Europe told us to cut minimum wage: Gormley

gijoe

This is COIR's wet dream headline in tomorrow's Examiner. They are quoting John Gormley as stating that it was the EU who were behind the move to cut the minimum wage by €1. Looks like that infamous COIR poster was absolutely on the money after all.

Cael

Yes, the free state is just a province once again - this time of the Fourth Reich.

spidermom

Yep...saw that.....ARA bless..they made us do it!!!!....

goosebump

I think that this statement is at least offensive to my German cousins, and at worst racist.
Don't worry about it.

In Cael's mind, its still 1939.

Cael

I think that this statement is at least offensive to my German cousins, and at worst racist.
Not at all. The German people are also the victims of this meglomania.

cul de sac

Gormley adds fat to the fire. Somebody must have annoyed him at cabinet! This will set saturday up nicely.

Cael

Don't worry about it.

In Cael's mind, its still 1939.

The Fourth Reich is very much in 2010. Its a new Reich, and very different to the Third Reich, just as the First and Second Reichs were different.

MPB

I wonder was this before or after the cabinet offered to halve their own salaries along with the useless muppets in the Dept of Finance?

Squire Allworthy

The EU was behind it and the Greens and FF had no part of it! ;)

Let us stay focussed whose 4 year plan is it?

Hooch

I somehow doubt they specifically said to cut the minimum wage.

Rehn did mention labour market reforms, Gormley is probably spinning that statement to try and get himself out of hot water.

I doubt it will save him.

kerdasi amaq

The point behind the Cóir poster was that it was the average of the minimum wage in the accession countries, or was it Europe as whole, was €1.84 and that by opening up our labour market to Eastern Europe would drive down the minimum wage to the Eastern European average. At least that's how I remember hearing it on the radio when one of Cóir's representative was inerviewed.

The lying "good European" media completely mis-represented Cóir's position.

collina

How so? The Germans are not a race. Besides it was the Germans that set up the third Reich so not offensive.

Hooch

evercloserunion

Some day, in 20, 30 or 40 years, we will have abortion in this country, and you can bet the farm that the same eejits will be waiting to blame it on Lisbon.

Do you not think that the lowering of the minimum wage has more to do with a financial crisis and economic meltdown exacerbated by abnormally high labour costs which disincentivise MNCs from setting up here and force SMEs under? That is not to say I support the lowering of the minimum wage but that is the reasoning behind it. Of course Gormley will blame it on Europe, as always he is trying to shrug off any responsibility for his actions and the actions of his party.

Also, any role played by Europe in the lowering of the minimum wage is based on political pressure due to us being broke and needing their money, and has nothing to do with Lisbon.

Finally, 7.65 > 1.84, therefore Coir are still retarded, QED.

Kalan

exit?

The continuance of easy liquidity is essential for Irish banks to maintain even their current zombie status. That easy liquidity is now incompatible with Germany's monetary requirements.
If the ECB refuses to perform its essential central bank function in relation to Ireland,-act as lender of last resort-Ireland's best option might well be to join the 'sterling area'. That nice Mr. Cameron would surely be receptive to such a proposal.

"The ECB will say next Thursday how much of its crisis support --mostly ultra-easy loans for banks-- will remain in place beyond mid-January."
ECB blanks Ireland fears to keep eyes on exit path | Reuters

Fail Better

Vincent Brown commented on this statement from Gormley saying that he had heard something quite different.

Considering Gormley's whole 'i'm in government and now out of it' hokey pokey I wouldn't be surprised if this was more don't blame us nonsense.

I think Paddy Powers should start taking bets on how many political crises Gormley can create between now and the budget.

kerdasi amaq

Finally, 7.65 > 1.84, therefore Coir are still retarded, QED.
Do you know what a slippery slope is? If they are allowed to get away with this, do you think that they'll stop at €7.65?

Hooch

Do you know what a slippery slope is? If they are allowed to get away with this, do you think that they'll stop at €7.65?
You are making the mistake of taking John Gormley seriously.

Edit: I would remind you that this man said to VB the other night that the reason he doesn't do his job properly is because (he thinks) the EU does it for him.

New Threads

Most Replies