European view of the UK election

McSlaggart

"Yet another own goal, after Cameron now May, will make already complex negotiations even more complicated."

Guy Verhoftstadt, a Brexit negotiator in the European Parliament,

"Donald Tusk, the president of the European Council, issued a stern warning that a failure to push on with no negotiations within the two-year time frame would leave Britain without a deal.

EU attacks Theresa May's 'messy' situation as the world reacts to election chaos

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not think anyone has explained to the British the Northern European attitude to time keeping. They will not give extra time to the negotiations just because the UK cannot get organised.

GDPR

Lots of Portuguese working their behinds off in the UK, and contrary to the crocodile tears of Piesters on here, who find common cause with the little countries as brutal victims of EU tyranny, without knowing one thing about them, they want the UK to stay in Europe.

I could post loads from the Prensa, but this little article from a Portuguese resident with a vote in the UK GE sums it up:

Reino Unido - "Foi bom estragar os planos de May"

"It was great to scupper Mays plans."

Mad as Fish

"Yet another own goal, after Cameron now May, will make already complex negotiations even more complicated."

Guy Verhoftstadt, a Brexit negotiator in the European Parliament,

"Donald Tusk, the president of the European Council, issued a stern warning that a failure to push on with no negotiations within the two-year time frame would leave Britain without a deal.

EU attacks Theresa May's 'messy' situation as the world reacts to election chaos

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not think anyone has explained to the British the Northern European attitude to time keeping. They will not give extra time to the negotiations just because the UK cannot get organised.
Ya Vol herr Commandant.

Mad as Fish

Judging by Davidson's call for a pragmatic approach, I'd expect the Norway option to prevail by the time talks conclude, given the likelihood of cross-party consensus.
I'd go more for something along the lines of an Association Agreement myself, but yes, the whiff of fudge is in the air.

asset test

There will either be

WTO in ten years if lucky or...

SM access like Norway,

Or no Brexit at all.

I think we need to open a book on this now.

Funny that Brexit was not mentioned at all in the hustings. The killer blow was instead the dementia tax. Just shows.

darkhorse

Judging by Davidson's call for a pragmatic approach, I'd expect the Norway option to prevail by the time talks conclude, given the likelihood of cross-party consensus.
But then they will be paying just as much with no rebate, free movement, no passporting or services, no independant trade deals and no say in EU law which would remain binding in the UK.
A massive climbdown ...

GDPR

There will either be

SM access like Norway,

Or no Brexit at all.

Funny that Brexit was not mentioned at all in the hustings. The killer blow was instead the dementia tax. Just shows.
A dementia tax is exactly what BREXIT voters need.

Mad as Fish

There will either be

SM access like Norway,

Or no Brexit at all.

But on the other hand we have been reliably informed that -

There is no Brexit-Lite

But that was back in October, several aeons ago on the political timescale.

Ireniall

It's not impossible now that they've backed themselves into such a corner with time pressure being added to the disagreement and disorder. If it gets too difficult to negotiate a deal they may simply take the Norway option just to make the job smaller and faster and relieve the situation. It's incredible to watch. Their leadership is just cretinous and they may be heading to such a bad place that the fact that the Norway deal represents a massive defeat for the UK will simply be ignored and they'll take it before it gets worse.

Ireniall

But then they will be paying just as much with no rebate, free movement, no passporting or services, no independant trade deals and no say in EU law which would remain binding in the UK.
A massive climbdown ...
Totally laughable . But they're heading for the rocks so who knows. Jayses I hope they do. It would settle a lot of things safely.

Lord Deputy

But on the other hand we have been reliably informed that -

There is no Brexit-Lite

But that was back in October, several aeons ago on the political timescale.
Really?
German exports to the UK £80Billion P/A
German imports from the UK £32Billion

Germany is very much export orientated and they’re not going to put that in jeopardy.
There’s no contest here, it will be a case of ‘what can the EU do for Britain?’

darkhorse

Really?
German exports to the UK £80Billion P/A
German imports from the UK £32Billion

Germany is very much export orientated and they’re not going to put that in jeopardy.
There’s no contest here, it will be a case of ‘what can the EU do for Britain?’

Germany exports €1,200bn internationally and has a massive trade surplus
The trade difference with the UK is utterly insignificant
Besides, Brits will still be buying German goods anyway - it will just cost them more

Lord Deputy

Germany exports €1,200bn internationally and has a massive trade surplus
The trade difference with the UK is utterly insignificant
Besides, Brits will still be buying German goods anyway - it will just cost them more
That will not continue for ever, Trump is not happy with the current huge German/US trade imbalance and he may pose major problems for Germany if he gets his way re import tariffs.
Germany will avoid playing hard-ball in any negotiations re trade, they have more to lose.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies