Examples of "pervasive civic ignorance" in Ireland: please list.

Beachcomber

Pervasive civic ignorance was a phrase coined by former Justice Souter 2012, where he lamented cuts in teaching civics and foretold the risk of a strong man taking advantage. The clip is doing the rounds now, for obvious reasons and it was mentioned by Gene Kerrigan.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rWcVtWennr0

The Brexit debate (particularly the reaction to an independent judiciary upholding the law in deciding that parliament make the law) is another example of this " pervasive civic ignorance" being seized upon by opportunists to cause confusion, bigotry and present an easy as solution.

What examples are there from Ireland?

1. water protesters giving out about the president signing bills.
2. We should just spend the apple money.
3. The magic money tree: Wanting tax cuts, increased public services and higher pay for gardai, nurses, teachers.
4. Lack of understanding about freedom of movement in the EU.
5. Lack of any real understanding about the EU.

"Examples of "pervasive civic ignorance" in Ireland: please list."

Sinn Fein.

hollandia

Pervasive civic ignorance was a phrase coined by former Justice Souter 2012, where he lamented cuts in teaching civics and foretold the risk of a strong man taking advantage. The clip is doing the rounds now, for obvious reasons and it was mentioned by Gene Kerrigan.

The Brexit debate (particularly the reaction to an independent judiciary upholding the law in deciding that parliament make the law) is another example of this " pervasive civic ignorance" being seized upon by opportunists to cause confusion, bigotry and present an easy as solution.

3. The magic money tree: Wanting tax cuts, increased public services and higher pay for gardai, nurses, teachers.
That this is in anyway a functioning society.

In. Any. Way.

raspberry tea

I think the problem is in Ireland we do not know how much control has been taken from us,the rothschilds for example took over the central bank of Ireland in 1942,we ARE ireland inc....And a dumbed down nation,sure denis o' leprechaun owns a lot of radio media and papers in ireland,he is muscling in...And we roll over and pretend like it doesn't even matter,switch on the eastenders or twitter or football etc....Were brainwashed dumbed down consumers,nothing to see here....I can guarantee you there is not one part of land in ireland that is not owned....From the hills to the valleys someone owns some bit of property,and a lot of it has been long eaten up by landlord vultures,even on the hills where mobile antennae are there are disputes over profitable scrub land that can give good tv/mobile reception etc...

Blokesbloke

is that odd as in not all there upstairs, or odd as in one in 78
Well both really, though to be fair 1 in 78 would be a very, very conservative estimate for the denizens of P.ie.

Still, I suppose that just means even those not all there are capable of adoring me, so there's hope for those ones, anyway.

Blokesbloke

To be fair, OP, is Ireland really any worse than many other countries for all this guff?

Some Irish on here seem determined to believe that only the Irish (excepting themselves, generally) suffer from these maladies, but surely it's pretty common it many places?

Don't be so hard on yourselves!

GDPR

To be fair, OP, is Ireland really any worse than many other countries for all this guff?

Some Irish on here seem determined to believe that only the Irish (excepting themselves, generally) suffer from these maladies, but surely it's pretty common it many places?

The difference, BB, is that because you can fit the entire Irish electorate into one suburb of London, they know up close and personal who is screwing them over.

They have also offered their arse up for a good shafting in person, if they have any kind of stake and didnt have to get on a boat or plane.

In England, with about 60 million people, you can live your whole life while it happens somewhere else, over your head.

Congalltee

I did cite Brexit and Trump. The burkini ban in France was another example of bypassing any civic rights, until the Cours d'etat set them straight. But the Gendarmes did enforce it, including after citizens reported Muslim women.

Congalltee

Another example is an ongoing jury trial, where may websites (including this one) are allowing discussion about the trial, the witnesses and the make-up of the jury.

It is very dodgy position.
Paper fined

Last edited:

Mushroom

I can guarantee you there is not one part of land in ireland that is not owned....From the hills to the valleys someone owns some bit of property,and a lot of it has been long eaten up by landlord vultures,even on the hills where mobile antennae are there are disputes over profitable scrub land that can give good tv/mobile reception etc...

Given that land has a value, it's hardly surprising that every piece of land in Ireland is owned by someone; and quite a lot of it is owned by the State - i.e. by you and me.

What, if anything, is your problem with this and what is your preferred alternative?

Should we amend Article 43 of the Constitution? Please discuss; using the current SVH/NMH controversy to illustrate your reply if you think that it will help!

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No

That in order to get a passport or to communicate with government in any way, shape or form you have to get a councillor or a TD to forward your communication.

Which then allows the TD or councillor to expect a vote based on something the citizen can do for themselves. I realise that there are some people who are reluctant to deal with civil or public servants direct because of a lack of confidence in their ability to communicate in writing and so on but surely this notion that the TD 'gets' you something that your are quite easily able to get assistance with from the department with is one of the most pervasive civil ignorances in Ireland and feeds directly into such ludicrous claims as John O'Donoghue made in Kerry when turfed out on his arse at a General Election while claiming to have built a public building 'with his own two hands'.

Talk Back

People saying Ireland gained its independence from England is always good for a laugh.

Cdebru

Thinking the Dail can be cancelled on a whim.
Lack of understanding as to why people vote for anyone they don't like.
No grasp of how people get elected.
All manner of rights allegedly conferred by the constitution.
Alien nature of civic duty.
The whole Freemen movement, that you can just opt out, and then the law no longer applies to you.

Blokesbloke

People saying Ireland gained its independence from England is always good for a laugh.
Well 26 counties of it did.

And it's Britain, not England.

Blokesbloke

The whole Freemen movement, that you can just opt out, and then the law no longer applies to you.
Oh God yes they are so incredibly annoying.

Blokesbloke

Really do you think so? I find them hilarious. However if I was a Police woman or a Judge I think I would take quite a harsh attitude to their wackiness.
I certainly would too! Irritating creatures.

GDPR

I certainly would too! Irritating creatures.
I don't really understand the whole point of it because they know damn well that no court or police person is going accept their waffle. I have heard about one case in the ROI when someone tried the whole spiel on a Judge and the Judge sent him away to a psychiatric hospital which I actually find understandable because the thing is just so utterly irrational.

raspberry tea

Given that land has a value, it's hardly surprising that every piece of land in Ireland is owned by someone; and quite a lot of it is owned by the State - i.e. by you and me.

What, if anything, is your problem with this and what is your preferred alternative?

Should we amend Article 43 of the Constitution? Please discuss; using the current SVH/NMH controversy to illustrate your reply if you think that it will help!

I never said the alternative would be to go back to the stone age,or even suggested it,however land ,most land should be in PRIVATE OWNERSHIP! AND it should be ILLEGAL for any landlord to own more than one apartment complex or so many acres of land to be re-zoned. Private ownership by individuals should be encouraged and prioritised!!!!!!We have enough greedy,BLOATED red-faced landlords hoarding up all the land they can get their fat grubby hands on!!!!!!!!!

New Threads

Top Bottom