Everyone okay with AGS giving themselves a free pass on the breadth test debacle?

carlovian

Good day to announce the decision, wasnt even noticed.

Government released the record homeless figures on Wednesday as
the Fitzgerald crisis developed.

No-one even noticed.

an innocent abroad

How would members of a police force falsifying results be dealt with in any other country?
It should be dealt with the same way if you or I made a false report which endangered a persons liberty.
But even more, given the authority the force has over the lives of the ordinary citizens.

Disillusioned democrat

Feehily nothing will happen.

But if they do it again there will be hell to pay..

Christ!
On the 9 o'clock news last night she had the balls to say how people had "huge respect" for the Gardai...I'm not sure what planet she's living on, but 90% of the people I meet every day have serious doubts about the boys in blue and sweeping 2m fake tests under the carpet isn't going to improve that.

wexfordman

People died as a result of this, so no, not happy.

Poor enforecemt, lack of enforcement or fraudulent reporting costs lives.

Orbit v2

Someone off the policing board was talking about it this morning. The way she was talking it could easily happen again. Just a load of waffle about "performance management". It's precisely due to the paper-work around such "performance management" that this happened. They wanted to inflate the figures because they knew they were being measured against it. Unless they actively go out there and audit stuff like this regularly, then it will happen again. Was that Josephine Feehily? She didn't sound on top of it at all.

paulp

What is it about a certain so-called "professional" class in this country where ethics, honesty, accountability are non existing and are purely motivated by sheer greed
I suppose as house prices went up, they needed to retain the ability to buy a house with a years salary

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Someone off the policing board was talking about it this morning. The way she was talking it could easily happen again. Just a load of waffle about "performance management". It's precisely due to the paper-work around such "performance management" that this happened. They wanted to inflate the figures because they knew they were being measured against it. Unless they actively go out there and audit stuff like this regularly, then it will happen again. Was that Josephine Feehily? She didn't sound on top of it at all.
At best, it's ongoing theft from the taxpayer, organized and perpetuated at top management level.

paulp

paulp

Have yet to see a metric placed on an organisation or individual that doesn't lead to some dysfunctional behavior somewhere.

Why were they being measured on it?
(note: Being measured on it and recording the data are 2 different things)

paulp

On the 9 o'clock news last night she had the balls to say how people had "huge respect" for the Gardai...I'm not sure what planet she's living on, but 90% of the people I meet every day have serious doubts about the boys in blue and sweeping 2m fake tests under the carpet isn't going to improve that.
are many of them consultants?

enuffisenuff

I don’t think as a country we get much right. Health , housing , banking , policing , roads , water ect ect ect ect ect ect ect ect ect ect ect ect ect .... We are like a third world country masquerading as a first world country. Every one believes in excuses like , advice giving , misremembered, can’t remember, it wasn’t me , reports , tribunals . No one is held responsible. We are so use to it that we expect it as norm now. This lack of responsibility has steeped into everything. But it’s seems to be part of our “culture”. I’m sure Simon Harris , AGS , Ross over stepside are all happy with Frances Fitzgerald at the moment . It’s taking the heat off them at the moment .
on the nail

Orbit v2

Have yet to see a metric placed on an organisation or individual that doesn't lead to some dysfunctional behavior somewhere.

Why were they being measured on it?
(note: Being measured on it and recording the data are 2 different things)
I don't disagree. I doubt there was hard or fast rules, but someone was set a target of X breath tests, and that filtered down the ranks.

I think there is a cultural problem in this country (not just the guards) that says it's okay to fake data, because it's not seen as important as "the work itself". So, I'm not sure about metrics being applied to people, but I believe data should be accurate and should be audited.

paulp

I don't disagree. I doubt there was hard or fast rules, but someone was set a target of X breath tests, and that filtered down the ranks.

I think there is a cultural problem in this country (not just the guards) that says it's okay to fake data, because it's not seen as important as "the work itself". So, I'm not sure about metrics being applied to people, but I believe data should be accurate and should be audited.
Absolutely data should be accurate.
But when you start evaluating people based on the data you are asking them to record (or that they can easily manipulate), well then, expect them to manipulate it.

So, then you have to ask yourself, why do I want the data, what is the purpose.
Is it
A. So I can evaluate the performance of divisions, officers, individual gardai
or
B. So I can see how our overall road safety strategy is operating and the correlation between roadside tests and fatality numbers

Once you say 'both', well, accept that you are compromising B.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom