Evidence that Varadkar is doing a Good Job on Brexit

ruserious

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4940971/irelands-naive-young-prime-minister-should-shut-his-gob-on-brexit-and-grow-up/

The English right wing tabloids are gunning for Varadkar (and Ireland) this morning by reminding the great British public how "we" bailed "them" out in 2010 and now "they" (us) are threatening to stall Brexit negotiations.

Personally feel that this reaction must mean that Leo is doing a good job on Brexit. We have the Brits over a barrel and they know it. I hope they have the stomach to veto progress to trade talks if we don't get enough on the border by December.

But for now, I congratulate Leo and Simon for annoying the sun.

Alan Alda

Varadker is doing what he is told by Tusk and the like.
He has no real say in how Brexit pans out.
Its for other,larger countries to decide.
But yes, he is doing a 'good job' ,if you think treachery is a worthy occupation.

ruserious

You don't realise it, but you reference two outcomes there that are at odds and the heart of the supranationalist/Intergovernmentalist debate in the EU. Frankly, it is boring.

Wascurito

But yes, he is doing a 'good job' ,if you think treachery is a worthy occupation.
No, the word from Brussels is that when it comes the NI/ROI border, they're happy to "take their cue" from Dublin. That was stated on the RTÉ News last night.

Your comments about treachery are silly and hysterical. Get a grip on yourself.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Varadkar and Ireland are useful to the Brussels negotiators for putting pressure on London over the hard border issue.

But when it comes down to it and Brussels and London have a broad agreement Varadkar will be told by Brussels to back off. And he will.

Sync

As long as everyone's happy that whatever soft border and crappy oversight they choose to put in place is going to be funded by the UK and EU centrally, and we don't have to take back anyone crossing the border illegally, I struggle to see the issue with that as an outcome in the short term.

The longer term though will see an influx of english accents in Mosney and hanging around the corners of Dublin begging for a nicker for a cup of rosie lee.

Breaking Point!

owedtojoy

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4940971/irelands-naive-young-prime-minister-should-shut-his-gob-on-brexit-and-grow-up/

The English right wing tabloids are gunning for Varadkar (and Ireland) this morning by reminding the great British public how "we" bailed "them" out in 2010 and now "they" (us) are threatening to stall Brexit negotiations.

Personally feel that this reaction must mean that Leo is doing a good job on Brexit. We have the Brits over a barrel and they know it. I hope they have the stomach to veto progress to trade talks if we don't get enough on the border by December.

But for now, I congratulate Leo and Simon for annoying the sun.
Yes, I think Varadkar played a blinder yesterday. I hope he keeps it up.

The fact is that the UK cannot leave the EU and maintain a soft border in Ireland. It has clearly emerged that these are totally incompatible aims.

The Brits just hope to fudge the issue until the last moment, and then make it look as if the Irish are holding up a deal. The Government is right to demand this is settled now.

Notice the "patriots" (i.e. fascists) attacking Varadkar for not slavishly caving to the Brits. Oh, the irony.

owedtojoy

Varadkar and Ireland are useful to the Brussels negotiators for putting pressure on London over the hard border issue.

But when it comes down to it and Brussels and London have a broad agreement Varadkar will be told by Brussels to back off. And he will.
As I point out, that is exactly the Brits' plan.

Leo Varadkar is right to get the Brits' commitments in writing, now, and not something they can go back on later.

blinding

Leo should be preparing to accept the Six Counties home .

Demographics and Brexit are bringing the Six Counties back . Leo should be preparing and cut out the incessant photoshoots .

hollandia

Apple in Eden

No, the word from Brussels is that when it comes the NI/ROI border, they're happy to "take their cue" from Dublin. That was stated on the RTÉ News last night.

Your comments about treachery are silly and hysterical. Get a grip on yourself.
Ha Ha has to be the joke of the year

Rural

He really sorted them out with those socks.

Close-up of those socks.:)

Wascurito

Nope. Watch the RTÉ news last night and hear the comments from Brussels.

And yeah, I know that in that amoeba-brained P.ie way, you're now going to start sneering about RTE. Go ahead but it's still silly and jaded.

RodShaft

Nope. Watch the RTÉ news last night and hear the comments from Brussels.

And yeah, I know that in that amoeba-brained P.ie way, you're now going to start sneering about RTE. Go ahead but it's still silly and jaded.
Your faith is touching. Leo's every instinct is to side with the UK.

Do you think his poppy wearing antics will have gone unnoticed in Berlin?

Clanrickard

The Sun.....................seriously?

McSlaggart

Your faith is touching. Leo's every instinct is to side with the UK.

I think that blunts the attacks that the UK would like to lunch on him. The UK wish to bundle Northern Ireland up with the likes of Dover and that would truly drive Berlin mad.

Sync

100% yes they will have.

Nothing has changed. Ireland are not being more difficult. France and Germany are not being difficult. The EU stated 3 things needed to see significant progress by December to move on.

1. Citizen rights - progress made, slight tweaks needed, but fair to say it's "Significant".
2. The debt. No figure offered from the UK. Inconsistent messaging from UK govt on if they even owe a debt. No significant progress.
3. NI. No suggested solution offered by the UK. No progress at all.

Pointing these things out is not hardening of positions. It is simply stating fact of progress vs the already agreed priorities.

HenryHorace

Varadkar is possibly the worst leader we have ever had and that's saying something considering the ilk of the competition. Everywhere you look there is a crisis in this country and yet he is off making an absolute arse of himself with his stupid socks and telling the Brits what to do.

Absolute ape.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies