• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

European Championships France 2016

O'Sullivan Bere

Does Portugal deserve to be this years Euro Champs? 3 draws in the group stages, beating Switzerland on penalties, than beating Poland on penalties in the QF, they finally managed to beat Wales in normal time in the semis.

They haven't really made their case.... yet....

Edit: portugal beat croatia aet and not switzerland on penalties
Agreed.

It's academically nice that Portugal with Ronaldo got their first Euro silverware. Once again though, they couldn't win in regulation. They stalemated every match but one in the tournament, drawing every match in group stage and requiring PKs or overtime in every knockout match but one.

They didn't deserve their championship and the format has much to review why that happened. The expanded qualifying teams is a cash cow for self evident reasons. Minnows did better than expected, especially Wales and Iceland. It did however contribute to crappier football by encouraging and rewarding playing for draws and undeserving performers slipping through to knockouts.

I put up a suggested fix earlier regarding stalemating your way through, and tightening advancement from group stage from an earned and quality perspective should be in order too.

johnnypockets

The team we love to hate won. That's football.

You were all looking forward to the penalties, weren't you?
I wanted an attacking masterclass from France. Never happened. I think the occasion got to some of them and I think others thought they didn't need to fight for it. Sissoko was the best player on the French team. That says alot.

johnnypockets

Agreed.

It's academically nice that Portugal with Ronaldo got their first Euro silverware. Once again though, they couldn't win in regulation. They stalemated every match but one in the tournament, drawing every match in group stage and requiring PKs or overtime in every knockout match but one.

They didn't deserve their championship and the format has much to review why that happened. The expanded qualifying teams is a cash cow for self evident reasons. Minnows did better than expected, especially Wales and Iceland. It did however contribute to crappier football by encouraging and rewarding playing for draws and undeserving performers slipping through to knockouts.

I put up a suggested fix earlier regarding stalemating your way through, and tightening advancement from group stage from an earned and quality perspective should be in order too.
So who did?

Extra

Italy or Wales.

Extra

Pogba 130m :p

caledhel

Well, a bit shocked by the result but overall it was a fantastic tournament full of drama and surprise. Good humour won out and the terrible shadow of fear was faced down. Teamwork, discipline and initiative triumphed throughout. France hosted the tournament magnificently and really do field a world class team. Congratulations to Portugal who showed real grit all through the tournament to finish champions. We had a great tournament too - which was nice.

Extra

Well, a bit shocked by the result but overall it was a fantastic tournament full of drama and surprise. Good humour won out and the terrible shadow of fear was faced down. Teamwork, discipline and initiative triumphed throughout. France hosted the tournament magnificently and really do field a world class team. Congratulations to Portugal who showed real grit all through the tournament to finish champions.
Thought it was a poor tournament technically but the smaller nations doing well kind of make up for that. Would have loved to see Wales win it as they played with their heart and their brains. Can't help but feel we really screwed up against France who where 100% there for the taking that day and we blew it.

danger here

Worst tournament in a long time. Can't think of any real standout moment apart from the Germany Italy penalty shoot-out (poor in itself) or maybe Iceland v England, though again the game itself was not a classic.

While I was half hoping France would do it or at least provide some drama in the last few minutes, it might take them down a peg or two. Thought both their fans and players (Griezmann in particular) were very smug in Lyon after they took the lead, considering they were 32 minutes away from getting knocked out of their own tournament by Robbie Brady, and their fans spent more time booing us than cheering their own team.

O'Sullivan Bere

They beat France with a very good goal. Knockout football does not end at 90 minutes.
Indeed it was a great goal...AET though yet again and drab defensive scoreless crap during regulation as their offence even in qualification IIRC was anaemic just like during the tournament itself. It never won a match outright except one against a weakened Wales (yellows).

If that was a minnow pulling off upsets in an open cup I would enjoy seeing that but not here with a nation like Portugal that can't deliver sufficient normal wins. Getting some draws or a loss is expected but not drawing in regulation virtually all the way through.

Last edited:

Dadaist

Indeed it was a great goal...AET though yet again and drab defensive scoreless crap during regulation as their offence even in qualification IIRC was anaemic just like during the tournament itself. It never won a match outright but one against a weakened Wales (yellows).

If that was minnow pulling off upsets in an open cup I would enjoy seeing that but not here with a nation like Portugal that can't deliver sufficient normal wins. Getting some draws or a loss is expected but not drawing in regulation all the way through.
It wasn't pretty, I agree. But they deserved to win the tournament.

Clanrickard

It wasn't pretty, I agree. But they deserved to win the tournament.
The team that wins deserves it. France didn't turn up.

ShawshankSean

The final was a hard match to watch.

France didn't take their chances in normal time, and paid for it in the end.

Looks like United are overpaying for yet another player.

Kante is available for 20 million or so.

statsman

God, that was like a visit to the dentist. And Pogba is not the new Zidane.

statsman

The final was a hard match to watch.

France didn't take their chances in normal time, and paid for it in the end.

Looks like United are overpaying for yet another player.

Kante is available for 20 million or so.
I hope Pogba sells a lot of shirts for them, because he look unlikely to win anything of any significance. (Actually, I hope he sells no shirts, too.)

Round tower

The team that wins deserves it. France didn't turn up.
Agree they had one plan from the start and that was to do Ronaldo and they succeeded with Payet, did not think he was that type of player. The old adage that u wont win if u dont take your chances, Griezmann had a great chance when he failed to connect properly with a header, the striker who came on should have done better with the shot that hit the post.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies