Examples of "pervasive civic ignorance" in Ireland: please list.

Congalltee

Pervasive civic ignorance was a phrase coined by former Justice Souter 2012, where he lamented cuts in teaching civics and foretold the risk of a strong man taking advantage. The clip is doing the rounds now, for obvious reasons and it was mentioned by Gene Kerrigan.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rWcVtWennr0

The Brexit debate (particularly the reaction to an independent judiciary upholding the law in deciding that parliament make the law) is another example of this " pervasive civic ignorance" being seized upon by opportunists to cause confusion, bigotry and present an easy as solution.

What examples are there from Ireland?

1. water protesters giving out about the president signing bills.
2. We should just spend the apple money.
3. The magic money tree: Wanting tax cuts, increased public services and higher pay for gardai, nurses, teachers.
4. Lack of understanding about freedom of movement in the EU.
5. Lack of any real understanding about the EU.

sic transit

Thinking the Dail can be cancelled on a whim.
Lack of understanding as to why people vote for anyone they don't like.
No grasp of how people get elected.
All manner of rights allegedly conferred by the constitution.
Alien nature of civic duty.

stopdoingstuff

Thinking that there is some sort of connection between what you vote for and what the people you elect actually do.

Lúidín

Thinking you can pass off Fine Gael lounge chat as political debate.

GDPR

I'll bite.

1. If you are from Northern Ireland, you are British and have no entitlement to either natural or juridical citizenship of our shyte-hole. Because that is what the GFA said.

2. The current defamation laws are four square with civil liberties, because shewer yer ma told you not to make a show of yourself.

3. The 8th Amendment which gives equal rights to a foetus and a live human being is an example of how sophisticated and compassionate and truly meaningful our law is, instead of a laughing stock.

Congalltee

Thinking the Dail can be cancelled on a whim.
Lack of understanding as to why people vote for anyone they don't like.
No grasp of how people get elected.
All manner of rights conferred by the constitution.
Alien nature of civic duty.

The voting system is a mystery to many. 1% of total vot is spoiled not be protest but people putting in two or more ticks or X's.

What do you mean by cancelling the sail on a whim?

stopdoingstuff

I'll bite.

1. If you are from Northern Ireland, you are British and have no entitlement to either natural or juridical citizenship of our shyte-hole. Because that is what the GFA said.

2. The current defamation laws are four square with civil liberties, because shewer yer ma told you not to make a show of yourself.

3. The 8th Amendment which gives equal rights to a foetus and a live human being is an example of how sophisticated and compassionate and truly meaningful our law is, instead of a laughing stock.
Queer (joking - 2/3 is not bad).

edifice.

That 'restoring confidence to the markets' is the panacea for all financial woes.

sic transit

The voting system is a mystery to many. 1% of total vot is spoiled not be protest but people putting in two or more ticks or X's.

What do you mean by cancelling the sail on a whim?
The irrational demand for a new Dail when things don't go as they imagined. So I suppose it's really how a government can fall not how unpopular they are.

sic transit

I'll bite.

Another bugbear of mine, thinking that the Constitution is the place for anything like this in the first place.

Sister Mercedes

Judges who think there's a magic money tree to pay ridiculous damages for minor personal injuries and PTSD for tripping on an apple.

GDPR

The government exists to get me and my family grand good jobs, and I didnt do all that leafletting without an expectation I would be set.

Shewer, to have a pissed-drunk Taoiseach in charge of a existential crisis for my country is just like when daddy came home and hit ma. He shared his chips afterwards.

The Guards is bastards, but you know, what we would do without them?

GDPR

That the basis of the Sh*t-Hole Republic wasnt the rule of law but the rule of whoever gets to make the law.

In some ways highly sophisticated, but in brute terms, not you, mate :D

Sotired

That the condition of Twink's little doggie, Kim Kardashian's arse, Benedict Cumberpatche's latest girlfriend and how he copes with his celebrity status, and whatever any celebrity has to say on any subject is news, and is of any relevance whatsoever.

New Threads

Most Replies