friends around and drink at home at 50 pence per pint ? ? - It's a no brainer ! ! .:D
You consider Carlsberg decent beer? Seriously?

Tigris Celtica

I doubt it - nothing stays the same.
The fact that this dumb feudal kleptocracy masquerading as a republic is ****ed will stay the same for some time.... Hence the relatively cheaper prices north of border will probably become even cheaper.

D

Duth Ealla

It's all one way traffic now and will be in the future...

Yet beyond retail shopping there is still huge trade. Are those calling for shopping local willing to also stop buying the other goods and services
from the north east?

Food Dinrk and tobacco alon in 2008 was €738 millon

Would the Fianna Fail and Fine Gael patriots prefer if the north spent that elsewhere?

There is plenty of traffic in both directions and as Cruimh sais swings and roundabouts and that includes by sector. More to this pie than footfalls in the northern shops.

Cavalier

I never go to Tesco in Enniskillen, TBH I don't know why, are they any good for bargins up there?. I did find childerns shoes expensive in the Erneside there are better deals in the smaller shoes shops down south, another place worth checking out is the outlet malls about 10 miles passed Newry v/good for adult clothes suits & casual, shoes and boots.
I find Asda in Enniskillen to be top class. Great prices generally, even without special offers. Worth the trip up for sure.

jacko

they currently have 25% off all wine (buy 6 bottles or more) - and double clubcard points.

Bottles that are €9.99 in Tesco in the south are €4 in Ennniskillen

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies