Every single Irish text composed between 1600 and 1926 has been put online.

Cellachán Chaisil

Perhaps of value to but a few, but every single Irish text composed between 1600 and 1926 has now been put online as part of the Royal Irish Academy's Corpas Stairiúil na Gaeilge project. It's eventually intended that this corpus will be used as a basis for the future Foclóir Stairiúil na NuaGhaeilge. The corpus itself is searchable, so it can be used to find individual words and determine their first appearances. The corpus contains 4,902 complete texts and 19 million words, including late bardic poetry, romances, diaries (such as that of Toirdhealbhach Ó Meallán who accompanied Eoghan Rua Ó Néill on his campaigns in Ireland), songs and the literature of the revival. This is a fantastic job of work and of great importance to anyone with an interest in history, language and historic literature.

Cartlann Téacsanna

Corpas

Last edited:
Reactions: DJP

firefly123

I didn't even know they had mobiles back then. Impressive work lads! ;)

Cellachán Chaisil

I fear we aren't taking this thread seriously.

Good work historians!
Linguists.

May be possible some historians are realising that they had many more sources than they first suspected.

Sync

I fear we aren't taking this thread seriously.

Good work historians!
Yeah it's a good thing. This is the sort of thing govt culture money should be going towards.

McTell

Twitter
No
Gaeilge, that was spelt Gaedilge just a cupla decades ago....

Partition of Ireland guaranteed by the language policy - discuss.

Cellachán Chaisil

Gaeilge, that was spelt Gaedilge just a cupla decades ago....

Partition of Ireland guaranteed by the language policy - discuss.

No.

Accidental sock

I didn't even know they had mobiles back then. Impressive work lads! ;)
Thanks be to Jaysus they didn't have Snapchat. #downwiffthekidsinnit

Travis Bickle

Perhaps of value to but a few, but every single Irish text composed between 1600 and 1926 has now been put online as part of the Royal Irish Academy's Corpas Stairiúil na Gaeilge project. It's eventually intended that this corpus will be used as a basis for the future Foclóir Stairiúil na NuaGhaeilge. The corpus itself is searchable, so it can be used to find individual words and determine their first appearances. The corpus contains 4,902 complete texts and 19 million words, including late bardic poetry, romances, diaries (such as that of Toirdhealbhach Ó Meallán who accompanied Eoghan Rua Ó Néill on his campaigns in Ireland), songs and the literature of the revival. This is a fantastic job of work and of great importance to anyone with an interest in history, language and historic literature.

Cartlann Téacsanna

Corpas
How many versions of Peig do we really need?

Mushroom

The word search facility is great!

Amusing to find a reference to the "whore of babylon" - bejaysus but them celtic scholars were an intelligent bunch!

"Ach gurb í striapach mór na Babilóine í."

Cellachán Chaisil

Cellachán Chaisil

Because Gaeilge was never spelt Gaedilge?

It wasn't

Before the spelling reforce it was Gaoidhealg or Gaedhilge.

And no, Irish had nothing to do with reinforcing partition.

Fritzbox

...but every single Irish text composed between 1600 and 1926 has now been put online
I was confused there for a moment - you mean every single 'Irish language text' surely?

Interesting project.

Cellachán Chaisil

I was confused there for a moment - you mean every single 'Irish language text' surely?

Interesting project.
For the majority of the period covered by the corpas, that would have been assumed :)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies