Evening Echo - quoting unnamed Minister "Budget will not pass"

TradCat

Just reading it. "The Minister's view was that Independent TDs and Independents interested in being re-elected would vote against the budget"

The thing to remember is to beat the rush. Nobody will get credit for being the 10th to declare. You might even be mistaken for a shameless bandwagon jumper at that stage. Go early.

Casillas

Maybe the government can't fund every wacko project being demanded by backbenchers and independents to secure support for the budget.

Hope springs eternal.

Broke

Dick Brazil in tonights Evening Echo has a story quoting an unnamed Fianna Fail minister as telling bacbenchers that the budget will not pass and to prepare for an election at the begining of January.

apologies for lack of link but its there on page 2

Brazil normally has excellent FF sources
I hope the budget does not pass,so we can have a election.If the Labour party get elected they might spread the cuts more even.They are saying they will cut tax breaks for the rich such as pension tax break.They will hit the rich with higher taxes so the less well of can take a smaller hit in the budget.

TradCat

Can the Greens risk being left carrying the can for a failed and unpopular budget while the Jackie Healy Rae's of this world walk away.

callmedave

How it didn't make the front page is beyond me. It seems like a credible story. Seems like they are starting to fly the kites to see which option causes the least anger in the long run.
Can't stick the idea of canvassing over the Christmas though.

Simbo67

Can the Greens risk being left carrying the can for a failed and unpopular budget while the Jackie Healy Rae's of this world walk away.
I've said this a dozen times on this site but the greens HAVE to be the one to pull the plug. If they are sitting there around the cabinet table while the likes of Michael Lowery pulls the whole edifice down, they are certain of political death. If they pull it down and cling to some moral high ground, they might, just might, come back with one or two.

truthisfree

Just reading it. "The Minister's view was that Independent TDs and Independents interested in being re-elected would vote against the budget"

The thing to remember is to beat the rush. Nobody will get credit for being the 10th to declare. You might even be mistaken for a shameless bandwagon jumper at that stage. Go early.
Have to admit, that's good . . . :):)

robut

Minister says Budget will be defeated | Evening Echo

"Senior Government Ministers were told privately yesterday to expect a vote defeat on the Budget.

One Minister, who asked not be named, said there would be a General Election a very short time after Christmas.

The Minister’s view was that dissident Fianna Fáil TDs and Independents interested in being re-elected would vote against the Budget.

The Government disclosure yesterday of even further billions being sought in the early December Budget has been the ‘final straw’ for some dissident TDs and Independents.

The Minister also predicted that Brian Cowen would be gone by late February, with Brian Lenihan the public and bookies’ favourite to get the job.

Independents like Jackie Healy Rae, whose son will be a candidate in the next election, simply cannot afford to back a budget that hits the less well off.

Michael Lowry is another who is predicted to vote ‘No’.
"

Robut

disgruntledcitizen

I hope the budget does not pass,so we can have a election.If the Labour party get elected they might spread the cuts more even.They are saying they will cut tax breaks for the rich such as pension tax break.They will hit the rich with higher taxes so the less well of can take a smaller hit in the budget.
yes cos only rich people have pensions :roll::roll:

usual Labour populist boll1x (Gilmore is just Bertie with a red tie imho)

Simbo67

How it didn't make the front page is beyond me. It seems like a credible story. Seems like they are starting to fly the kites to see which option causes the least anger in the long run.
Can't stick the idea of canvassing over the Christmas though.
If that happens, I may have to extend my Christmas holidays...

sport02

Makes sense, if according to the Greens, we are to have the other bi-elections early march, that is infact a general election.
What FF backbenchers or independents want to vote in a six billion budget, knowing they will face the electorate a few months later.
Why not face the Irish electorate, saying they don't support the cuts.

callmedave

No... they have to be the ones to pull the plug on a point of principle... oh wait :roll:

breakingnews

If the government falls after the budget (which it won't) but anyway..they will presumably postpone the election campaigning until January.

Anorakphobia

Yep
Oppurtunistic me feiners like Mc Guinness and Mahhie Mc Grath will throw a fit of fake indignation and there will be a stampede after that (watch Lowry and Healy Rae suddenly develop a previously unseen ethical streak immediately).

The Greens will be crucified, their worst nightmare is evolving.
Being seen to be still standing supporting the worst FF government ever when even FF's own gombeen men cannot stomach it any longer.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies