All laws are rituals consented to and renewed in each moment. This only becomes really obvious in times of revolution when the ritual is no longer adhered to. I suspect the freemasons are very aware that there is nothing but form and ritual. Language too is a social ritual but people tend to believe the words themselves and make gods of ideologies as 'things in themselves'. A golden calf as it were, a fundamental error.Pervasive civic ignorance was a phrase coined by former Justice Souter 2012, where he lamented cuts in teaching civics and foretold the risk of a strong man taking advantage. The clip is doing the rounds now, for obvious reasons and it was mentioned by Gene Kerrigan.
The Brexit debate (particularly the reaction to an independent judiciary upholding the law in deciding that parliament make the law) is another example of this " pervasive civic ignorance" being seized upon by opportunists to cause confusion, bigotry and present an easy as solution.
What examples are there from Ireland?
1. water protesters giving out about the president signing bills.
2. We should just spend the apple money.
3. The magic money tree: Wanting tax cuts, increased public services and higher pay for gardai, nurses, teachers.
4. Lack of understanding about freedom of movement in the EU.
5. Lack of any real understanding about the EU.
Feel free to join others on a new thread about it. Marriage was already there, it was just updated and redefined. The constitution is really not a place to dump things that a government doesn't want someone else undoing.That's precisely how I feel about SSM.