Eurovision 2018

shoneen

Meh! A bit on the bland and inoffensive side, no? Can't imagine it doing well.

Why not going for something really cool and cutting edge? Might as well die with your boots on.

*btw - I have no idea what's cool and cutting edge but I presume this song isn't*

blokesbloke

A whinge-fest about someone cheating on him? Bit depresssing...

fifilawe

We should organize a petition to bring back Dustin and if that fails how about old Bosco!

Lagertha

I like Eurovision, it's great craic watching all the lunacy. Just eat drink and laugh your way through it, can't beat Graham Norton's coverage, I'd never watch it on RTE. So long as nobody is expecting Ireland to do well they won't be disappointed.

Lagertha

[VIDEO]

I wouldn't worry about it, I haven't looked at the Irish entry, but we probably won't make it through. The past few years have been woeful. It's just a bit of fun, anyway, we can't afford to host it, there's better things to spend the money on. Putin makes me laugh, his bare chested bare back horse riding photos couldn't look any gayer.[/video]

bokuden

A whinge-fest about someone cheating on him? Bit depresssing...
The irish love whingey sh1te mopey self obsessed music. It's even used on mortgage ads!

blokesbloke

I wouldn't worry about it, I haven't looked at the Irish entry, but we probably won't make it through. The past few years have been woeful. It's just a bit of fun, anyway, we can't afford to host it, there's better things to spend the money on. Putin makes me laugh, his bare chested bare back horse riding photos couldn't look any gayer.
Surely RTE can afford to host it? They get taxpayers money and commercial income and its pays its stars an incredible amount.

Good for tourism too - Dublin would be flooded with free-spending poofters from all over Europe. RTE should give something back and it would boost the economy a bit.

Ah for the days when Father Ted could joke about the impossibility of Ireland not winning, giving Mrs. Doyle hysterics!

blokesbloke

Next year you need someone with a lovely voice. Joan Burton singing "I Did It My Way"?

The Field Marshal

Next year you need someone with a lovely voice. Joan Burton singing "I Did It My Way"?
No, no.
This is Burtons song

“I want to break free” Queen.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Mc-NYPHaQ[/video]

livingstone

Caught up with the clips of this from the LLS. It's a perfectly inoffensive song that will probably come in the bottom two or three of the semi final. It wouldn't have a chance of qualifying in most circumstances, but the first semi final is also by far the strongest - 7 of the top 10 bookies favourites are in the first semi.

Of course RTE has been doing this dance for years - either they actively don't want to win, or are simply too incompetent to do anything that might boost the chances of winning.

And some of that probably does come from the hangover of the mid nineties where it did genuinely become a financial burden. But the costs of hosting are far outweighed by the benefits. When Ireland hosted Eurovision, it was one night in April or May. Sure, delegations - maybe 200 or 300 people - had to be around for maybe up to a week but the event itself was a one night thing.

It attracted visitors but nothing compared to now. Now it attracted tens of thousands of visitors to host cities, who spend millions of euro over a two week period. That, in itself, offsets the hosting costs in most cases.

Beyond that, of course, any major international event has costs but those costs, in themselves, create jobs and economic activity. E15m spent hosting Eurovision for the most part is E15m going back to local contractors etc.

And beyond all of that, Eurovision is now a 7 or 8 hour global broadcasting opportunity, with more than 200m viewers. That's almost twice the levels of the superbowl. When you consider how much of that 7/8 hours can be spent promoting the host country - whether its tourist sector, entertainment and culture sector, AV and broadcasting sector etc - and compare that against the cost of advertising to 200m, the value is staggering. 30 seconds of advertising on the superbowl costs $4.5m. Let's say over the 7 or 8 hours of Eurovision broadcasting, the host uses only 30 minutes to promote host country sectors in various ways - that is still an advertising value of more $270m when compared against the super bowl (and of course given the higher audience figures, probably more).

So RTE's failure - deliberate or not - to take it seriously and try to win is extremely stupid.

Lúidín

The non-binary snake dancers with the dudelsacks have it sewn up. The flame and sword dancing is spectacular and their non-binary number is going to be hard to beat.

livingstone

The non-binary snake dancers with the dudelsacks have it sewn up. The flame and sword dancing is spectacular and their non-binary number is going to be hard to beat.
Nope - seems Israel's this years favourite though that often changes by the time of the event.

Narry a dudelsack to be found.

amist4

Caught up with the clips of this from the LLS. It's a perfectly inoffensive song that will probably come in the bottom two or three of the semi final. It wouldn't have a chance of qualifying in most circumstances, but the first semi final is also by far the strongest - 7 of the top 10 bookies favourites are in the first semi.

Of course RTE has been doing this dance for years - either they actively don't want to win, or are simply too incompetent to do anything that might boost the chances of winning.

And some of that probably does come from the hangover of the mid nineties where it did genuinely become a financial burden. But the costs of hosting are far outweighed by the benefits. When Ireland hosted Eurovision, it was one night in April or May. Sure, delegations - maybe 200 or 300 people - had to be around for maybe up to a week but the event itself was a one night thing.

It attracted visitors but nothing compared to now. Now it attracted tens of thousands of visitors to host cities, who spend millions of euro over a two week period. That, in itself, offsets the hosting costs in most cases.

Beyond that, of course, any major international event has costs but those costs, in themselves, create jobs and economic activity. E15m spent hosting Eurovision for the most part is E15m going back to local contractors etc.

And beyond all of that, Eurovision is now a 7 or 8 hour global broadcasting opportunity, with more than 200m viewers. That's almost twice the levels of the superbowl. When you consider how much of that 7/8 hours can be spent promoting the host country - whether its tourist sector, entertainment and culture sector, AV and broadcasting sector etc - and compare that against the cost of advertising to 200m, the value is staggering. 30 seconds of advertising on the superbowl costs $4.5m. Let's say over the 7 or 8 hours of Eurovision broadcasting, the host uses only 30 minutes to promote host country sectors in various ways - that is still an advertising value of more $270m when compared against the super bowl (and of course given the higher audience figures, probably more).

So RTE's failure - deliberate or not - to take it seriously and try to win is extremely stupid.
So, how exactly does RTE cash in on visitors staying in hotels and spending money downtown for example?

Does the host country dictate advertising rates? Do your seriously think the advertising is not varied by region?

You would have to be financially illiterate to expect an organization not to have some concept of direct financial returns of any project and act accordingly.

Bertie's Hat

The song is poor but not as bad as some previous Irish entries in recent years.

I remember him from BGT and The Voice of Ireland and found him a little arrogant, he said to the judges on BGT that he was on The Voice and that "they got rid of me" making it sound like the judges eliminated him, in fact he was eliminated by low public votes

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

New Threads

Most Replies