Examples of How Little the British know about Ireland

Rural

Now, did I say all of them?
A lot of them. Right, you're off the hook then.

All I was trying to point out is that us Irish are not all that important in the whole scheme of things in the world. I was not "putting down" a whole Continent because I know that Ireland is not as important as some like to think it is, I especially didn't call anyone "as thick as dog s****" either.

We need to know our own history (without getting all angry about it) because it teaches us not to repeat mistakes. As regards geography, we brought our two lads to every corner of Ireland (thank you family hostels) before we ever brought them to see any other country.

McTell

blinding

Why would Ireland be in any way important on the Island of Britain ?

Ireland is too small and inconsequential ! That is why Ireland is always looking for pets on the head / belly rubs / validation from Foreigners ! ! !

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
Why would Ireland be in any way important on the Island of Britain ?
Which one of the six dozen or so inhabited islands of geographic Great Britain are you picking out there? It surely couldn't be Iona or Lindisfarne, both of which have a strong attachment to things Irish. And both of which should be on everyone's bucket list.

Ireland is neither too small nor inconsequential. It is the second (or third, if Iceland is included) largest island in all of Europe.

blinding

Which one of the six dozen or so inhabited islands of geographic Great Britain are you picking out there? It surely couldn't be Iona or Lindisfarne, both of which have a strong attachment to things Irish. And both of which should be on everyone's bucket list.

Ireland is neither too small nor inconsequential. It is the second (or third, if Iceland is included) largest island in all of Europe.
Like I said of No Importance. Minor place of Minority Interest. Perhaps interesting because it is so Irrelevant ! ! !

RodShaft

Actually, not one country in Europe understands the Irish, it is not uniquely an English thing and we should not be so harsh on them.

Yesterday I went to a Spanish hospital because I need a procedure done on a lump that shouldn't be there, they took my details from my Passport and my surname is now "Éireannach".:rolleyes:
Exactly the same happened to me getting a ticket for an Amtrak train in California around 15 years ago. Twins.

petaljam

Actually, not one country in Europe understands the Irish, it is not uniquely an English thing and we should not be so harsh on them.

Yesterday I went to a Spanish hospital because I need a procedure done on a lump that shouldn't be there, they took my details from my Passport and my surname is now "Éireannach".:rolleyes:
:D

(Hope the health is okay, Rural and that the op fixed it.)

The incident reminded me of this:
Rogue driver Prawo is lost in translation

McSlaggart

Like I said of No Importance. Minor place of Minority Interest. Perhaps interesting because it is so Irrelevant ! ! !

I have always been amazed at how much people of Austira love the Celtic aspect of Ireland.

Ardillaun

It reminds me of the time that Beth Webster, a member of BBCs Eggheads quiz team, thought that the population of the Republic of Ireland was 24.8 million (when given multiple choice options of 4.8m, 14.8m or 24.8m).
In the pre-Google era, a Canadian of Indian (South Asian) extraction visited his country of birth and mentioned to some friends that Canada had a population of 26 million. Disbelief was general. What nonsense, surely he meant 260 million?

We Canadians know an awful lot more about the Yanks than they do about us and we’re a bit neurotic about it:

I‘d say this dynamic occurs wherever a smaller nation borders a larger one and shares a language.

Last edited:

RodShaft

McSlaggart

blinding

Why can’t Irish People come to Terms with Being of Absolutely no Importance ! !

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom