Every household to get new smart electricity meter by 2024

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
€1.2bn plan for smart gas and electricity meters to be installed in every household - Independent.ie

On the face of it, great news. It'll cost €5.50 per household per year, but it'll make it much easier to control and modify consumption to save much more than the initial investment within a month or two. It'll make the task of reading meters far more cost effective too, thus reducing costs to public-owned ESB.

Three questions:

What are the data protection concerns? How serious are they?

Will the meters they choose to install be the most cutting-edge technology available? Will they exhaust the full potential of the current state of the art?

How will the tin-foil hat brigade respond?

Wascurito

Someone will find some reason to hate this.

tigerben

Is there a company going cheap that the government and banks favourite business man can buy and get the contract !

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Is there a company going cheap that the government and banks favourite business man can buy and get the contract !
Good question. i'm inclined to guess that the ESB will be using their own staff and/or independent contractors to do the work. I hope that's how they're doing it.

Sync

Makes a huge amount of sense. I’ve used this as a customer in other countries, it’s been massively helpful in driving more responsible energy use.

freewillie

When is Murphy and scum holding the anti meter meeting?

ShoutingIsLeadership

Makes a huge amount of sense. I’ve used this as a customer in other countries, it’s been massively helpful in driving more responsible energy use.

Really? "Children/wifey, the meter says that tv is using x power, the shower is using Y power..."

"There he goes, again..."

Wascurito

Are we the pioneers in this bullshít? How many other EEC countries have these smart meters and how many will be installing them?
I don't know what the EEC is. Why is it BS? And what does it matter how many other countries are installing them - if it makes people's lives easier?

ShoutingIsLeadership

You need to look at your parenting/ husbands style.petunia

That was the polite version!

Seriously, do we need a meter to tell us that turning electricity on costs money? "Wifey/children, if we turn all of these devices off, we could save 15 euros this year"

Wascurito

That was the polite version!

Seriously, do we need a meter to tell us that turning electricity on costs money? "Wifey/children, if we turn all of these devices off, we could save 15 euros this year"
Indeed. Why do supermarkets price things individually? Duh....everyone knows food costs money and if we want to save money, we can just stop eating.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Customers. It'll make it easier to monitor usage and expenditure and adjust accordingly. TBH, there'd be more reason to complain if Electricity Ireland weren't doing this.

How do customers benefit? There's the potential for a 30 cent a week saving, it seems. Why does live data need to be sent?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies