• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

European (dis)Union: The New Sick Man of Europe

YouKnowWhatIMeanLike

Greeks Consider Themselves To Be The Most Trustworthy, Least Arrogant And Most Compassionate Europeans

A new Pew Research Center study shows a strong and unscathed self-confidence among people in Greece. The Greek consider themselves as the most trustworthy, least arrogant and most compassionate Europeans. They of course consider the Germans the least trustworthy, most arrogant and least compassionate Europeans.

Overall the support for the European economic integration is now down over last year in five of the eight European Union countries surveyed by the Pew Research Center in 2013.

shoneen

A new Pew Research Center study shows a strong and unscathed self-confidence among people in Greece. The Greek consider themselves as the most trustworthy, least arrogant and most compassionate Europeans. They of course consider the Germans the least trustworthy, most arrogant and least compassionate Europeans.

Overall the support for the European economic integration is now down over last year in five of the eight European Union countries surveyed by the Pew Research Center in 2013.
You got to love the way the Italians consider the Italians to be the least trustworthy! :)

Clanrickard

Fair play to the Italians for their honesty.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Those poor Greeks. You have to believe me, and I really hate to say this, but they're wrong.

Picasso Republic

Nothing surprising in that report.

Sure don't the Irish consider themselves 'the friendliest' people in the universe, 'the most craic' anywhere in the galaxy and nobody else even comes close.

Everything you see in the Greek response (inability to see the bigger picture) could be applied to the Irish.

eoghanacht

I see the Brits are being their usual humble self.

As for the Greeks, I think I'm a great singer

YouKnowWhatIMeanLike

Since Pew is a Washington DC based think tank it would have been interesting to see how Americans consider these eight European Union countries.

YouKnowWhatIMeanLike

Last edited:
M

MrFunkyZombaloo

Yesterday the Pew Research centre released a piece entitled, "The New Sick Man of Europe: the European Union"

The European Union is the new sick man of Europe. The effort over the past half century to create a more united Europe is now the principal casualty of the euro crisis. The European project now stands in disrepute across much of Europe.
Surveys were conducted in 8 EU member states. Most notable among the research is the divergence of French and German opinion (considered the core of the EU) and also the unfavourable view that many of the member states where people were surveyed expressed in relation to the EU and economic integration - although support for the €uro currency remains relatively strong.

I invite P.iers to read the report, stats and graphs, and to comment.

Ren84

How long before D4 runs in with his Hitler pics? :?

Ren84

Oh, and a survey is precisely that: A survey. Opinions and attitudes of people on the street don't equate to real economic forecasts. Thus the headline from the American based Pew Research is quite frankly bollox!

Honecker

The collapse in support for the European project in both France and Spain is very interesting. European social democrats are quickly falling out of love with the EU (Although our own Labour Party are blindly committed to Brussels regardless of the cost)

Verhofstadt

Website
It's a very troubled project currently and the leadership in both Brussels and the respective member states does not give confidence that a healing solution will be found.

I fear the crisis will have to deepen before they'll see sense to co-operate and work towards a joint solution.

If they fail to do so I think dissolution of the union will be disastrous for the European economy in the mid-term.

A further fractured and fractious Europe is not the answer.

We simply have to find a way to make it work.. the alternatives for Ireland are simply not there... other than pulling down the border, re-joining the UK and have even less control over our future than we have now.

Happy days.

Old Irish

Like anything, people are in favour of something if it is going right for them but if things are going wrong for them then the fingers start pointing.
I personally think the open immigration has been devastating for Ireland because putting agriculture aside the only thing Ireland really had going for it was its tourism and now Ireland just looks like any other place in Europe.