• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

European Championships France 2016

Clanrickard

UEFA EURO 2016 - UEFA.com

Haven't seen a thread on this so I'll start. We are in better shape this time around and, being optimistic, we have a chance of exciting the group.:lol: I think we can beat Sweden and a couple of draws should see us through. Italy are not the force they were and Wilmots is frankly a disaster as Belgian manager. Overall hard to see past Germany to win with Spain possibly turning them over.

Skin the Goat

A chance of EXCITING the group???!!!

Betson

Don't really see why the optimism is justified , Sweden may not be great and Italy not the force they were but we are still the weakest team in the group.

First game is vital , lose that and it is a very uphill task from there with little likelihood of success, I am not saying we don't have a chance but realistically the other 3 teams have a better chance of coming out of the group than we have.

I think Walters and Long will be ok up front and will be difficult to play against , both capable of nicking a goal, but not sure where the creativity is going to come from Midfield and really unsure about how we are going to stack up defensively.

statsman

I'll be happy if we don't lose all our group games. :)

I'm a huge Robbie fan, but at this stage it might be best if he doesn't travel with us. He's past it, I'm afraid.

Sweden are Ibra and a rabble, Belgium are definitely less than the sum of their parts, and Italy are Italy, capable of getting to the final while playing terrible football.

My big concern is the tendency for us to switch off at the back and give away soft goals. We need to sort that out.

Mr. Bumble

I'm a huge Robbie fan, but at this stage it might be best if he doesn't travel with us. He's past it, I'm afraid.

Sweden are Ibra and a rabble, Belgium are definitely less than the sum of their parts, and Italy are Italy, capable of getting to the final while playing terrible football.

My big concern is the tendency for us to switch off at the back and give away soft goals. We need to sort that out.
I'm struggling. I know I should care but I've travelled (metaphorically) with Irish soccer too many times in hope rather than expectation. The hubris and 'party' atmosphere aside, we are a very ordinary and unexciting football team that will quite probably be exposed (again) for what we are. From that perspective, meh.

However, such a stance will preclude me from proving myself superior to other posters on all sporting matters, so I'll just have to hold my nose and comment profusely and sagely, as is my wont.

Holy Hand Grenade

Ireland have the nicest kits, both home and away, of the entire 24 team tournament. Unfortunately, I don't think they'll be around much more than the group stage to show them off.

Mind you, I'm struggling to recall such an ordinary looking Italian side, and Belgium might have some of Europe's best footballers (and elbows himself), but they seem to be losing players to injury every couple of days, and in Marc Wilmots they have a coach who seems to have the ability to get them playing much worse than they should, given the players at their disposal.
The first game against Sweden then is vital. get a win in that, anything is possible. Lose, and we're looking at Euro 2012 all over again.

For the competition as a whole, I think France, despite them losing half of their likely CBs in Sakho and Varane, are slight favourites. They have a very soft group, and a nice route to the final if they top said group. They also have some of the best attacking talent in the tournament. The egos of the last few campaigns (yes, you, mr Evra) have gone, and the squad seems to be a more harmonious group than any since 1998.

Germany will find it hard to replace Lahm. They've named Emre Can as a defender, and have experimented with him at RB. He's a fine footballer, but he's no RB. They'll be involved at the latter stages again.

England, regardless of who they pick to play, will be hamstrung by having the ultimate committee man making the calls. So expect to see Rooney trundle around up front, Vardy shunted out wide to accommodate him and when this doesn't work, Rooney shuffled back to central midfield, all red faced and puffy, to he delight of the opposition.

Holy Hand Grenade

Robbie is finished. However if we're in need of a goal, he's still a far likelier scorer than Shane Long.

But whatever of those two, I think ireland's most important front player will be Jonathan Walters. He's got a goal in him, sure, and his work rate is excellent. But he also gives us some quality needle, a gnarliness that can come in very handy in tournament football. Whoever is going to play left hand side for Sweden, Belgium and Italy is going to have to be ready for a fight.

Mr. Bumble

Robbie is finished. However if we're in need of a goal, he's still a far likelier scorer than Shane Long.

But whatever of those two, I think ireland's most important front player will be Jonathan Walters. He's got a goal in him, sure, and his work rate is excellent. But he also gives us some quality needle, a gnarliness that can come in very handy in tournament football. Whoever is going to play left hand side for Sweden, Belgium and Italy is going to have to be ready for a fight.
Unfortunately, that says it all about our participation in the Euros.

statsman

Robbie is irreplaceable, the best we've ever had in that position. We're going to miss him.

between the bridges

Pffft, Our Wee Country head to their first Euro's brimming with confidence, won the qualifying group, ten games unbeaten, great team spirit due to MoN, a viral chant Northern Ireland players sing 'Will Grigg's on fire' - BBC Sport and a nothing to lose attitude...

Feed The Fermanagh Wan

GAWA le Boom, GAWA le Boom Boom...

Clanrickard

Robbie is irreplaceable, the best we've ever had in that position. We're going to miss him.
We are. But as you say he is well past it. Long isn't bad as Irish CFs go.

Round tower

Don't really see why the optimism is justified , Sweden may not be great and Italy not the force they were but we are still the weakest team in the group.

First game is vital , lose that and it is a very uphill task from there with little likelihood of success, I am not saying we don't have a chance but realistically the other 3 teams have a better chance of coming out of the group than we have.

I think Walters and Long will be ok up front and will be difficult to play against , both capable of nicking a goal, but not sure where the creativity is going to come from Midfield and really unsure about how we are going to stack up defensively.
I think that we can get out of the group, beat Sweden and a draw against one of the other teams. It would have been better if we had italy first as they normally don't start tournaments well. If Keane and Given don't make the 23 man squad, i would bring them as extras as their experience will be very valuable. if its Arter, Meyler or Quinn i would pick Arter. There must be questions on McGeady who could not make the Sheffield Wed. squad for the play off final, he has fallen down the pecking order.

Warrior of Destiny

Predictions time!

Teams in bold to advance automatically

Group A

France
Switzerland
Romania
Albania

Group B

England
Russia
Wales
Slovakia

Group C

Germany
Poland
Ukraine
N. Ireland

Group D

Spain
Croatia
Turkey
Czech Republic

Group E

Belgium
Italy
Rep. of Ireland
Sweden

Group F

Austria
Portugal
Hungary
Iceland

Third place teams to advance

Turkey
Ukraine
Rep. of Ireland
Slovakia

Third Place: Germany

Runner up: Spain

Winner: France

EDIT: Darkhorse: Ukraine, their current political situation can be either a massive burden or a massive motivator. They could go on an inspired run, hopefully they don't meet Russia.

Last edited:

between the bridges

Predictions time!

Winner: Nat Brazil
Not sure if OWC will win their group because with two early victories MoN will probably play the B men against the Ze Jermans...

Mr. Bumble

Predictions time!

Teams in bold to advance automatically

Group A

France
Switzerland
Romania
Albania

Group B

England
Russia
Wales
Slovakia

Group C

Germany
Poland
Ukraine
N. Ireland

Group D

Spain
Croatia
Turkey
Czech Republic

Group E

Belgium
Italy
Rep. of Ireland
Sweden

Group F

Austria
Portugal
Hungary
Iceland

Third place teams to advance

Turkey
Ukraine
Rep. of Ireland
Slovakia

Third Place: Germany

Runner up: Spain

Winner: France

EDIT: Darkhorse: Ukraine, their current political situation can be either a massive burden or a massive motivator. They could go on an inspired run, hopefully they don't meet Russia.
Very good. Wouldn't argue with any of that.

Harmonica

Not optimistic about Ireland. If we are missing Shane Long at any stage we are done for. That said we should practice set pieces a lot as hard to see us scoring otherwise. Lot of out of form or unfit players expected in the squad too.

I am picking France as winner because not one else stands out & they are at home. Also they have some exciting young forwards.

Umbro jerseys are always terrible. Adidas make the best jerseys. The stripes on Ireland away jersey arms make it look cheap. Also jerseys should not have collars.

Every jersey

Spain away jersey :(

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies