• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Executing Tans

Lain2016

On 3 February 1921 at Dromkeen, Limerick the East and Mid Limerick Brigades IRA, some 45 riflemen, under the command of Donnocha O'Hannigan ambushed a Royal Irish Constabulary (RIC) patrol, killing 11 policemen, mostly Black and Tans.

Several of the surviving Tans were subsequently executed because their ‘actions had been treacherous.’ Maurice Mead carried out the executions.

Meade writes: ‘O’Hannigan called me and said “Hey Maurice will you shoot one of them?” I agreed to do so. He gave Stapleton the job of executing the other. I took my man down the road and shot him. Then I went down to see how Stapleton was getting on and found that he disliked the job and did not want to do it, so I took the fellow over and executed him. Adams and either Foody or Doyle - were to die from Meade’s gun, executed after being captured. Another had earlier been shot by Meade upon surrendering. He was ‘treacherous’, explained Meade in his memoirs. All three had the wounds to the back of the neck consistent with an execution.
Maurice Meade

An interesting video of the ambush site and some local history of the incident by Phil Cleary:

Phil Cleary - views on politics, people, history and world sport.

[video=youtube_share;iN33MPq-Slw]http://youtu.be/iN33MPq-Slw[/video]

edifice.

The Good Old IRA.......

eoghanacht

Last edited:

Seanie Lemass

Good enough for them.

Was saying on the Guy Fawkes thread we should have public holiday for execution of traitors. Bloody Sunday maybe?

nonpartyboy

My "people" are from just down the road and were involved in the war of independence, is there a list of men who were in action that day ?

Seanie Lemass

Depends of course what exactly the treacherous action was.

There was a vote on whether to execute by the officers involved and they voted for by 3 to 2.

War is hell...

I was being facetious. We were not ruthless enough. Too soft so we are.

Ernesto Guevara

Interesting stuff...

The decision taken was the correct one. The Tans had no problem executing Meade's comrades.

Seanie Lemass

My "people" are from just down the road and were involved in the war of independence, is there a list of men who were in action that day ?

Check out the Bureau of Military History statements on NAI site. I'd say there is something there. Look for the names mentioned above. I find though that in relation to Dublin, where there was on average several operations a day for two years, that you sometimes only find people by reading other peoples statements. I had relations who were either dead by the time they were taken or refused to give one, but they are mentioned in other statements. There is a wealth of stuff there and not been much used by historians.

Didimus

Depends of course what exactly the treacherous action was.

There was a vote on whether to execute by the officers involved and they voted for by 3 to 2.

War is hell...
Well if there was a vote to execute prisoners that would make it ok.

Didimus

Interesting stuff...

The decision taken was the correct one. The Tans had no problem executing Meade's comrades.
Indeed.
The Tans behaviour was so reprehensible that it had to be copied.
Ex-British Army servicemen shooting prisoners, some of whom were wounded.
Or was that Maurice?

edifice.

Indeed.
The Tans behaviour was so reprehensible that it had to be copied.
Ex-British Army servicemen shooting prisoners, some of whom were wounded.
Or was that Maurice?
No, it had to be confronted and challenged!

Lain2016

Well if there was a vote to execute prisoners that would make it ok.
You'd have to know all the facts ..the Tans were seen as a terrorist force brought in to force the people into submission, they were thought of as 'the dregs of British jails', which wasnt true but armies usually dehumanise their enemy...in order to be able to slaughter them liberally.

The Yanks are not taking the lives of teenage boys in Afghanistan...they are wasting rag-heads.

bogtrotter

You'd have to know all the facts ..the Tans were seen as a terrorist force brought in to force the people into submission, they were thought of as 'the dregs of British jails', which wasnt true but armies usually dehumanise their enemy...in order to be able to slaughter them liberally.

The Yanks are not taking the lives of teenage boys in Afghanistan...they are wasting rag-heads.

Whats a rag -head....Is it a human being?

Didimus

I'm pretty familar with the facts.
Young men high on adrenalin, brutalised by war experiences, etc etc.
Tans - and Maurice.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies