Examiner appointed to Aer Arann

Verhofstadt

Website
Shame, only needed to use them once but it was a good service.

Toughest times in my lifetime.. one wonders what is around the corner?

MsAnneThrope

Aer Arann enters examinership

Irish Times, August 26th 2010: Aer Arann enters examinership

Regional airline Aer Arann has entered voluntary examinership after posting losses of some €18.5 million since 2008.

The company employs 320 people.

The petition to enter examinership was made by the company in the High Court this evening following a resolution by its board of directors [...]

The judge [set] September 8th for a full hearing of the company’s application and in the meantime the airline is in interim examinership and under the protection of the court.

In a statement, the airline said it intended to operate normally during the period of examinership and that it would fly all Aer Arann services and all Aer Lingus Regional services operated under its franchise agreement with Aer Lingus.
This will surely have an effect on future bookings though? Have they a future?

LeDroit

Bound to happen. All the small players in every industry are going to the wall, they don't have the asset/bank support. We are in a period of evolution, the survival of the fittest. After this period we will be back to an era of monopolies/duopolies in virtually every industry which is the best indicator yet that we are going to hit a massive inflationary cycle once the Market has cleared the minnows and the bloated.

PUFF DADDY

Bound to happen. All the small players in every industry are going to the wall, they don't have the asset/bank support. We are in a period of evolution, the survival of the fittest. After this period we will be back to an era of monopolies/duopolies in virtually every industry which is the best indicator yet that we are going to hit a massive inflationary cycle once the Market has cleared the minnows and the bloated.
Agree, scarey times.

Used Aer Arann, once in an emergency need to get to Kerry asap, have to say was v.impressed. They were advertising UK flights last wk.

TODevastated

it is sad to see some of our biggest names go to the wall

the only people who benefit from the examinership process are the examiners themselves and the lawyers involved in the process

gijoe

They were doing a big sale only a few days ago. The owner was lauded as the entrepreneur of the year only a few a years ago. He has big FF connections. The loss of the Kerry PSO to Ryanair I know was a big blow to them.

All the airports will be in the hole bigtime. Although they have the option of sizing aircraft to pay debts I think a number of Aer Arann's fleet is leased. How the hell can they make such losses. The aircraft they fly cost less than $20m a pop, the pilots for turboprops are not paid that much and the fuel they use per sector is really low.

DCon

Well this is a great shame, if Aer Arann go, Michael to the rescue ?

Grant Thornton are been kept busy though.

Examiner appointed to Aer Arann | BreakingNews.ie
Could Aer Lingus be a more likely partner than Ryanair.

I would imagine Aer Arann's spot at London City would be of more interest to Aer Lingus, especially with BA running a London City to New York (with a stop in Ireland to clear immigration) business class only jet, Could Aer Lingus run a competing service?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17573

I would imagine er Arann's spot at London City would be of more interest to Aer Lingus, especially with BA running a London City to New York (with a stop in Ireland to clear immigration) business class only jet, Could Aer Lingus run a competing service?
Beat me to it!!

controller

This was bound to happen. They were on a lot of government subsidized routes. The first time I flew with them I was reminded of Biggles, with the propeller planes and the lack of room. While there were nice, they were just not as slick as Ryan Air

Biggles dot Com - The Biggles Information Site

darkhorse

Full credit must be given to the Irish Aviation Authority for unnecessarily closing Irish airspace back in April / May. They really know how to manage the aviation industry...

Dr. Astro

Being from Galway I have flown with Aer Arann on several occasions and have friends that work in Carnmore Airport.

I cannot say that I have had a good service from Aer Arann, as flights do get cancelled, postponed, rescheduled within 60 minutes of the scheduled flight time.

I heard recently from UK relatives that Aer Arann are unreliable, and I had to agree with them from my own experience.

I have heard from employees and exemployees at Carnmore Airport (Galway Airport) that O'Ceidigh is an out an' out pr**k and believes that he is the employer of all those that work there.

Its sad for the workers at the regional airports if Aer Arann does go under as no doubt the airports will as well!

CookieMonster

I would imagine Aer Arann's spot at London City would be of more interest to Aer Lingus, especially with BA running a London City to New York (with a stop in Ireland to clear immigration) business class only jet, Could Aer Lingus run a competing service?
Aer Arran don't fly to LCY from Ireland, it's Isle of Man - LCY.

Upper Chamber

This was bound to happen. They were on a lot of government subsidized routes. The first time I flew with them I was reminded of Biggles, with the propeller planes and the lack of room. While there were nice, they were just not as slick as Ryan Air

Biggles dot Com - The Biggles Information Site[/QUOT

Well now 'controller', what might your agenda be?
'Propellor planes', otherwise known as turbo props are used because they have performance advantages over jets in small airports. It's a niche carrier therefore it would use smaller aircraft, not a big need for 747s between regional airports. Impressive showing such knowledge of aviation though......
It's an examinership, not receivership, relatively mild and protection from creditors.
It's a good operator despite Ryanair trying a few of it's wrecking tactics by going after Kerry and Cork and should survive, probably by Aer Lingus taking a bigger share, their two markets suit each other for people who need flights that go to major cities and connect to other flights.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies