• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Evictions In Ireland Then & Now

YouKnowWhatIMeanLike

People get really taken aback when they describe the current mortgage crisis and the prospect of widespread evictions in Ireland in the media. But how similar are the events? How does the possible repossession of a modern home with a Celtic tiger mortgage have in common with the eviction of tenant farmers in 19th century Ireland during the Land War?

"A vast social change is gradually taking place in Ireland. The increase of emigration on the part of the bulk of the small capitalists, and the ejectment, by wholesale, of the wretched cottiers, will, in the course of a short time, render quite inappropriate for its new condition the old cry of a redundant population. But this social revolution, however necessary it may be, is accompanied by an amount of human misery that is absolutely appalling." - THE ILLUSTRATED LONDON NEWS. [Dec. 16, 1848.]

Last edited:

corporal punishment

Will the descendants of those evicted today be flying around 100 years hence in Toyota hovervans, organising cyberdag fights and mithering on about " dere culchur" I wonder?.

YouKnowWhatIMeanLike

Will the descendants of those evicted today be flying around 100 years hence in Toyota hovervans, organising cyberdag fights and mithering on about " dere culchur" I wonder?.
I would think most of them were exterminated. the land owners in Ireland had no use for them and I don't know how many of them made it actually to america alive.

Last edited:

marieabennett

Many of those getting evicted now deserve little sympathy (I said many, not all). In my experience they make no effort to repay debt and those that oppose any evictions must think PAYE workers own a magic money tree that will fix all.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies