• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Excessive salaries the elephant in the room

Disillusioned democrat

There are many well established examples of state and semi-state officials getting ridiculous and frankly obscene salaries for quite ordinary jobs. To me this is the real elephant in the room as far as leading the way to becoming more competitive, and the importance of this was highlighted in the recent figures on inflation…as the rest of the country tightens it’s belt the state is actually becoming MORE expensive to run, and contributes more misery to already hard pressed tax payers – direct or indirect.
Leaders lead, and I would expect a real leader to reduce all quangos, semi-states and public sector salaries, including TDs and ministers, to practical levels given the circumstances. Let the market decide if people no longer wish to stay in the state’s employment, but I very much doubt that someone like the CEO of the DAA would move on if his 500k + bonus was reduced to 150k, etc. Once the Celtic Tiger salaries are gone we can as a nation start to move on, but as long as the elite still retain the trappings of success while Joe Randomer struggles we’ll get nowhere.

Watcher2

A very sensible idea and not because I think the savings will get us out of any deep hole we are in but because of the impact such a decision would have on the mindset. Those in the ivory towers will have more credibility if they make such decisions.

laidback

Notice that in all the speculative articles about possible budget cuts, no journalist is mentioning possible cuts in politicians expenses, salaries or the pay and perks of those the opening poster is talking about

johnnypockets

It would be absolutely brilliant if it happened but there is simply no way. Not without a dictatorship anyway. Turkeys won't vote for Christmas.

William D

It is not just the headline salaries --add in 35 hour working weeks or less,flexi time , breaks, annual leave 30 days +, privilege days, no effective performance management ,closed recruitment & promotion system ,pension etc etc . That is the real reason why our public sector costs are so expensive compared to other countries .

darkhorse

The elephant in the room is the huge number of ps workers and pensioners paid by the state - not the salaries of the top rung.

stanley

Its gotta start at the top of the Celtic Pussy tree, take the perks off Ahern and let him drive himself around the place in his own car.

Collier and his entourage at DAA next, would agree with dropping him to 10k per month and his colleagues taking similar hit, if he can get a better number elsewhere well fup off Declan and close the after you, State should rip his legal contract up or supercede it with another one.

The politicians and semi-states ridiculous perks and salaries have to go, one by one.

making waves

The elephant in the room is the huge number of ps workers and pensioners paid by the state - not the salaries of the top rung.
Yes indeed - bash the public sector and give tax beaks to the bankers and PS CEO's earning €millions

Rural

A very sensible idea and not because I think the savings will get us out of any deep hole we are in but because of the impact such a decision would have on the mindset. Those in the ivory towers will have more credibility if they make such decisions.
If the savings were just put into a special fund to give a hand to those people who are really suffering because of the mismanagement in these bodies (I know of a hospital who ordered several months supply of headed paper etc. only a couple of weeks before it became part of the HSE & had to dump it all).

There are people out there with massive mortgages & no job, they are not eating so as to pay the mortgage. Put the money into food vouchers.

Socratus O' Pericles

Low-income families 'struggling' to survive - RT News

This report shows starkly the disparity. There is a proposal to tax everybody in the budget -this will throw more and mor low paid people onto FIS. The lower ranks in the army are already on it as are many C.O.s who happen to be single mothers. A most inequitable society.

former wesleyan

If a reduction in salaries in the public sector was matched by a rigorous policing of the private sector where it rips off the state there might be something to be said for it. It's often forgotten that the state is a consumer of goods and services.

Sue Donim

It is not just the headline salaries --add in 35 hour working weeks or less,flexi time , breaks, annual leave 30 days +, privilege days, no effective performance management ,closed recruitment & promotion system ,pension etc etc . That is the real reason why our public sector costs are so expensive compared to other countries .
Failed the Clerical Officer exams in 2006 did you?

The kid outside the sweetshop, looking through the window at all the nice sweets, but who has failed the entry exam will always decry those who have passed it and can so access the sweets in return for fair effort.

Your comments smack of petty jealousy, nothing more.

Last edited:
I've said it before and it would appear that I have to say it again. The public/private sector divide is a false divide (the starting wage for a Clerical Officer in the civil service is 24K for instance ) The divide is between those at the top (senior management in banks, multi-nationals, civil service, semi states etc) and those at the bottom. Senior management in whatever sector are protecting their position at the expense of those at the bottom (by the way I am not a raving marxist recovering from a 40 year coma)

Rural

I think that the original post was more about reducing the enormous wages of the "higher ups" of the public service to something more reasonable, like reducing €400,000 to €150,000. Get rid of the bonuses (which they get whether deserved or not) & make Ireland feel a tiny bit better through all this.

Not PS against PS

I think that the original post was more about reducing the enormous wages of the "higher ups" of the public service to something more reasonable, like reducing €400,000 to €150,000. Get rid of the bonuses (which they get whether deserved or not) & make Ireland feel a tiny bit better through all this.

Not PS against PS
It did, but it very quickly degenerated into the usual public private round of abuse. But if public servants salaries of 500K are 'enormous', what word would you use to describe any bank executive, director of a multi national etc etc

Yeah that's the word I was thinking of. But it just shows that much of the anger is misplaced and falsely focussed between public and private workers which is a distraction between from where the anger should be.

Hoopshead

Not PS against PS
Whose gonna be the first politican to say this............dont hold your breath.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies