Every Breath You Take.....

• Thread starter Deleted member 48908
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 48908

[video=youtube;OMOGaugKpzs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOGaugKpzs[/video]

Most of us are aware that there are different expectations of privacy on the web. For example, we are confident that banking/bill paying stuff is at a higher security level than say, what we might voluntarily post on Twitter/FB/Instapinteresnapchat.

With me so far? Has anyone seen the show, Person of Interest? The first two seasons were very good, after that, not so much. The premise was/is that a supercomputer combined with certain algorithms can mine everyone's online activity and point out "persons of interest", be they victims or perpetrators.

Well, some clever coders got together and formed a wee data mining startup called Geofeedia. From their own website:

Our location-based intelligence platform enables hundreds of organizations around the world to predict, analyze, and act based on real-time social media signal.
Interesting stuff, and if it does what it says on the tin, quite powerful.

Turns out, that I'm not the only one who thinks so. It seems that the guys over at Langley took some notice of these geeks and decided to have a punt on them:

https://theintercept.com/2016/04/14/in-undisclosed-cia-investments-social-media-mining-looms-large/

With taxpayers money. Fine and dandy, really, because those spooks are the good guys and are surely only going to ever use this tech to hunt down the head hacking, suicide vest wearing, nightclub shooting up, truck driving nutters in Al Qaeda/Nusra/ISIS/L/Daesh, right?

Guess what, though? Geopeedia also went after the average Joe Protester, whether (s)he was part of the BLM movement or just complaining about the food in the cafeteria at Berkeley.

https://www.aclunc.org/blog/facebook-instagram-and-twitter-provided-data-access-surveillance-product-marketed-target

Be careful out there folks.

[video=youtube;7YvAYIJSSZY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YvAYIJSSZY[/video]

Hat tip to jmcc

Socratus O' Pericles

Protest types are being monitored by Langley?

Don't Free The Fermanagh Wan, keep him banged to rights.

Rural

I've seen the programme and although I like stories like that, this one does nothing for me, I liked The Net and Enemy of the State, which were also about "Every Move You Make...".

It's a reality and unfortunately I have no answer as regards how to stay completely anonymous these days except to remain completely uninteresting so no-one would be bothered looking.

Re your thread title - Big breath - And I'm only theventeen!:)

GDPR

With taxpayers money. Fine and dandy, really, because those spooks are the good guys and are surely only going to ever use this tech to hunt down the head hacking, suicide vest wearing, nightclub shooting up, truck driving nutters in Al Qaeda/Nusra/ISIS/L/Daesh, right?

Guess what, though? Geopeedia also went after the average Joe Protester, whether (s)he was part of the BLM movement or just complaining about the food in the cafeteria at Berkeley.

https://www.aclunc.org/blog/facebook-instagram-and-twitter-provided-data-access-surveillance-product-marketed-target

Good enough for them. Whingy f*ckers.

statsman

[video=youtube;OMOGaugKpzs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOGaugKpzs[/video]

Most of us are aware that there are different expectations of privacy on the web. For example, we are confident that banking/bill paying stuff is at a higher security level than say, what we might voluntarily post on Twitter/FB/Instapinteresnapchat.

With me so far? Has anyone seen the show, Person of Interest? The first two seasons were very good, after that, not so much. The premise was/is that a supercomputer combined with certain algorithms can mine everyone's online activity and point out "persons of interest", be they victims or perpetrators.

Well, some clever coders got together and formed a wee data mining startup called Geofeedia. From their own website:

Interesting stuff, and if it does what it says on the tin, quite powerful.

Turns out, that I'm not the only one who thinks so. It seems that the guys over at Langley took some notice of these geeks and decided to have a punt on them:

https://theintercept.com/2016/04/14/in-undisclosed-cia-investments-social-media-mining-looms-large/

[video=youtube;7YvAYIJSSZY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YvAYIJSSZY[/video]

Hat tip to jmcc
Does anyone actually find any of this in any way surprising? The Internet is Guy Debord being justified.

Socratus O' Pericles

Reggae Head

Reggae Head

Doctors inject me
Police arrest me
Dem electric shock me
But dat nar stop me,
Oooh
Dem can't get de Reggae out me head.

Dem tek me to a station
Put me on probation,
But I still a dance
Wid de original nation,
Oooh

Dem sey,
Obey yu masta,
Stop talk Rasta,
But I tek a dub
An juss rock a little fasta,
Noooo

Dem sey
Bad bowy, stop it,
Dem put money in me pocket
Riddim wise I drop it
An rock it Reggaematic,
Got it

Dem put
Pill an potions ina me
Dem put
Sum weird notion ina me
Dem put
Fire water ina me
Wan time dem try fe slaughter me,
But I thrive on electricity
Dem tings stimulate I mentally
Now dem calling me de enemy
Cause de reggae roots deep ina me.
Experts debate me
Pop charts
Hate me,
De BNP want to
Annihilate me,
Oooh

Critics curse
Psychiatrists wail,
Cadburys
Lock me up in jail,
Still

Computers study me
Commuters worry me
But dem can't hurry me
Or do me injury,
No

Videos are watching me
But dat is not stopping me
Let dem cum wid dem authority
An dem science and technology,
Oooh
Dem can't get the reggae out my head

BENJAMIN ZEPHANIAH

former wesleyan

Linky no worky.

The wonders of tech.

statsman

I love Big Brother.
Those who denounce the absurdity or the perils of incitement to waste in the society of economic abundance do not understand the purpose of waste. They condemn with ingratitude, in the name of economic rationality, the good irrational guardians without whom the power of this economic rationality would collapse. For example, Boorstin, in L’Image, describes the commercial consumption of the American spectacle but never reaches the concept of spectacle because he thinks he can exempt private life, or the notion of “the honest commodity,” from this disastrous exaggeration. He does not understand that the commodity itself made the laws whose “honest” application leads to the distinct reality of private life and to its subsequent reconquest by the social consumption of images

Mr. Bumble

[video=youtube;xxFj4iNmsJE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxFj4iNmsJE[/video]

I'll link later to a presentation on Data Analytics I watched recently.

The CEO of a firm in that business opened up with his daily routine; his alarm call was his favourite radio station (a hint at his demographic group), the news sites further gave hints, the GPS showed his route to work, along which he was surveilled by 30+ cameras. The day continued much in that vein.

He spoke of this with enthusiasm.

We yield our personal data with barely a struggle.

There's a story dating back a few years relating to a girl who shopped at Target using her store card. Of course, they would send through the mail special offers tailored to her purchasing pattern. One day she received offers for baby products. They knew she was pregnant purely from her purchases. It doesn't mean that she was buying specifically pregnancy products. The fact that she had ceased buying tampons would be a clue. Perhaps she's ceased buying other rpoducts not recommended during pregnancy. Maybe she's bought a pregnancy test and subsequently bought folic acid.

The point is that this form of forensic analysis is performed routinely on the data we provide. That form od analytics is only going to grow.

How Target Knew a High School Girl Was Pregnant Before Her Parents Did | TIME.com

It's sinister.

An aside. Here's a very basic and early example of data analytics. It concerned the manager of IT Operations in a large company where I worked. One of the teams under her control was the key punch team. Back in the day, data was entered manually from forms by the team. One of the reports which landed on the manager's desk was the number of keystrokes enetered by each member of the team broken down on a daily basis. This to me was a dreadful and cruel piece of data to harvest. Whatever, when I was taking over from the manager while she was going on maternity leave, she talked me through the various reports she got. When it came to the keystrokes report she told me that aside from the throughput of each of the girls on the team it also revealed precisely when they were menstruating.

D

Deleted member 34656

Did the manager have cameras in the jacks, or something?

I thought that was illegal.

Socratus O' Pericles

I'll link later to a presentation on Data Analytics I watched recently.

The CEO of a firm in that business opened up with his daily routine; his alarm call was his favourite radio station (a hint at his demographic group), the news sites further gave hints, the GPS showed his route to work, along which he was surveilled by 30+ cameras. The day continued much in that vein.

He spoke of this with enthusiasm.

We yield our personal data with barely a struggle.

There's a story dating back a few years relating to a girl who shopped at Target using her store card. Of course, they would send through the mail special offers tailored to her purchasing pattern. One day she received offers for baby products. They knew she was pregnant purely from her purchases. It doesn't mean that she was buying specifically pregnancy products. The fact that she had ceased buying tampons would be a clue. Perhaps she's ceased buying other rpoducts not recommended during pregnancy. Maybe she's bought a pregnancy test and subsequently bought folic acid.

The point is that this form of forensic analysis is performed routinely on the data we provide. That form od analytics is only going to grow.

How Target Knew a High School Girl Was Pregnant Before Her Parents Did | TIME.com

It's sinister.

An aside. Here's a very basic and early example of data analytics. It concerned the manager of IT Operations in a large company where I worked. One of the teams under her control was the key punch team. Back in the day, data was entered manually from forms by the team. One of the reports which landed on the manager's desk was the number of keystrokes enetered by each member of the team broken down on a daily basis. This to me was a dreadful and cruel piece of data to harvest. Whatever, when I was taking over from the manager while she was going on maternity leave, she talked me through the various reports she got. When it came to the keystrokes report she told me that aside from the throughput of each of the girls on the team it also revealed precisely when they were menstruating.
All business is sinister Des. The first thing they teach at MBA school is the law of competitive advantage. Do it to them before they do it to you.If there's competitive advantage to be gained someone out there is thinking of it--be that person.

Opening cigarette shops beside primary schools, making children work 12 hours a day in sweatshops, bitching about tax and the excessive costs of public services,falsifying emissions data,placing profit before health and on and on. Harvesting shopping trends is small beer in the world of sinister business practices.

Did the manager have cameras in the jacks, or something?

I thought that was illegal.
One of the reports generated a crude moving average view of each individual's productivity. A regular dip on roughly a monthly basis was present in each one. While I managed the team I ordered that these reports not be produced any longer.

D

Deleted member 34656

One of the reports generated a crude moving average view of each individual's productivity. A regular dip on roughly a monthly basis was present in each one. While I managed the team I ordered that these reports not be produced any longer.
So there was no corroborating evidence that the dip occurred during menstruation.

All business is sinister Des. The first thing they teach at MBA school is the law of competitive advantage. Do it to them before they do it to you.If there's competitive advantage to be gained someone out there is thinking of it--be that person.

Opening cigarette shops beside primary schools, making children work 12 hours a day in sweatshops, bitching about tax and the excessive costs of public services,falsifying emissions data,placing profit before health and on and on. Harvesting shopping trends is small beer in the world of sinister business practices.
It's not so much the harvesting of trends - it's the very deliberate and sophisticated intrusion. OK, it's all being done by non-human means, so nobody in Target necessarily knew of this girl's pregnancy - the mailshots are all produced automatically - but an interested person could get at that data. That data is also being sold.

An interesting coda to the tale about Target: the girl was a schoolgirl, and when her father saw promotions for baby items arriving he contacted Target to complain. They told him that their algorithms indicated that she was pregnant. He confronted her. She was.

So there was no corroborating evidence that the dip occurred during menstruation.
With data analytics you have to use deduction. It's not a perfect tool, but with sufficiently large datasets its predictive or explanatory power becomes more refined.

In the case of the key punch operators, a consistently regular pattern of that type - displayed by all 60 of them - very strongly hinted at that explanation. But, no, of course nobody could establish 100% correlation. Unless they asked. My predecessor didn't ask, but was told. The reports were used in order to upbraid those operators who had performed badly in the previous week. Their excuse that they were menstruating meant that their patterns were monitored.

I told you that the reports were dreadful things, didn't I?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies