European Parliament to propose Northern Ireland stays in single market

raetsel

Interesting report from the Independent. If true it poses common-sense problems for the UK

Brexit: European Parliament to propose Northern Ireland stays in single market | The Independent

It makes a lot of sense of course and would give NI the best of both worlds economically. But the DUP will oppose of course, even though it will be to our detriment that they reject such a unique privilege. Their British "cultural" traditions (bonfires, coat-trailing parades etc. ) that nobody in the rest of the UK remotely identifies with, must be preserved at all costs.
It also poses problems for Sinn Fein. If there was a good chance of bringing the Tory/DUP deal crashing down by taking seats at Westminster would they set aside their preciousness regarding their "republican principles" and take that moronic effing oath? With fingers crossed behind their backs as they rolled their eyes in disdain, for additional emphasis, would they have the guts to do it?
I fear we, the ordinary people are being f#cked over, by both sides.

runwiththewind

SF should only enter Westminister if it is near certain that their votes would bring down May and the DUP and secure special status. It got to be as big as that or something similar.

This is the solution, the Tories know it, the EU knows it, Dublin knows it and the DUP knows it.

The EU have offered the solution, will the Tories take it? If not, no trade talks. There will never be trade talks otherwise. The EU have the Tories by the curlies. What can the Tories do? Will they put it before Westminster and will SF take their seats.

This has just got interesting.

Last edited:

raetsel

SF should only enter Westminster if it is near certain that their votes would bring down May and the DUP and secure special status. It got to be as big a that or something similar.
Fair enough. That's your opinion, but why? The oath in itself isn't worth a bag of p1ss. Dennis Skinner has made that abundantly clear by his hilarious antics. I'd go further and turn up like a voting guerrilla force and sabotage the works at will.

ScoobyDoo

Interesting report from the Independent. If true it poses common-sense problems for the UK

Brexit: European Parliament to propose Northern Ireland stays in single market | The Independent

It makes a lot of sense of course and would give NI the best of both worlds economically. But the DUP will oppose of course, even though it will be to our detriment that they reject such a unique privilege. Their British "cultural" traditions (bonfires, coat-trailing parades etc. ) that nobody in the rest of the UK remotely identifies with, must be preserved at all costs.
It also poses problems for Sinn Fein. If there was a good chance of bringing the Tory/DUP deal crashing down by taking seats at Westminster would they set aside their preciousness regarding their "republican principles" and take that moronic effing oath? With fingers crossed behind their backs as they rolled their eyes in disdain, for additional emphasis, would they have the guts to do it?

Wow EU still trying to control UK despite them voting to leave

vivabrigada

SF swearing allegiance to the British crown?
Ffs

D

Deleted member 48908

Wow EU still trying to control UK despite them voting to leave
Jinkies!

Sounds like a Great Feckin Argument, Scoob.

And they woulda gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling Europarls!

Zoinks!

ScoobyDoo

Reminding its government of its obligations under the GFA, more like.
You all sound like Michel Barnier.

Of course the GFA agreement was written on the assumption of EU membership, however times change. The GFA just requires some simple amendments to allow for UK exiting the EU.

Of course the EU does not want to make it simple for that to happen, so keeps coming up with arguments like this it seems.

former wesleyan

It makes a lot of sense of course and would give NI the best of both worlds economically.
But the DUP will oppose of course
, even though it will be to our detriment that they reject such a unique privilege. Their British "cultural" traditions (bonfires, coat-trailing parades etc. ) that nobody in the rest of the UK remotely identifies with, must be preserved at all costs.
Well now Mystic Meg, how do you know that ? They may well do of course, but how do you know it's a given ?

CastleRay

Reminding its government of its obligations under the GFA, more like.
The GFA is very clear on constitutional position of NI. What the EU is doing is very much against the GFA. This is an international agreement between two current member states and the EU should have no play in this.

AhNowStop

Well now Mystic Meg, how do you know that ? They may well do of course, but how do you know it's a given ?
You're really not paying attention are you :roll: .... They have been extremely vocal in their insistence that "they would not countenance a sea border" or anything else which would make them "different" for GB ..

basically they'd rather cut off their nose to spite their face ....

btw, if they do a climb down now and dont oppose this (which, for all our sakes I sincerely hope they do) it will be to save face and nothing else..

AhNowStop

BTW, it would be nice to hear the views of sensible & pragmatic (unbigoted) unionists on this "sea border" option..

former wesleyan

You're really not paying attention are you :roll: .... They have been extremely vocal in their insistence that "they would not countenance a sea border" or anything else which would make them "different" for GB ..

basically they'd rather cut off their nose to spite their face ....

btw, if they do a climb down now and dont oppose this (which, for all our sakes I sincerely hope they do) it will be to save face and nothing else..
That's not what's being proposed though. And I'd have faith in the DUP's instincts follow the money more than any waffle about flegs and bonfires.

devonish

BTW, it would be nice to hear the views of sensible & pragmatic (unbigoted) unionists on this "sea border" option..
I would be happy with that solution so long as NI retains full access to the GB market.

raetsel

fFS, do keep up with the basics if you want to participate. Diane Dodds MEP was emphatic on this very point just the other day. Arlene Foster has also said it is unacceptable also. And, just like SF, the DUpers all sing from the same hymn sheet like Stepford wives, so unless King Solomon, Moses and Methuselah, all jump out at them in a collective dream and order them to change course, IT'S A GIVEN.

AhNowStop

That's not what's being proposed though. And I'd have faith in the DUP's instincts follow the money more than any waffle about flegs and bonfires.
What are you on about ?

Thats exactly whats being proposed .... did you actually read the article?

"The move, which would involve customs checks taking place at ports on the Irish sea, has the support of all major political groups"

ffs :roll:

AhNowStop

I would be happy with that solution so long as NI retains full access to the GB market.
Yes indeed, well that would have to be the case I would suspect... and it would be a great result for sure...

Will the crackpots accept it though? .. I mean it is the pragmatic & sensible option and if it does come to pass that this is offered we should take their feckin arm off .....
but what about the loonie tunes, do you think they will go for it or simply "cut all our noses off to spite their face" :?

If they do accept it now it will be a face saving exercise as they cant be happy but surely ta feck they will "see the light" at some stage :confused:

edit, btw, Newton Emmerson mentioned this "again" last night on the view .... no one else is mentioning it in NI or RoI politics/media though ? (unless ive missed it?)

AhNowStop

Yes indeed, well that would have to be the case I would suspect... and it would be a great result for sure...

Will the crackpots accept it though? .. I mean it is the pragmatic & sensible option and if it does come to pass that this is offered we should take their feckin arm off .....
but what about the loonie tunes, do you think they will go for it or simply "cut all our noses off to spite their face" :?

If they do accept it now it will be a face saving exercise as they cant be happy but surely ta feck they will "see the light" at some stage :confused:

edit, btw, Newton Emmerson mentioned this "again" last night on the view .... no one else is mentioning it in NI or RoI politics/media though ? (unless ive missed it?)
Take that back .. just seen it mentioned on front page of Belfast Tele...

Unionists are furious apparently .. ffs :roll:

Ó Ghabhainn

Take that back .. just seen it mentioned on front page of Belfast Tele...

Unionists are furious apparently .. ffs :roll:
Unionists should be happy. If they want to preserve the Union, they'll have to adapt.

The alternative would be counter-productive for Unionism. Unionists' attitude is counter-productive for Unionism.

New Threads

Most Replies