• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

€9000 of raid cash goes missing in Garda station

borntorum

This is a bit curious, isn't it?

The money in the bag was the suspected proceeds of an armed robbery at a post office in Lusk, north Co Dublin, last January.
Armed raiders made off with €26,000 after holding up staff at the premises, but the haul was recovered soon afterwards.
Detectives on an anti-crime patrol responded to an emergency call about the raid and intercepted the gang as they were making their escape.
After the cash was taken by gardai to Balbriggan station in Dublin, it was bagged and tagged after being photographed for use as evidence in a subsequent criminal trial.
The money was then placed in a safe at the station.
However, when the owner of the premises called to seek the return of the money, gardai discovered a small tear in the side of the bag.
The contents of the bag were checked and it was discovered that €9,000 had disappeared.
Now, obviously investigations are ongoing and nothing is known definitively yet. But it looks like yet again members of the Gardaí could have serious questions to answer. On the News at One it was suggested that this could jeopardise the successful prosecution of the original robbery.

€9,000 of raid cash missing from garda station - Independent.ie

Vega1447

I sure hope that there is no record kept of who had access to the "secure" safe - and that there is no CCTV monitoring....

borntorum

I'm just waiting for PJ Stone to argue that the guards were forced into it by Shatter's cutbacks...

IbrahaimMohamad

Extraordinary that it all did not go missing!

Surely if it's evidence there will be a chain of custody.

If there isn't, or if it is deficient, it means more than simply a problem with this case. Practically any evidence processed in this station could be challenged.

greenbacks

Surely there must be some sort of a paper trail esp with a hole in the bag ;)

Surely there must be some sort of a paper trail?
In any criminal trial the chain of custody is a vital assurance that any evidence is legit. If undocumented access to evidence is demonstrated then the evidence is reduced in vale to near worthless.

B

Boggle

Is the evidence room so unsecure that they need a safe for valuables?

The Owl

Now lookit, the person could have taken it all, but no. S/he only needed the nine grand and took exactly that. Not ten, nine. I'm very proud of our Guards so I am.

james toney

Will this be on the next episode of Crimecall? Shady Síochána:)

B

Boggle

Now lookit, the person could have taken it all, but no. S/he only needed the nine grand and took exactly that. Not ten, nine. I'm very proud of our Guards so I am.
Look, it's progress. Give it a few years and they'll be honest...

Seriously though, you'd like to see a review of procedures arising out of this and an overview of evidence traceability and security. This kind of thing should never ever happen and it only hakes them look like thieves or, worse, idiots.

borntorum

You're definitely a glass half-full kind of person