€9 billion needed over 10 years to fix the Health Service.

Hans Von Horn

Tony O'Brien Chief of the HSE has said that 9 billion is needed over the next 10 year in capital spending to make the HSE Fit for purpose. The current level of Capital funding for the HSE has been as mere €390 million which was slashed from over €1 billion.

Aging equipment and a changing demographic profile are identified as major issues driving the need for increased investment. The influx of needy immigrants is putting a huge strain on the Health service. It is more politically correct to blame old people than immigrants for shortages of health care capacity. HSE chief says

The State has run down capital spending on the Health Service and massively ramped up spending on renewable energy which has only mode electricity very expensive and CO2 emissions have actually increased.

Massive duplication of infrastructure has been ordered on generation, distribution, transmission, and interconnectors, with subsidies to both save co2 and produce CO2 intensively at the same time using peat power.

All this while waiting list grow to over half a million and people suffer and die. The cost of a single hospital bed per year is circa €80,000 and many more beds are needed.

Socratus O' Pericles

I heard Joe Brolly for a few mins. on that MO'C show, he reckons there are 3 surgeons in the U.K. fir every one in the ROI.

Therefore, a transplant foundation like his cannot work here, we just don't have the infrastructure, I think he said there was no waiting list in NI.

We have a distance to go in persuading NI folk that a UI is a good thing.

Hans Von Horn

I heard Joe Brolly for a few mins. on that MO'C show, he reckons there are 3 surgeons in the U.K. fir every one in the ROI.

Therefore, a transplant foundation like his cannot work here, we just don't have the infrastructure, I think he said there was no waiting list in NI.

Would our sick be better off if Ireland was within the UK?

mr_anderson

The Health Service should only cover some illnesses, but not all.
Let people take out private health care for the excess.

If a person drinks too much, smokes too much & eats too much, why should I pay for their deliberate lifestyle illnesses ?

mr_anderson

You also have a distance to go in persuading the Southern folk that a UI is a good thing.

Clanrickard

The Health Service should only cover some illnesses, but not all.
Let people take out private health care for the excess.

If a person drinks too much, smokes too much & eats too much, why should I pay for their deliberate lifestyle illnesses ?
What about people who box? What about those who go mountaineering? Those ride motorcycles?

Franzoni

The NHS is being run down also....waiting times in A&E are on the increase and it looks like the extra £350 million that was going to be taken off the EU and given the them ain't gonna happen anytime soon...

We won't need to persuade anyone of anything..... the Tories and the DUP are doing a great job as it is..........:D

gleeful

Sister Mercedes

If the money is to be spent on new diagnostic equipment, then I'm for it.
Up and down the country there are pristine laboratories with shiny new diagnostic equipment or hospital wards that would put a 5 star hotel to shame. But they sit there empty and unused.

Socratus O' Pericles

Socratus O' Pericles

constitutionus

I suggest spending hundreds of millions on "health monitor's" for every one in the country and setting up a quango to bill them a "fittness charge " to fund it based on how often you spend on your arse doing no exercise .

Borrowing on the international market at extorionate rate to run the hospitals of course .

How can it fail ?

:D

damus

There's always an excuse for failure...but senior managers will never consider that maybe the problem are the inept managers!

Erudite Caveman

Redesign the health system around the needs of patients, rather than around vested interests like the IMO, Liam Doran and ambulance chasers.
I don't think anyone with even the slightest interaction with the health service would believe that the health service is being run for the benefit of nurses. They are definitely on the same side of the fence as the patient. On the other hand, you left out the pencil pushers.

brughahaha

Our spending on healthcare per head is already higher than France, which has one of the best health systems in the world.

Spending more money on health will increase the subscription prices at Elm Park Golf Club . It won't do anything to improve our disaster of a HSE.

List of countries by total health expenditure per capita
That's a fact often trotted out but
There is a historical underfunding in infrastructure to catch up on and I suggest wages and admin , especially on external consultants is out of kilter with the per head spending elsewhere
Lastly , few other public health care systems have a system where it's in the medical staffs interest -the same staff-to force you to go private to see the same consultant

wombat

Western Australia offered tax deals to medical practices to fund MRI machines, intending to increase the number in smaller towns. The unintended consequence was a surplus of machines in Perth where they are used to diagnose sprains and sports injuries. The biggest problem with high cost diagnostic equipment in Ireland is the failure to use them outside the standard work week.

Spanner Island

But but but... if there's new tech brought in then the workers will need to be trained to use it and no doubt will be looking for more money in order to operate it... or at least their poxy unions will...

That's the way it goes... double whammy practically every time there's any suggestion of introducing anything that is actually supposed to improve things for workers, for patients, for anything to do with the PS...

I'm not opposed to new tech... or the operating of it on a basis that is far beyond 9-5 Mon-Fri in the case of what should be a 24/7/365 health service... but you need to budget for the additional opportunistic costs that will come with it beyond just the tech itself...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies