• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Examiner:RAF tornado jets could shoot down hijacked planes in Irish airspace in event of terror attack

Vega1447

Examiner:RAF tornado jets could shoot down hijacked planes in Irish airspace in event of terror attack

British Tornado fighter jets will shoot down aircraft in Irish airspace if they are hijacked by terrorists for a 9/11-style attack.
RAF tornado jets could shoot down hijacked planes in Irish airspace in event of terror attack | Irish Examiner

I suppose this is a leak from the Defence Forces.

Am I alone in thinking that the first duty of a State is the defence of the territory, which includes its airspace?

I also see that the Govt plan to spend nearly 200 million on the Rugby World Cup.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/world-cup/2023-world-cup-bid-to-cost-ireland-a-whopping-164m-31533658.html

Depending on the Brits to defend Irish airspace cannot be excused on the basis of poverty.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Am I alone in thinking that the first duty of a State is the defence of the territory, which includes its airspace?
We outsourced defence to NATO decades ago. Still doesn't stop some Irish people sniping at those who pay to keep us safe in our beds.

IrishFreedom

Twitter
MitchfireMark
We outsourced defence to NATO decades ago. Still doesn't stop some Irish people sniping at those who pay to keep us safe in our beds.
It's called 'realism'. We've seen the effects of NATO intervention in Libya and look how that turned out.

cozzy121

Any Idea which would be the cheaper way of defending ones' airspace.
Fighters or SAMs?

Vega1447

Foreigners getting access to our air space don't do it out of kindness.

And we can afford to defend ourselves.

Orbit v2

What's the alternative? Spending hundreds of millions on an airforce. No thanks.

I suppose we could put the contract out to either Nato or Russia and see who offers the best deal ... not :roll:

Cruimh

RAF tornado jets could shoot down hijacked planes in Irish airspace in event of terror attack | Irish Examiner

I also see that the Govt plan to spend nearly 200 million on the Rugby World Cup.
2023 World Cup bid to cost Ireland a whopping

Depending on the Brits to defend Irish airspace cannot be excused on the basis of poverty.
This should hardly come as a shock - the issue was raised in the Dáil after 9/11 and it was made clear by the government at the time that they were relying on the UK

Vega1447

RasherHash

Lol, that's like saying the USSR/Russia keeps the smaller countries on its border 'safe in their beds'.

RasherHash

Any Idea which would be the cheaper way of defending ones' airspace.
Fighters or SAMs?
Buying expensive weapons to keep the military-industrial complex in even more moolah won't keep you safe.

RasherHash

What's the alternative? Spending hundreds of millions on an airforce. No thanks.

I suppose we could put the contract out to either Nato or Russia and see who offers the best deal ... not :roll:
Or China, they'll probably be doing it in a hundred years or so anyway.

purpledon

No we did not outsource anything. We've just ignored the fact that as an independent state we should have the capacity to defend ourselves.

We still ignore this fact.

FG would rather spend €85 million on getting info on how to bill people for water to a particular company and spend half a billion euro on setting up a now defunct utility.

FF would rather give €1 for every €4 saved and spend over €1.2 billion through the SSIA savings scheme and give €6,000 for every child under 6 costing the state another €1.2 billion. All this in the last decade.

I wonder what the state could have bought for our defence forces for €2.7 billion.

Half Nelson

2023 World Cup bid to cost Ireland a whopping

Don't you mean EU Airspace?

Parade Boy

What about the breach of sovereignty?
Is anyone concerned about the secrecy of this deal and the fact that it was never publicised until it was given by someone to a journalist?
We may not wish to invest heavily in defence....however, has there been any mature discussion about this and why and the consequences of this....in any public forum?

Cruimh

What about the breach of sovereignty?
Is anyone concerned about the secrecy of this deal and the fact that it was never publicised until it was given by someone to a journalist?
We may not wish to invest heavily in defence....however, has there been any mature discussion about this and why and the consequences of this....in any public forum?
Surely, for reasons of national security, anti-terrorist plans need to be kept secret?

silverharp

I don't have a problem with a small country doing a deal with a bigger neighbour. it doesn't make the smaller country any less sovereign.

cozzy121

I don't think i would trust the Irish defense forces with either , anyway jets are noisy things , think of all the new deafness claims .
:roll: Cheap shot that doesn't add anything to the debate.

Buying expensive weapons to keep the military-industrial complex in even more moolah won't keep you safe.
A reasonable point, but I don't think allowing a foreign airforce have the shoot-to-kill decision over our own airspace does much for our own safety either.

So Again if we do need to shoot something down, which is cheaper, fighters or SAM sytems?

Dame_Enda

The Left don't want us to upgrade our own defence yet object when we ask a neighbouring state to help out. Walk the Walk. If we want to defend ourselves to any degree then spend the required sums. Put up or shut up.

Personally I think we should aim for a Swiss style neutrality with the required sums. Otherwise we have no option but to rely on NATO officially or unofficially.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies